Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Too late to spec a locking nut (k-nut type but more automotive) to be welded in?
    Way way too late, interesting idea though.

    I will search out such a nut that can be projection welded for future possible usage.

    The bolt used actually differs to the one pictured slightly in that the flange dia is larger...... we are having these made so why not a nut too !!

    Don't mention the adBlocker !!

    Comment


      Originally posted by 36 View Post
      Loctite or similar.

      Hot glue perhaps.
      Loktite is the only option that comes to mind.... Even that is a concern for the Ford engineers.

      hot glue won't fly at all.

      Don't mention the adBlocker !!

      Comment


        i was going to suggest some sort of tape over the head of the bolt that could be easily removed

        or just some teflon tape would hold it in place and not have any real effect when the bolt is tightened

        Comment


          Originally posted by Banzai View Post
          Short shank up at the head end of the bolt? Thread the bolt through whatever it is and when it is presented to the final assembly, just do it up. If the shank is the same diameter as the lowest part of the valley on the thread, it can be screwed in and out but won't fall out. I've had bolts like this on car parts before where typically the washer is captive but no reason it couldn't be a flange or plate.
          Closest example I can find on a quick image search.eg:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DIN6922-Hexagon-Flange-Bolt-with-Reduced-Shank.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	7295266
          Bolt is already spec'd and cannot be changed, have 150,000 bolts already in a container from China.

          Don't mention the adBlocker !!

          Comment


            Originally posted by GreatWallGT500 View Post
            i was going to suggest some sort of tape over the head of the bolt that could be easily removed

            or just some teflon tape would hold it in place and not have any real effect when the bolt is tightened
            Cannot be anything that requires human removal at the plant.

            Thread tape is interesting though, I will look into that, Thanks.

            Don't mention the adBlocker !!

            Comment


              Another idea I had on the drive home was dipping the bolt thread in Wax.... could still fit the bolt but I wonder if the wax on the thread will offer enough resistance to stop the bolt winding out.

              The delivery distance is under 70km... it only has to arrive still fitted to the product.

              Don't mention the adBlocker !!

              Comment


                i know you are in Thailand but

                https://www.bunnings.com.au/endurase...dseal_p4920453

                EnduraSeal Liquid Threadseal is a high strength anaerobic thread sealant that cures between engaged metallic threads to form an assembly that resists virtually all leakage, shock and vibration.
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

                Comment


                  Something like this https://www.permatex.com/products/th...ple/?locale=en

                  The 'seal' should be easily broken once they start screwing the bolt in.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by fondles View Post
                    Another idea I had on the drive home was dipping the bolt thread in Wax.... could still fit the bolt but I wonder if the wax on the thread will offer enough resistance to stop the bolt winding out.

                    The delivery distance is under 70km... it only has to arrive still fitted to the product.
                    Wax idea sounds good.
                    Have a look at this stuff
                    https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/tacky-wax
                    Jim.

                    VS ute appreciation society

                    (you know it makes sense..)

                    Comment


                      I had the impression the part your supplying was to be bolted into another piece already in place which is why I couldn't fathom loctite was even in the discussion. I'll leave now

                      Comment


                        Superglue, just a little dab at the interface on the outside once the bolt is in position. Easily broken when you put some torque on the bolt.
                        Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                        Originally posted by nutttr
                        People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                          Superglue, just a little dab at the interface on the outside once the bolt is in position. Easily broken when you put some torque on the bolt.
                          That was considered but it will go "white" on the black powder coat, other issue if it runs it will create a slight high spot on the mounting face and over time will wear away and resulting in the bolts losing torque.

                          Don't mention the adBlocker !!

                          Comment


                            Put a glob of mig weld on the tail of the bolt before fitting the bracket into the tube
                            Originally posted by Marlin
                            Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

                            Comment


                              Just slip an O ring over the bolt. Got the idea from Al on the Skid Factory. Compresses down to nothing.
                              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by awdmoke View Post
                                Just slip an O ring over the bolt. Got the idea from Al on the Skid Factory. Compresses down to nothing.
                                Not sure how that would stop the bolt from winding itself out during transit.

                                Don't mention the adBlocker !!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X