Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Ree

The best value-for-money option is to get an Apple CarPlay & Android Auto kit, it takes over the navigation menu in the touchscreen, you lose the factory nav, but you get the maps from your phone, as well as music, messaging, and all the other fun stuff that CarPlay or Android Auto gives you.

I suggest this for several reasons.

- The newest available maps are AUS22/NZ11, they are from 2016 (actually the map data is from 2015). There is nothing newer available.
    - Being an SG car, the maps are stored on a hard drive inside the head unit. The hard drive is encrypted. This is a different system to the Japanese cars that use a DVD, which would be more common in NZ.
    - You cannot simply install AUS/NZ maps over the top of SG maps. It won't let you.

Your options are swap in a complete 2nd hand head unit from an AUS/NZ car, or to swap the hard drive over.
    Either is a "plug & play" scenario, but swapping the HDD over has one additional caveat, the head units were produced with a mix of SATA and IDE drives, and there's no way to know which you have until you disassemble it...

And after all that effort & expense, you will still have maps that are at least 6 years out of date, possibly even older depending on the age of the donor car, & if the maps were ever updated.

CarPlay gives you so much more for your money.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3006.jpg Views:	8 Size:	976.4 KB ID:	7274740
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 25-07-21, 05:06 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Thank you very much for that info Jack Nicholson

Gutted to hear that the SG maps arent dvd loaded like the others...that has completely foiled my plan

I appreciate and agree with your logical suggestion to upgrade to a new head unit, but the car is owned by my Uncle, who doesnt own a smart phone, and wouldnt want to have to learn all the technology to get it to work.

On the bright side, at least we only have about 5 roads in total here in NZ so hopefully he wont get lost.

Thanks again

Comment

Ah well Mr Ree in that case, a head unit from an AUS/NZ car that has the local maps in it is the way to go.

Like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193254349958 I know for sure that was an AUS spec car (I do some work for those guys).
        People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
          Ah well Mr Ree in that case, a head unit from an AUS/NZ car that has the local maps in it is the way to go.

Like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193254349958 I know for sure that was an AUS spec car (I do some work for those guys).
          Thanks for that link...thats great, at least I can give him an option to consider.

Is it an easy enough process to load NZ maps onto the AU head unit?

Ive installed dozens of car stereos over the past 30 years, but have never worked on a modern Jag, so Im not sure if I want to risk attempting the job myself, for fear of cracking wood grain trims hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

Thanks for that link...thats great, at least I can give him an option to consider.

Is it an easy enough process to load NZ maps onto the AU head unit?

Ive installed dozens of car stereos over the past 30 years, but have never worked on a modern Jag, so Im not sure if I want to risk attempting the job myself, for fear of cracking wood grain trims hahaha
            The AUS & NZ maps are the same, you just go into the "state" selection and NZ is there, along with all the other Australian states....

So just swap one head unit for the other.

It's a fun job on an XF, would take me about 40mins, but I have done a few... I can get you the workshop manual pages if you need.

Comment

Hahahahaha the far Eastern State

That doesnt sound too bad in that case...I can take it slowly and spend an afternoon on it, if my Uncle decides to go this way.

The workshop manual will be a lifesaver, I expect. Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                Hahahahaha the far Eastern State
                Garmin GPS units have Aus/NZ as a single map with NZ as a state selection . You can download the map file and it has img file extension.
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post

Garmin GPS units have Aus/NZ as a single map with NZ as a state selection . You can download the map file and it has img file extension.
                  Wow, I finally have a good reason to post in the 8 ball thread

Comment

A mate of mine just picked up one of these for his old Alfa so he could keep the stock head unit, and has just put it in the choke knob hole.

https://nvx.com/nvx-xubt3-universal-...ller-knob.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 4.20.42 pm.png
Views:	248
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	7275129

Seems like a pretty sweet solution for an older car. Anyone used one?
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

How can I dispose of ~40 litres of stale petrol, during a lockdown? Is there some MacGyver way that I can mix it with gravox and sawdust to throw it in the bin?
                      Originally posted by Marlin
                      Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Mix with detergent and tip it down the dunny.

Far from ideal, but will work.
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
                          How can I dispose of ~40 litres of stale petrol, during a lockdown? Is there some MacGyver way that I can mix it with gravox and sawdust to throw it in the bin?
                          how stale tho, u dont have a daily shitter that'll take it?
                          www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                            how stale tho, u dont have a daily shitter that'll take it?
                            It's pretty bad. It looks like it has algae growing in it, and it killed the new fuel pump in the project car.
                            Originally posted by Marlin
                            Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

It's pretty bad. It looks like it has algae growing in it, and it killed the new fuel pump in the project car.
                              wow sounds fucked, have any neighbours that use their leaf blower way too much?
                              www.holditflat.com

Comment

How can I dispose of ~40 litres of stale petrol, during a lockdown?
                                Evaporation is your friend
                                "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Working...
                                X