Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the IRS cradle on the BF 'coon, and the diff housing itself on the EL 'coon.

as covered, those components designed to take all the loads of supporting the car in dynamic situations not only the static situation of it sitting on stands.

as long as you pick something solid, and not a sway bar mount, alloy diff hat etc. no qualms.

for solid axles, the axle tubes are pretty damn thick, much more than I even thought they'd be.
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
      Stupid laptop shut down, but what 36 said! It's the stock steel 10 bolt chev housing for the record, it does have an aluminium braced diff cover (I haven't jacked it up since that went on but would try and avoid putting weight on that)
      Mustang owners manual (vehicles with 8.8 diff) said to not jack up vehicle under the diff as concern for deformation.

Yeah yeah you not got a mustang but............

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

RE the mustang with the 8.8, It might have something to do with the bushes? front pair of bushes mount vertically, so putting that much weight on the diff might start to tear them.
        Last edited by Madhatr; 10-10-20, 09:11 PM.
        Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
        This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
          This one seems to divide opinions - jacking the rear of a car up under the diff - yay or nay? I've done it plenty with a block of wood on the jack/under the diff to lift it and stands under the axle tubes either side. Recently read some varied opinions about it putting too much strain on mounting points, potential to bend shit (axle tubes) etc. I've never really given it a second thought?
          I've done it on every toyota and mazda mx-5 I've had.

No issue. mx5s have shit pinch welds and are filmsy af. I believe part of the housing is at the rear is alloy but i don't jack from that.

toyota is no issue either for old school stuff as long as it's not a bagged crown, century, soarer otherwise it flips out.

jacking from diff is suggested point for old school delicas, hiaces and shit iirc too

Comment

why do gearboxes have counterweights on the selector arms? (a weighted extension hanging off the end of the actuation lever that the shift cables connect to)

is it just a haptic / feedback thing? what happens if i cut it off?
            Last edited by doctor ed; 13-10-20, 05:29 AM.
            Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
            "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Probably to stop the gearstick from vibrating too much.

Comment

Have a front shock absorber question, look like there original bf xr6 mk2. when i removed springs the shock wanted to retract all the way to the bottom. To refit the spring had to hold shock extended using a hose clamp.
                ive had shocks retract slowly before but not like this, question is are they stuffed or is this some weird ford set up?

Comment

bin
                  Originally posted by 50RTD
                  Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
                  Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
                  Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

Comment

Anyone have a part number for a generic LS1 spark plug lead of reasonable length? Wanting one for testing purposes and dont want to have to buy a whole set if i can just get a $9 one from Supercheap.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by wayno1600 View Post
                      Have a front shock absorber question, look like there original bf xr6 mk2. when i removed springs the shock wanted to retract all the way to the bottom. To refit the spring had to hold shock extended using a hose clamp.
                      ive had shocks retract slowly before but not like this, question is are they stuffed or is this some weird ford set up?
                      Filled with nitrogen so always under pressure. If they drop at all (even slowly) by themselves they are fucked.
                      Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                      This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                        Anyone have a part number for a generic LS1 spark plug lead of reasonable length? Wanting one for testing purposes and dont want to have to buy a whole set if i can just get a $9 one from Supercheap.
                        My regular suppliers list complete sets only, not individual leads.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

My regular suppliers list complete sets only, not individual leads.
                          Yeah. That’s what I’m finding too. Such a pain.
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Likes Dirt View Post

I don't think there is any dramas matching rim width with tyre width. Where you could come unstuck is a tyre could be too wide to fit between the forks and/or swing arm. Only way to be sure is borrow and test one (fitted to a rim). Remember to put air in it because they will expand a bit.
                            Well ended up buying 100/80 for the rear and 90/80 for the front.

Dayum they look wide compared to 80/90 F&R OEM, allegedly they fit but I have my doubts.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

I have a set of OEM gauges off a Pajero (Oil Pressure, Volts, Incline). The gauges appear to be decent quality (Nippon Seiki/DEFI) but I want to fuck the incline off for a temp gauge. Rather than installing some shitty eBay/SAAS/chinesium gauge, could I just get another oil pressure/volts gauge, change the face and whack that in. Aren't they effectively measuring resistance? It's just a matter of changing the face to match (and getting an OEM sender unit), right?

(gauge pod is going to be used on non off-road 2wd vehicle. Just want to monitor volts, oil pressure and trans temp without looking like I crashed through autobarn shopfront, bling bling)

Comment

Originally posted by Swang View Post
                                I have a set of OEM gauges off a Pajero (Oil Pressure, Volts, Incline). The gauges appear to be decent quality (Nippon Seiki/DEFI) but I want to fuck the incline off for a temp gauge. Rather than installing some shitty eBay/SAAS/chinesium gauge, could I just get another oil pressure/volts gauge, change the face and whack that in. Aren't they effectively measuring resistance? It's just a matter of changing the face to match (and getting an OEM sender unit), right?

(gauge pod is going to be used on non off-road 2wd vehicle. Just want to monitor volts, oil pressure and trans temp without looking like I crashed through autobarn shopfront, bling bling)
                                just buy a VDO vision black gauge otherwise, they're not expensive

Comment

Working...
                                X