Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

take an old breadmaker ($0 on gumface), remove the baking element and fill it with degreaser.

Comment

Put them in an old paint tin and sweet talk the goober at bunnings to chuck them on the shaker for a couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
        I bought a little jaycar US cleaner yonks ago, can't even remember who I leant it to. I remember putting rusty bolts in it and it didn't do anything, should be good on oily/dirty bolts? worked great on injectors the few times I used it on them.
        Originally posted by takai View Post

That is the size of ultrasonic cleaner I already have, doesnt do much for actual grease. Does a good job on things like injectors though.
        What do you use in the cleaner for the injectors? Water/degreaser ?
        "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

water for jewellery and shit, petrol or gunwash (which I think is just white spirit/shellite) for stuff that is in contact with petrol. Maybe method on some stuff too

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Just used E85
            Chris
            ------
            The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

On the topic, what's the best general fluid for cleaning horrible greasy/dirty bits? Worth buying "Parts Washer" or will i make the same amount of mess and waste with old reliable ULP91?

Comment

Acetone or methanol and water will take pretty much anything.

Comment

Kero is probably better, not so toxic to your brain or as inflammable.

Comment

The LS1 Commodore is puking coolant randomly. Probably around once a week it'll drop half a litre from the overflow tank. Temp gauge shows normal. It generally runs at a little over 1/4 on the gauge. It seems to happen more after shorter trips but the first time was after sitting in traffic for a little. It's fine on longer trips. I'm assuming it's a thermostat playing up. I'll grab a new coolant reservoir cap too as a precaution. Any hints on this before I start randomly throwing parts at it? Most the cooling system is pretty new I think, but I haven't had a proper look.
                    Originally posted by doctorpat
                    It's not that every person with the coof spreads it to 8 people. It's that 50 people spread it to nobody, 40 spread it to their nopix and kids, 5 spread it to nopix, kids, neighbour, and mate that came over to watch the footy, and the last five went to a secret illegal rave, gave it to 17 people in the mosh pit, then went to an underground hairdresser, gave it to 22 people there, then went and drank a coffee on the beach while hugging and kissing another 52 people, and then needed to look at paint colours at bunnings, before going to work as a checkoutchick at Aldi.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
                      The LS1 Commodore is puking coolant randomly. Probably around once a week it'll drop half a litre from the overflow tank. Temp gauge shows normal. It generally runs at a little over 1/4 on the gauge. It seems to happen more after shorter trips but the first time was after sitting in traffic for a little. It's fine on longer trips. I'm assuming it's a thermostat playing up. I'll grab a new coolant reservoir cap too as a precaution. Any hints on this before I start randomly throwing parts at it? Most the cooling system is pretty new I think, but I haven't had a proper look.
                      Sounds like a cap problem to me.

Comment

How hard is it to change the plugs on the firewall side of the 3.5l V6 in a Kia Carnival?

Comment

Caps are cheap, so that's the easiest option to start with. Water pump looks fairly recent. I'll hose off the coolant marks and see how it goes. Click image for larger version

Name:	16258739513989193777230907762024.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	7269644
                          Originally posted by doctorpat
                          It's not that every person with the coof spreads it to 8 people. It's that 50 people spread it to nobody, 40 spread it to their nopix and kids, 5 spread it to nopix, kids, neighbour, and mate that came over to watch the footy, and the last five went to a secret illegal rave, gave it to 17 people in the mosh pit, then went to an underground hairdresser, gave it to 22 people there, then went and drank a coffee on the beach while hugging and kissing another 52 people, and then needed to look at paint colours at bunnings, before going to work as a checkoutchick at Aldi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                            Kero is probably better, not so toxic to your brain or as inflammable.
                            These answers are relevant to my immediate interest ... I think I have some kero, is it worth soaking in degreaser for a bit?
                            I assume wear gloves if holding/scrubbing stuff being sprayed with degreaser &.or kero, will those lightweight el-cheapo disposable black gloves cut it or will they dissolve?
                            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 10-07-21, 10:40 AM.
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Always used kero as a degreaser when "helping" the old man with car repairs in the backyard all those years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
                                Caps are cheap, so that's the easiest option to start with. Water pump looks fairly recent. I'll hose off the coolant marks and see how it goes. Click image for larger version

Name:	16258739513989193777230907762024.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	7269644
                                That looks familiar...
                                Radiator, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, all heater/reservoir connecting hoses, heater tap, reservoir and cap have all been replaced within the past 3 years. The only non-GMH genuine parts were the heater tap (Gates) and reservoir/cap (Dayco), so definitely try a new cap first - is that where it's been spraying out (looks like it but hard to tell from a photo)?

Comment

Working...
                                X