Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big commitment to the joke...

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
      It was a joke

WK Statesman. I ended up dropping into Supershit and paid the $14 to have it done.

'101 Front driver's side airbag resistance too high'.

I think it needs a tech2 type deal to actually reset the code and reenable SRS functions so will just pay someone to fix it.
      You need to replace the clock spring, tech 2 isn't needed.

Comment

Anyone used Goleby's coils? I need to replace the coils on my Supra but new Toyota ones are crazy money and not sure i want to go converting for R35 coils on a car that will only have basic mods.

Comment

I put some on a fairly mild Supra I did; no complaints so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post

You need to replace the clock spring, tech 2 isn't needed.
            Hmm interesting, I thought once an SRS related fault triggered it had to be manually cleared/reset?

Comment

I have a spare $10 obd2 dongle, it clears codes on some cars

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Attached Files
              Originally posted by 50RTD
              Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquash View Post
                Anyone used Goleby's coils? I need to replace the coils on my Supra but new Toyota ones are crazy money and not sure i want to go converting for R35 coils on a car that will only have basic mods.
                Is it just coils or a kit you're after?

Comment

Hmm interesting, I thought once an SRS related fault triggered it had to be manually cleared/reset?
                  Any scan tool will likely clear it, but you gotta fix the problem first.

Comment

I'm needing to wrap some headers for thermal management - anyone used the generic kits of ebay? Are they just OK, or are they a fire hazard and should be avoided.
                    Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Originally posted by break View Post
                      I'm needing to wrap some headers for thermal management - anyone used the generic kits of ebay? Are they just OK, or are they a fire hazard and should be avoided.
                      Have done, haven't died yet. Dunno how well it works in comparison to the expensive stuff. Have read that they aren't great for long term life of the headers - can trap moisture is the theory. Ceramic coating is a better albeit more expensive solution imo.

Comment

Originally posted by break View Post
                        Hey mate, I have two rolls of this stuff minus a metre or so... (so about 29 metres of wrap).

https://www.koolwrap.com.au/product/...-50mm-x-1-5mm/

No fire hazard I'm aware of, many/most performance turbo cars are running something like this.

I ended up changing my mind as getting the headers off and back on the car was going to be a giant PITA, and making heat shields with DCI's 'SheetHot' stuff ended up being easier for my application.

All yours if you want them, they're just taking up space in the shed here. I work in the city a few days per week, or can throw in a mail satchel. I think most of the stainless ties are there too, but if not they can be bought surprisingly cheaply at Bunnings.

Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt you're happy to throw away afterwards. Fucking itchy shit!
                        Last edited by andy_wk; 23-11-20, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I think the thought these days is as above on wraps, they work but retain moisture and will degrade the pipes quicker, less bad on straight pipes but not so great on headers with lots of joins/welds etc. Have been hearing more lately people saying ceramic coating is better but the best solution is a decent heat shield as it will let the pipes breath and block the heat. Best is a combo of ceramic and heat shielding.

I've been googling this too much and reading too many internet opinions as I want to do something with my fender exit headers to control the heat without fucking up the excellent and labour intensive headers Al built me!
                          Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                            I think the thought these days is as above on wraps, they work but retain moisture and will degrade the pipes quicker, less bad on straight pipes but not so great on headers with lots of joins/welds etc. Have been hearing more lately people saying ceramic coating is better but the best solution is a decent heat shield as it will let the pipes breath and block the heat. Best is a combo of ceramic and heat shielding.

I've been googling this too much and reading too many internet opinions as I want to do something with my fender exit headers to control the heat without fucking up the excellent and labour intensive headers Al built me!
                            Correct from what I’ve seen
                            on my rotary I was able to retain the stock heat shields and it was an extra $50 to have them all ceramic coated too, which doesn’t do a great deal, but since I had the full exhaust (the entire length) in for coating.. saves me having to paint it or anything.
                            made a good difference on the heat out of the transmission tunnel!
                            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

anyone have a good "idiots guide to fixing missing clear coat" link i can read?

Comment

<snip>
                                Thanks Andy - have sent you a PM to work out details

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Working...
                                X