Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider what happens in an overrun condition. Modern engine management means the injectors will be "off", absolutely no fuel going into the engine so no exhaust. Is it possible that there would be a slight vacuum in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens in that condition? I think yes. Probably not much but it wouldn't take much to suck in a chunk of exhaust wheel so close to the exhaust valve.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened to Nick's 1JZ back in the day! Ah, good memories.
    Norbie!

Comment

There's still air going through and thus there's still some exhaust even if the throttle is closed. No fuel doesn't mean no exhaust.

Comment

I thought “on average” there’s air flowing through; but without knowing, I’d believe it if someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about told me that pulses/waves could result in brief heading back the other way?
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
          No fuel doesn't mean no exhaust.
          No exhaust in the sense of combustion byproducts with vastly greater volume than the inlet charge. Yes there is air being expelled which is technically "exhaust" but not the same thing at all. And there's no rule to say the airflow has to be strictly one way, there's certainly no mechanical process preventing reverse flow.
          Norbie!

Comment

I guess another potential factor is manifold orientation. As in a high mount manifold would probably have a higher chance of a piece of turbine entering the motor due to being gravity assisted.

another thing i was thinking was what about in the case of a factory twin setup like on a 1j, turbines back to back, and a cat not that far down stream.
            one wheel lets go. Other one still going, shit bouncing around all over the shop, somethings bound to end up somewhere non good.

Comment

Worked on a mobile crane with a Mercedes truck V8, front of the impeller blades had been impacted by a mystery object. Finally found a piece of steel in a resonance chamber off the intake duct. To get there from the turbo it had to bounce off the blades, back through 2 or 3 90 deg bends, through about a 2" hole into the chamber. Thing was about the size of a rice bubble, mostly polished surface from repeated hits on the impeller. Strange shit happens.

Comment

One of the kids I employ is looking at a 2009 Outback 3.6L Premium, 170k for $10k - anything particular on them that goes bang and he needs to look out for?

Comment

Is Galston Gorge the darkest place in Sydney of a night?
                  Originally posted by Marlin
                  Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
                    No, try Beaconsfield park toilets...

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
                      I doubt it, I reckon you can probably do better by heading to one of the Nasho beaches that's halfway between Sydney & Wollongong, to avoid the light pollution from both. Galston Gorge is pretty close to Hornsberry.

Are the spray-oils as used by filters that need oiling all much the same?
                      I've got a "Redline" branded cone filter on the Volvo in a home-made air-box, as I couldn't see a way to get a factory air-box to fit neatly. I've nearly run out of the spray oil in the maintenance kit. K&N cleaner/oil kits seem pretty common, wondering if I can use that stuff in future? It's probably just linseed oil with some pink dye ... ?
                      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I've been using the K+N spray on with a Redline filter on my Mini for about five years and nothing has exploded yet. I'd say you'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                          I've been using the K+N spray on with a Redline filter on my Mini for about five years and nothing has exploded yet. I'd say you'll be good.
                          Fuck me, someone else with a Redline filter!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                            Fuck me, someone else with a Redline filter!!!
                            We Mini types like archaic technology. Ironically that filter replaced another filter that was even worse.

I particularly like how you have to soak the filter in flammable liquid to clean it, then squeeze out the flammable liquid and cover it in flame retardant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                              I particularly like how you have to soak the filter in flammable liquid to clean it, then squeeze out the flammable liquid and cover it in flame retardant.
                              As mentioned ... I tried a couple of Volvo and even a VS airbox in the Volvo, no dice.
                              Was reminded in the last two days of WHY I was looking for something standard to fit. Flicked the radio on in the garage when I started replacing the Commode air-filter, the song had already started, flicked the radio off when complete & the rubbish was in the bin ... song hadn't finished yet.
                              Volvo with aftermarket filter was 8 screws to remove aluminium lid off air-box, undo oversized hos-clamp holding filter on, hunt around for the K&N cleaning spray (because Redline cleaning spray bottle empty), squirt-squirt (OK only 30 seconds), let it sit for 10 minutes, run many litres of warm water through, tap dry, more squirt-squirt, 10 more minutes, more many litres, takes almost 2 entire days to dry, then try to get an even coverage of oil despite the whacky shape at the top of the cone & reinstall.

I don't think even a track off Love Over Gold could've spanned that!

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                                I don't think even a track off Love Over Gold could've spanned that!
                                There are a few Pink Floyd tracks that could have done the job.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X