Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the water pump pulley is tight to get off with the chassis rail. Or maybe that's the 4afe.

Comment

Its all the A series engines in FWD. From memory the later chassis had slightly more room, but not much.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

QQ - AU Falcon - heating/aircon started smoking into the cabin? Not my car, but gut says something on the heating element that's going to catch fire?
        When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

While we're on A-series engines; are the starter motors for 4AGE/4AFE/7AFE and so forth largely interchangeable?

Need to replace the one on the AW11, and the collective knowledge of the internet seems to be yes/no/maybe.

Comment

Leaves caught against the fan resistor in the heater box.
            Pull the glove box out, where you should see the resistor at the bottom of the heater box. Remove it and tr and vacuum the leaves out.
            Assuming the smoke smelled like leaves...

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
              Leaves caught against the fan resistor in the heater box.
              Pull the glove box out, where you should see the resistor at the bottom of the heater box. Remove it and tr and vacuum the leaves out.
              Assuming the smoke smelled like leaves...
              ..or rat/mouse/whatever

Still blows me away modern cars have a hot wire resistor in the air stream
              "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

Thanks you, that makes sense. Someone is going to have fun pulling that apart!
                When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                  While we're on A-series engines; are the starter motors for 4AGE/4AFE/7AFE and so forth largely interchangeable?

Need to replace the one on the AW11, and the collective knowledge of the internet seems to be yes/no/maybe.
                  On FWD engines, yes. The later ones are better for torque though. Earlier ones are interchangeable to later cars but some of them have fouling issues with various exhaust manifolds.

RWD starters foul most FWD exhaust manifolds.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Thanks. From what I can work out will be the FWD version.

There appear to be two different spots they mount on the bellhousing, but apparently it doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                      Thanks. From what I can work out will be the FWD version.

There appear to be two different spots they mount on the bellhousing, but apparently it doesn't make any difference.
                      Yeah, same bolt spacing regardless. Does make it easier if it fouls on certain headers though.
                      Chris
                      ------

Comment

Anyone know if rollover protection (ladder rack directly behind the cab) is a legal requirement for a ute?

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
                          Anyone know if rollover protection (ladder rack directly behind the cab) is a legal requirement for a ute?
                          For general use, no. For mine sites and some industrial sites, yes. A ladder rack is not an approved ROPS.

Comment

Ok thanks, I was thinking that it could be an ADR requirement but if it's not even better.

Comment

That frame behind the rear window on utes is simply to reduce the chance of somthing going through the rear window, most certainly NOT roll over protection.

Comment

The one I'm talking about is more of a ladder rack usually used in conjunction with a rear one as well. I see the front one fitted pretty much as standard fitment on most trays, the rear is usually an option.

Comment

Working...
                                X