Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by takai View Post

Haha, thats pretty much the same for anything on the roof. Seen the results of enough bikes on roof in Maccas on the way home from the trails to know not to do that.

I was considering doing the basket and bag, which is certainly cheaper, but thinking that the annoyance of removal/replacement would get old faster.
    More often than not, it's the roof that ends up copping it, not the roof racks. Can't imagine they're easy to fix

Basket and bag is good, but not waterproof. We got ours for $50 off gumtree, so that was a win. But I always take the roof racks off with the basket in one piece. I don't normally drive with racks on at all

Comment

Originally posted by 92gibbo View Post

More often than not, it's the roof that ends up copping it, not the roof racks. Can't imagine they're easy to fix

Basket and bag is good, but not waterproof. We got ours for $50 off gumtree, so that was a win. But I always take the roof racks off with the basket in one piece. I don't normally drive with racks on at all
      Yeah, not so much with a carbon bike. They tend to give way before anything else.

We have the roof racks on all the time, so i think goign with the pod makes more sense for us. Except for the cost.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Yeah, not so much with a carbon bike. They tend to give way before anything else.

We have the roof racks on all the time, so i think goign with the pod makes more sense for us. Except for the cost.
        Yeah that's just an expensive way of making carbon shards

If you look at the price of hiring one, it only takes a few trips to spend the cost of buying a pod

Comment

Originally posted by 92gibbo View Post

Yeah that's just an expensive way of making carbon shards

If you look at the price of hiring one, it only takes a few trips to spend the cost of buying a pod
          More thinking about the bag vs pod costs, no way in hell are we going to hire one. Heck the ProRack ones are only $350 on the regular discounts from Repco/Supercheap etc.
          Chris
          ------
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

More thinking about the bag vs pod costs, no way in hell are we going to hire one. Heck the ProRack ones are only $350 on the regular discounts from Repco/Supercheap etc.
            When I was selling them 5 or so years ago, by the time you bought a basket and bag, you were not far off the cost of a pod. But that's all Rhino gear. A steel basket is pretty hard to screw up and I'm sure the Supercheap specials are basically the same thing

Comment

My 2002- when I turn the ignition the starter motor starts and won’t stop (like, I can turn key off and pull it out but starter motor keeps going until I disconnect battery).
              do I start pulling apart the ignition barrel, or the starter motor first?
              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                My 2002- when I turn the ignition the starter motor starts and won’t stop (like, I can turn key off and pull it out but starter motor keeps going until I disconnect battery).
                do I start pulling apart the ignition barrel, or the starter motor first?
                Yeah key switch. As an interim just disconnect the starter wire from the IGN switch and put a button on temporarily.
                ---
                Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

I'd agree with a poor contact/clicking being a worn key switch but sticking on I would think is more likely to point to solenoid issues?

Comment

Will me or my engine notice if I put 10w40 oil in instead of the factory suggested 10w30? Also seeing as
                    ​​is on sale is there anything wrong with magnatec? Fucking magnats, how do they work?

​​​​​​Might go crazy and put plugs in too.

Comment

Bmw ignition switches usually die and you can't crank it at all. Id be thinking more along the lines of solenoid issues too, plunger getting stuck, maybe bad return spring or coil, something like that. If you pull the ignition coil so it wont start, then crank it over and it keeps cranking, what happens if you tap the top of the solenoid with something metal/heavy? Be interested if it releases.
                      Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                      This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
                        Bmw ignition switches usually die and you can't crank it at all. Id be thinking more along the lines of solenoid issues too, plunger getting stuck, maybe bad return spring or coil, something like that. If you pull the ignition coil so it wont start, then crank it over and it keeps cranking, what happens if you tap the top of the solenoid with something metal/heavy? Be interested if it releases.
                        Will try! Cheers guys
                        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                          Will me or my engine notice if I put 10w40 oil in instead of the factory suggested 10w30? Also seeing as
                          ​​is on sale is there anything wrong with magnatec? Fucking magnats, how do they work?

​​​​​​Might go crazy and put plugs in too.
                          What engine? Unlikely to make any difference regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

What engine? Unlikely to make any difference regardless.
                            1zzfe, just bought 10w30 gulf western on kinda sale for 30 bucks, plenty of known Name 10w40 for 20 bucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                              1zzfe, just bought 10w30 gulf western on kinda sale for 30 bucks, plenty of known Name 10w40 for 20 bucks though.
                              It's not so much the weight as the type of oil. Does the 10W40 meet specs for your 1Z? If so knock yourself out

Me - For $10 difference, I'd just do what the manufacturer says

"Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

In a boring meeting thinking about how to clean up the ton of bolts from the Hilux that will be grease and mud encrusted. Normally i just dump them in a yoghurt container to soak with degreaser and shake it occasionally. But a mate of mine has just picked up a case tumbler for reloading his brass, and it got me thinking about trying to build some form of jiggler to attach to the yoghurt container to speed the process. Really anything so that it speeds up the process and im not standing there by hand cleaning stuff for hours.

Anyone built something for this?
                                Chris
                                ------

Comment

Working...
                                X