Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Tripper View Post
    any good led reverse bulbs ?

    sure i could buy a small led bar, but its all on road use
    I've tried LED bulbs in my Mitsubishi Challenger, waste of time imho. They were brighter and produced white light but actually using them they were no better. I'm now running a pair of Jaycar LED flood lights under the back, they're actually up behind the rear bumper so almost invisible from behind when off and don't blind people when on.
    On the 121 it stil has the old incan bulbs and they're better than the LEDs were on the Challenger, it's more about the actual lens and reflector than the bulb

    Comment


      I'm looking at buying a 1995 4runner with a 3L V6, 3VZ-E. Does anyone know anything about these engines? Anything I need to look out for? Do they like a bit of boost?
      Norbie!

      Comment


        Bit painful to get parts for these days, from memory they have an odd water pump or fan setup that is no longer available.

        Comment


          IIRC people were frothing over these things 10 years ago.
          .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

          Dr Hoon
          .

          DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

          Comment


            Where are people buying import engines from these days? Is that even a thing any more? I remember 10+ years ago there were lots of places around Brisbane and the Gold Coast with racks of JZs and RBs and half cuts in the yard, but searching around now those places seem to have disappeared.

            I just wanna buy a damn 1UZ for my shitbox, I even got desperate and checked gumtree and ebay, but there's fuck all there. Best option so far is a 3UZ for $2500 but it's interstate.
            Norbie!

            Comment


              I have access to a 1UZ with gearbox, modified sump and crossmember to suite a 4wd Hilux, can look in to it a bit further if you like? In Sydney though.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
                I have access to a 1UZ with gearbox, modified sump and crossmember to suite a 4wd Hilux, can look in to it a bit further if you like? In Sydney though.
                Oooh yes please, will PM.
                Norbie!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Tripper View Post
                  any good led reverse bulbs ?

                  sure i could buy a small led bar, but its all on road use
                  Best results I have had is retrofitting a halogen down light into the reverse light.
                  Same wattage, but decent reflector and way more light.
                  Does require some butchery and won't fit all housings.

                  Comment


                    Re: getting BMW bits. Thanks for the help guys. Went to the dealer and got the part numbers. Dealer rep and the parts guy said that prices were unreasonable and said that I'd be better getting them online or from wreckers. If I got all of the bits via the dealer that'd be about $3k so that's not going to happen.

                    One interesting thing that came up was that the dealer parts system doesn't list all the little trim items for part numbers. If for example it's a little trim bit for an arm rest then the BM parts directory only lists a part number for the entire armrest (which leads to bullshit, extravagant fuck off prices). If I wanted the little rubberised cover for the idrive controller and I was going through the dealer then I'd have to buy the complete drive controller mechanism.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                      Re: getting BMW bits. Thanks for the help guys. Went to the dealer and got the part numbers. Dealer rep and the parts guy said that prices were unreasonable and said that I'd be better getting them online or from wreckers. If I got all of the bits via the dealer that'd be about $3k so that's not going to happen.

                      One interesting thing that came up was that the dealer parts system doesn't list all the little trim items for part numbers. If for example it's a little trim bit for an arm rest then the BM parts directory only lists a part number for the entire armrest (which leads to bullshit, extravagant fuck off prices). If I wanted the little rubberised cover for the idrive controller and I was going through the dealer then I'd have to buy the complete drive controller mechanism.
                      That's always the way though. Lots of things can be rebuilt with parts. e.g. buy a new VANOS for $3-4k or more or buy a couple of hundred bucks worth of seals, o rings etc and it can be rebuilt DIY.

                      FCPeuro tend to be giving generally the best prices online for genuine or "OE" parts I'm finding lately. Shipping can be exy it if it gets large or heavy but still cheaper than local. Also worth a look at Schmiedmann (haven't ordered from them but found a VANOS accumulator about half of FCPeuro's price).

                      Get to know realoem, so much easier than fucking around without trying to explain what you want to spares guys. Even if you buy from them, just give them the part number you want then.

                      Comment


                        Ok, talk to me about roof top pods/boxes.

                        After our last little road trip its becoming clear that in the next year or two we are going to need to shift the eldest to the 3rd row for longer trips. Shuffling him back there cuts down on our boot space, and given that with COVID several of the holiday houses we often go to arent supplying linen and blankets we end up with a whole bunch of bulky gear in the boot. Thinking that the way out of this will likely be a roof pod, and then building a rack for it over the camper trailer for the same purpose there.

                        Been looking at the range, and it seems they come in two types, one which is fairly long and low and the others which are shorter on the roof but take up more height. The boxier ones are generally cheaper, with the longer ones being about double.

                        From a quick googles it looks like the Yakima EasyTrip 470L (https://www.roofrackstore.com.au/yak...-p-586129.html) or the RhinoRack Masterfit 410L (https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/prod...black-_rmft410) are about what we are looking at.

                        Any opinions there?
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by takai View Post
                          Ok, talk to me about roof top pods/boxes.

                          After our last little road trip its becoming clear that in the next year or two we are going to need to shift the eldest to the 3rd row for longer trips. Shuffling him back there cuts down on our boot space, and given that with COVID several of the holiday houses we often go to arent supplying linen and blankets we end up with a whole bunch of bulky gear in the boot. Thinking that the way out of this will likely be a roof pod, and then building a rack for it over the camper trailer for the same purpose there.

                          Been looking at the range, and it seems they come in two types, one which is fairly long and low and the others which are shorter on the roof but take up more height. The boxier ones are generally cheaper, with the longer ones being about double.

                          From a quick googles it looks like the Yakima EasyTrip 470L (https://www.roofrackstore.com.au/yak...-p-586129.html) or the RhinoRack Masterfit 410L (https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/prod...black-_rmft410) are about what we are looking at.

                          Any opinions there?
                          Used to sell the Rhino ones and they're reasonably sturdy. Haven't dealt with Yakima stuff so I can't comment there. Just make sure you check the width of your crossbars to make sure they're not too wide for the clamps. But you can have them on and off in less than 5 mins

                          Just keep in mind you can't overfill them at all, because the lid latches won't shut. They're good for loading soft bags in that can squash down, or putting sandy/dirty clothes in because you just take it off and hose it out.

                          Main thing with all roof racks though is watch the weight. The Rhino pod weighs 18kg, so take that out of your load limit

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by 92gibbo View Post

                            Used to sell the Rhino ones and they're reasonably sturdy. Haven't dealt with Yakima stuff so I can't comment there. Just make sure you check the width of your crossbars to make sure they're not too wide for the clamps. But you can have them on and off in less than 5 mins

                            Just keep in mind you can't overfill them at all, because the lid latches won't shut. They're good for loading soft bags in that can squash down, or putting sandy/dirty clothes in because you just take it off and hose it out.

                            Main thing with all roof racks though is watch the weight. The Rhino pod weighs 18kg, so take that out of your load limit
                            Yeah, sounds pretty similar to the others. The Kluger has fairly standard cross bars, so shouldnt be an issue for the clamps, and yeah, likely to just load them up with the big bulky light stuff, like pillows, sleeping bags etc.
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by takai View Post

                              Yeah, sounds pretty similar to the others. The Kluger has fairly standard cross bars, so shouldnt be an issue for the clamps, and yeah, likely to just load them up with the big bulky light stuff, like pillows, sleeping bags etc.
                              Yep that's what they're good for.

                              I ended up buying a roof basket and bag for road trips with little kids, but that's more for putting the double stroller in. It's useful, but it's extremely loud if its empty and a pain to take it on and off compared to a pod.

                              Just don't drive into a carpark or garage with the pod on. I've seen the end results and it's not pretty

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by 92gibbo View Post

                                Yep that's what they're good for.

                                I ended up buying a roof basket and bag for road trips with little kids, but that's more for putting the double stroller in. It's useful, but it's extremely loud if its empty and a pain to take it on and off compared to a pod.

                                Just don't drive into a carpark or garage with the pod on. I've seen the end results and it's not pretty
                                Haha, thats pretty much the same for anything on the roof. Seen the results of enough bikes on roof in Maccas on the way home from the trails to know not to do that.

                                I was considering doing the basket and bag, which is certainly cheaper, but thinking that the annoyance of removal/replacement would get old faster.
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X