Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you could just go live your life
    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post

Lol. I did some more reading, I guess what I am complaining about is a spongy brake pedal which could be a range of things including worn caliper seals.

I also genuinely wondered if it was anything to do with the vacuum booster and being at idle…

EDIT: Could be master cylinder too.
      Originally posted by takai View Post

Nah, its because when you are braking you are experiencing pad knock off from the friction between pad and disc. When you finally stop the pads depress another bees dick or so and so you get more travel in the MC and therefore the booster.
      Popped up on youtube this morning

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
        Why is it so important to idle diesel engines for as long as possible?
        Like if you're going to a shop in your dual-cab, you have to let it clatter away out the front ... if you get back to your truck and need to make a 'phone call before leaving, why does the truck need to be switched on & idled while you make that call?
        Since when is that a thing, certainly not mentioned in my Ranga's owner manual.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

It's for the quick getaway to the job site after you've had your meth fueled rant at the person behind the counter as to why they don't have your chilled caffeine milk drink of choice at the assumed required temperature temperature and not enough sauce for your meaty pastry meal of choice.

Comment

Looknig for suggestions for a car for the mother in-law:
            • Up to $15k
            • Auto
            • Newer than 2015
            • Under 80km
            • 5 door hatch
            • Small-mid sized
            • Japanese/Korean brand(she's dealthy afraid of Euro repair bills),
            • She would like to 'sit higher' but I don't think any mini-SUV's
            Looking at the Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, and Hyundai Accent - but they're all so mind numbingly dull it's hard to tell them apart

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Yaris has a great seating position for old folks and is easy egress.
              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Kona has a higher seating position, and arnt too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by break View Post
                  Looknig for suggestions for a car for the mother in-law:
                  • Up to $15k
                  • Auto
                  • Newer than 2015
                  • Under 80km
                  • 5 door hatch
                  • Small-mid sized
                  • Japanese/Korean brand(she's dealthy afraid of Euro repair bills),
                  • She would like to 'sit higher' but I don't think any mini-SUV's
                  Looking at the Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, and Hyundai Accent - but they're all so mind numbingly dull it's hard to tell them apart

Nopics has a Jazz. Very dull but does the job. Very easy to drive and park.

Comment

my Mrs has a Mazda CX3 and bloody loves it

Comment

low profile trolley jacks for home use, whats the hotness ?
                      you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post
                        low profile trolley jacks for home use, whats the hotness ?
                        Dunno about hot but last year I thought hard about getting this (915mm long, 45kg, $600 delivered to SYD):

https://proworkshopgear.com.au/produ...-trolley-jack/

but got this (~70cm long, ~30kg, $200):

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/d...c-trolley-jack

The Daytona jack is too short to get under the front cross member so I have to lift and support a front wheel for clearance. Takes a few minutes longer but worth the $400 saving for me.

Comment

That proworkshopgear.com.au site has near identical hoists to Joel's garage gear, but they offer floor reinforcement plates which I was looking to design and have cut/milled from inch plate to be extra sturdy, if I can buy off the shelf that's heaps easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                            Kona has a higher seating position, and arnt too bad.
                            <$15k in current market might be a struggle, my mum was against them from the get-go ‘cos even at 74 she’s still worried about looking like a tool, but vision inside was really bad so I didn’t try to change her mind (when I say “really bad” that’s just small-car normal these days mind you, they’re all like sitting in a customised armoured A-Team vehicle staring out through the slit in the armour due to rollover stuff I guess).
                            All the little Mazdas we looked at had the same problem, including CX’s.
                            Yaris turned out best for us, getting into the seat is similar to the likes of Kona & you actually sit higher than CX3. Jazz you sit a little lower, so harder for oldies to get into but it feels more capable on the road (even though that’s probably just the way it feels ‘cos sitting up higher).
                            CX3 and 2 were surprisingly similar, the extra weight in the CX blunts the herbs the bigger engine should give (either that or the 2.0’s very detuned c/f a 3), I couldn’t see why anyone pays the extra $5k-$10k (even with the styling it’s hard to pick a difference - I’d have thought someone who wants an SUV without any more interior room would want others to be able to see it’s an SUV).

Came down to Jazz vs Yaris, Yaris vision was slightly better, Jazz is more roomy & slightly larger & has better touchy-feelies inside (feels like it’ll last longer). Should be able to get something around 5yrs old for the $15k mark. Yaris front seats are more comfy, but doesn’t really matter if only driving it for 15mins at a time.
                            I’d also consider a 2 … never drove that baby 1L Kei-looking Kia with the GT badges and the red highlights, but I thought they’d be kinda interesting too.
                            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 03-10-21, 11:37 AM.
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Yeah I thought konas would be around that price point by now, actually had a look and they are still mostly above $20k.

Comment

It’s just because they look like an SUV —> they can get away with higher new pricing —> current near-new used cars basically cost new-car prices.
                                So anything current-shape, price is dictated by new price, so you’re limited to something which was under $20k in the first place.
                                Those other tiddlers mentioned are either not the current model, or in case of Jazz has just been on the market forever (2014 release I think).
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X