Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gin Kii View Post
    Not car but scooter.

Can I put a 90/90-14 tyre on a 14 x 2.15" rim and a 80/90-14 on a 14 x 1.85" rim ?

Seems to me I can but have zero knowledge when it comes to bike wheels and tires.
    I don't think there is any dramas matching rim width with tyre width. Where you could come unstuck is a tyre could be too wide to fit between the forks and/or swing arm. Only way to be sure is borrow and test one (fitted to a rim). Remember to put air in it because they will expand a bit.

Comment

Not really a car question.
      How do you remove powdercoat where the surface beneath is anodised without killing it?

To make it car relevant, they're Rays ZE40s someone thought silver was awesome (and bought by me cheaply due to the fact). I'd like to bring back the bronze underneath.

Comment

I'm no powder coating expert, but everything I've had powder coated has been sandblasted to bare metal first.

Comment

I've head people referring to paint on wheels as "powder coat" because they think it sounds better.
          gmx, do you know if the bronze is still there? 'Cos AFAIK nopistons is right, if it's powercoated properly there's no underlying coating left.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Best way to do oil/water lines on a turbo?

Understand speedflow fittings etc, but can i do them up without taking housing off?
            Should i go straight out then to a 90 degree, 45 or use banjo bolts, any pointers?
            CISCOKIDS
            The Gentlemen's Club
            Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
              I've head people referring to paint on wheels as "powder coat" because they think it sounds better.
              gmx, do you know if the bronze is still there? 'Cos AFAIK nopistons is right, if it's powercoated properly there's no underlying coating left.
              It's still there, maybe not the clearcoat/glossiness of a new wheel. Although I don't know what brand new Rays in bronze look like . Only ever seen that other bluish colour which is more popular/desirable recently. In TE37 they seem glossy. Another pair of ZE40 I've seen with them were pretty flat/matte in finish.
              I need the front two tyres replaced soon, will take a pic of some powedercoat I've been able to scrape / flake off revealing the bronze beneath. Sandblast could be too harsh?

Comment

Originally posted by gmx View Post
                It's still there, maybe not the clearcoat/glossiness of a new wheel. Although I don't know what brand new Rays in bronze look like . Only ever seen that other bluish colour which is more popular/desirable recently. In TE37 they seem glossy. Another pair of ZE40 I've seen with them were pretty flat/matte in finish.
                I need the front two tyres replaced soon, will take a pic of some powedercoat I've been able to scrape / flake off revealing the bronze beneath. Sandblast could be too harsh?
                I just Googled it, apparently it's actually possible to powdercoat over an existing coating, although it's not optimal. My guess is someone cheapskated.
                Powdercoat uses electrons somehow (magnets - how do they work?) to stick properly, I reckon you've got melted powder that's not quite properly stuck to the surface, which is why you can scrape/flake it off in places.
                Sandblasting is likely to go through an anodised finish, yeah, but with the heat of the powdercoat I wonder how rooted it might be ... it might never be Good As New, even if you can get the powdercoat off.
                Anodised finishes look metallic rather than glossy don't they? A glossy finish is probably a clear-coat over the top? Maybe an optional finish?
                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Really thin coat of paint stripper, and don't leave it on too long.
                  Or a heat gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
                    Understand speedflow fittings etc, but can i do them up without taking housing off?
                    Should i go straight out then to a 90 degree, 45 or use banjo bolts, any pointers?
                    This very much depends on the turbo. Some have miles of room to access the fittings, others are a tight squeeze. For the latter banjo bolts are your best bet.
                    Norbie!

Comment

A heat gun will make it go soft.
                      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                        A heat gun will make it go soft.
                        The coat or the wheel?

The finish on the spoke, inner barrel is very different to the outer topmost lip on the face of wheel. Some pics with just use of "desolv-it" and a plastic scraper to see what's underneath:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3fwa0oZBYLrrlm_fGlFeKuuvMV-MSYO6P6mhD9bbfOCq-2O5pFBTkPX1Hy4EWEP19KYk8eIzpzmldShRcw0Leg_duuflZKglgEQKSPTc85c4kdi8-ho3w3CTxW0tUmrlZgAMM1od495EGQX0jMrOu_xvA=w690-h920-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	7184014Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3eJA5ow_xUp84rEoxeA_H6ZG7C6kETorhvCe46Qmmbcp000ivhn8-JJPiHuaQn4xMUpYMCekmhc2Ydj_A1AL5bpadyzjbEDIPl7-6YiuZT9qF07gXfihOWYSFGc1uKz-RaYI51OCpkAavpX5S_LIWCzPg=w1227-h920-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	7184015

Also assumed I'd be good with paint stripper then read it could smudge the bronze (wot). I can't find it around the house otherwise I'd have tested it on a section by now.

Comment

I don't think that's powdercoat if it's coming off that easily. Have you tried a pressure washer?
                          Originally posted by Marlin
                          Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

^ Agree with the pressure-washer suggestion ... but isn't powder-coat supposed to go onto bare metal so all the electrons can hug each other - and would an anodised finish cock-block their hugging so you're just melting a fine layer of plasticised ceramic or some-such onto the wheel?
                            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 07-10-20, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I figured cock-block.
                              Whatever it is, doesn't look too stubborn. Primary interest is preserving the finish beneath. And it looks like these wheels actually have a weird texture to them. That roughness on the spoke in the pic above is "normal" Happy days.
                              I've washed these wheels before with a pressure washer and haven't had success. Might've needed an entry point in order to chip away at.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                                ^ Agree with the pressure-washer suggestion ... but isn't powder-coat supposed to go onto bare metal so all the electrons can hug each other - and would an anodised finish cock-block their hugging so you're just melting a fine layer of plasticised ceramic or some-such onto the wheel?
                                Powder coating requires are conductive surface,can even powder coat wood !!

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Working...
                                X