Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Norbie View Post
    I thought the kind-of-purpley tint was just the cheap shit that degraded after a year or two in the sun?
    AFAIK you're 100% correct in terms of stuff since the belt-onion stopped being in fashion ... there was an option for purple-tinged tint in the 80's, I do recall being able to buy it, dunno if the intention was to match already-faded tint or some people thought purple was cool.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

    Comment


      Surface rust on inner panels that I'd like to treat/cover with some sort of converter primer.....the trick being they are the section where the rear quarter curves up to meet the trunk (it's my Nova so it's a trunk not a boot) and I don't want to risk getting sprat shit everywhere.......what is the hotness to use?

      It's not super rusty just speckly surface rust but I want it sorted, could possibly use spray for the fiddly bits that go back in towards the rear wheel arches/tub area as no risk of over spray there.

      Brush on rust converter and a spray bottle for the tricky areas then prime it, rust convert/prime in one (spray generally) or???
      Hide yo' wife!!!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
        AFAIK you're 100% correct in terms of stuff since the belt-onion stopped being in fashion ... there was an option for purple-tinged tint in the 80's, I do recall being able to buy it, dunno if the intention was to match already-faded tint or some people thought purple was cool.
        yeah yeah, that's the shit i'm after. the shit you go to for a period correct thing.


        EDIT: For context I even have a pull out stereo (remember those)

        Comment


          In the future I am considering getting a vn - vs commodore as a project, a lot of them have lpg which was the norm back in the day.

          Can I remove all the lpg stuff and end up with the factory look again?

          Does the lpg stuff do irreversible damage that can't be fixed easily?

          Thanks

          Comment


            As long as they didn't put gas filler in rear quarter usually OK apart from a few extra holes.

            I'd get in quick, prices are rising for vs, vn already gone up with stocker v6 around $5-7k. Nuts. Any v8 will be $10k min

            Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

            Originally posted by 50RTD
            Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

            Comment


              Originally posted by piss98 View Post
              Surface rust on inner panels that I'd like to treat/cover with some sort of converter primer.....the trick being they are the section where the rear quarter curves up to meet the trunk (it's my Nova so it's a trunk not a boot) and I don't want to risk getting sprat shit everywhere.......what is the hotness to use?

              It's not super rusty just speckly surface rust but I want it sorted, could possibly use spray for the fiddly bits that go back in towards the rear wheel arches/tub area as no risk of over spray there.

              Brush on rust converter and a spray bottle for the tricky areas then prime it, rust convert/prime in one (spray generally) or???
              Repco have a brush on rust converter/sealer in one.

              I've got a bottle of that to use on some tricky areas, it should work fine, the formula isn't rocket surgery.

              I'll have to tape and spray for the paint finish though as mine is external, if it was internal you could use some form of tar paint stuff? You could use a brush to put paint on but it'll look proper shit so you really need to spray regardless.

              Comment


                In South Australia how do you find out if a car has been engineered or not? My 60 series is registered as a v8 with the correct engine number but I was not supplied a certificate of exemption when I acquired it.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Dogsballs View Post
                  As long as they didn't put gas filler in rear quarter usually OK apart from a few extra holes.

                  I'd get in quick, prices are rising for vs, vn already gone up with stocker v6 around $5-7k. Nuts. Any v8 will be $10k min

                  Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
                  Yeah wouldn't bother buying factory v8, too much $$$

                  I know converting to v8 is easy but is getting it through rego much of a head fuck?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Swang View Post
                    Anyone a tinter or know about tint. After an older style tint (kind of purpley) from late 80s and early 90s. Need some for a project.
                    Dunno about actual purple tint, but I've got a roll of the cheap stuff that will probably turn purple in a couple of hours once you've installed it. ALLBIDS.com.au has it all the time, and it's really bloody cheap there so that should say something about the "quality".

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by 080GMH View Post

                      Yeah wouldn't bother buying factory v8, too much $$$

                      I know converting to v8 is easy but is getting it through rego much of a head fuck?
                      Depends, if you wanted a v8 car, I'd get a v8. Long term you're on a better thing. All the earlier vb-vh converted 6 cars don't hold value as factory car.

                      Swap is easy, finding everything together for swap be a little trickier. Lots of engines/gearboxes for sale, finding a donor statesman or something without a million km's is a pain. Holden v8 rebuild won't get much change from $13-15k.

                      , most states it's just check new engine number and go

                      Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

                      Originally posted by 50RTD
                      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

                      Comment


                        can you buy the orange seal from a Deutsch connector separately anywhere? or do you have to buy the whole connector?

                        fuel sender connector had some fuel on it, and now the seal's gone all soft/gooey

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Dogsballs View Post
                          Depends, if you wanted a v8 car, I'd get a v8. Long term you're on a better thing. All the earlier vb-vh converted 6 cars don't hold value as factory car.

                          Swap is easy, finding everything together for swap be a little trickier. Lots of engines/gearboxes for sale, finding a donor statesman or something without a million km's is a pain. Holden v8 rebuild won't get much change from $13-15k.

                          , most states it's just check new engine number and go

                          Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
                          I don't really care about resale too much so I think v6 converted to v8 would be the go.

                          Also if I bought a v8 and then modified it there probably wouldn't be much left that was factory by the time you did brake upgrades, suspension etc.

                          I would never throw 13k into a Holden v8, plan would be to turbo it down the track but nothing too crazy.

                          I've already got a complete vn-vs top end, heads with roller rockers, complete injection manifold and statesman engine loom which I think came from a VS. So if I got hold of a bottom end I could probably put something together cheaply.

                          Even statesman aren't really cheap anymore, seen a vq v8 last year that could have been driven back on a permet sell for $1500.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                            can you buy the orange seal from a Deutsch connector separately anywhere? or do you have to buy the whole connector?

                            fuel sender connector had some fuel on it, and now the seal's gone all soft/gooey
                            only in bulk.

                            places like RS, element14 etc.
                            GT-P
                            Bandsenkowagon

                            Comment


                              What is a decent generic poly urethane mount? Just need a couple to make some diff braces. So I guess something which fits inside a bit of 40mm or 50mm steel tube???
                              Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                                can you buy the orange seal from a Deutsch connector separately anywhere? or do you have to buy the whole connector?

                                fuel sender connector had some fuel on it, and now the seal's gone all soft/gooey
                                Iirc the whole connector is cheap enough from Jaycar it isn't eyewatering to buy the whole thing to raid.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X