Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Do I need to paint over rust convertor are can I leave it?

    Google giving conflicting advice.

    Comment


      Originally posted by gmr View Post
      Do I need to paint over rust convertor are can I leave it?

      Google giving conflicting advice.
      I always paint over it, but thats typically because I want it to look tidier, but I think that painting over it would surely protect it from future degradation?

      Comment


        whats the current hotness in sites/companies to look for cars to import from japan?

        Comment


          Originally posted by gmr View Post
          Do I need to paint over rust convertor are can I leave it?

          Google giving conflicting advice.
          Paint over it, its only passivated not protected.
          Chris
          ------
          The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

          Comment


            Originally posted by Euronymous View Post
            whats the current hotness in sites/companies to look for cars to import from japan?
            I used J-Spec about 3 years ago and they were great. I'll definitely use them again. The only part of the process which sucked balls was the poor workmanship of the local SA workshop which the compliance was outsourced to.

            Comment


              Originally posted by takai View Post

              Paint over it, its only passivated not protected.
              Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

              I always paint over it, but thats typically because I want it to look tidier, but I think that painting over it would surely protect it from future degradation?
              Thanks gents

              Comment


                Tried to start Volvo yesterday - battery is on trickle-charger thingy as per usual, and it thinks the battery is OK - the attempt to start made a bit of a pissweak whirring sound like a fuel-pump not quite bothering, and then nothing.
                What's most likely, munted engagement solenoid in starter itself?
                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                Comment


                  Measure voltage and watch it whilst trying to start first. Should tell you how good or bad the battery is (charged).

                  Remove your charger or power cycle it if it's something like a Ctek to let it go through the multi stage process again.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                    Tried to start Volvo yesterday - battery is on trickle-charger thingy as per usual, and it thinks the battery is OK - the attempt to start made a bit of a pissweak whirring sound like a fuel-pump not quite bothering, and then nothing.
                    What's most likely, munted engagement solenoid in starter itself?
                    I always experienced the starter solenoid giving a hearty 'click' followed by nothing when it was on the way out.

                    How old is the battery, and do you have a multimeter you can put on it while cranking to see what's happening voltage drop wise?


                    You may find the trickle-charger thingy determining the battery's health is as accurate as those 'magic eye' indicators on the battery itself. Which is to say, potentially: completely inaccurate.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                      Tried to start Volvo yesterday - battery is on trickle-charger thingy as per usual, and it thinks the battery is OK - the attempt to start made a bit of a pissweak whirring sound like a fuel-pump not quite bothering, and then nothing.
                      What's most likely, munted engagement solenoid in starter itself?
                      Hit it with a big lump of timber. Maybe it's stuck and will trigger with it...

                      Does it have a relay somewhere off the ignition to power the solenoid? It is an oddball Volvo after all...
                      Originally posted by piss98
                      fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

                      Comment


                        I'm an incompetent & impatient noob, it's more oddball than your average Volvo.
                        I doubt I changed any of the starter circuitry (although maybe I did something stupid & knocked a wire off when removing the IAC yesterday).
                        I was carrying a 2x4 for 9 months or so in a stock one, for getting the fuel pressure-pump going, maybe the same tool needs applying to the starter. I've not driven it for quite a while because the idle thing was annoying me, and then we had a chance of rain daily for 3 weeks on top of that ... it could've been 2 months even since it's been started, I guess that could affect solenoid stickiness?
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                        Comment


                          Or the battery is fucked. Very easily measured with a multimeter while cranking.

                          (Assuming you have a helper to try and start the thing while you hold the multimeter probes )

                          Comment


                            ^ No I don't, will have to use a pair of jumper leads for that.
                            A stuck solenoid will still pull current won't it? Any risk of burning something out, with that current not moving anything?
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                              ^ No I don't, will have to use a pair of jumper leads for that.
                              A stuck solenoid will still pull current won't it? Any risk of burning something out, with that current not moving anything?
                              Don't hold it on start for long and don't leave ignition on for extended periods and it will be fine even on an old vehicle with a single coil, points etc.

                              If the voltage drops below 9 or 10 (ish) when attempting to crank, look at battery. If you cm have jumper cables you could try jumping off another vehicle. If voltage doesn't drop then I'd look at starter solenoid.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by jp View Post

                                I used J-Spec about 3 years ago and they were great. I'll definitely use them again. The only part of the process which sucked balls was the poor workmanship of the local SA workshop which the compliance was outsourced to.
                                awesome, cheers mate

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X