Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
    Wouldn't disconnecting the line going to the stock BOV be a good start? Probably then just an open air filter away from needing a penis haircut.

Question that doesn't deserve its own thread, mostly because actually buying another car is a very hypothetical situation at this point:

What is the deal with NCOP/emissions etc. etc. on old engines that predate stringent emission rules etc.?

EG. if I had a BBC from the late 60's, could I swap to aftermarket heads, bore it out one or two standard oversizes, bump compression, put a stupid cam in it add injection and not have to worry about engineering/emissions testing as long as I leave the standard charcoal canister in place? I'm guessing if there was a considerable capacity change (ie. stroking a 454 to 496) then thats a different story, but otherwise?
    >20% power or capacity increase require LA3 cert. The general rule is that the vehicle has to maintain compliance with the ADR's it was built to comply with (if any).

Comment

I don't have a clothes hanger in my Hilux for my Hi-vis vest. Should I fit one or is the wrinkled look in this year?
      Originally posted by S
      I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Uncle, you can get high-vis vests from the Big & Tall shop made out of that stuff which doesn't need ironing.
        Save yourself a heap of ironing time each Sunday night, too.

Originally posted by Streety View Post
        Where does my key go?
        Under which circumstances is it disappearing?
        Are you sitting down when it disappears, then it appears again when you stand?
        Have you tried turning it off and on?
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Deceiver View Post
          How can I make nopics' car make pigeon noises with a stock BOV?

+

+

=

Originally posted by Dimi
          80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
          Originally posted by schnitzelburger
          My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbreak View Post
            Ok, uber noob question.
            Car Speaker is rated at 30W RMS (45W Peak). It will be crossed separately with a tweeter rated at 50W. Both 4Ohm (crossed in parallel). Will an amp with a 50W channel be ok to power both (so long as I don't ramp up the volume)?
            Ok, so a related question. From my understanding of the above scenario, each device will get half of the rated channel power (25W each) which is under driving the components somewhat. Is this going to be shit?

Would I be better off finding speakers that are rated more closer to the 25W power (assuming I don't want to replace the amp)?
            Originally posted by XXX19X
            Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Comment

If your speakers are rated at 30W, putting 25W through them is about the best power-matching you'll get.
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbreak View Post
                Ok, so a related question. From my understanding of the above scenario, each device will get half of the rated channel power (25W each) which is under driving the components somewhat. Is this going to be shit?

Would I be better off finding speakers that are rated more closer to the 25W power (assuming I don't want to replace the amp)?
                No. having them in parallel presents the amp with a 2Ohm load, means it can push twice the current, meaning power output is doubled. each speaker still gets 50W (ideal, not accounting losses, amp can run 2Ohm load etc. etc.).

Anyway, it's kind of a useless point.

overpowering speakers is LESS likely to cause damage than underpowering them.

as the speaker moves it pumps air through the voice coil, meaning it's cooling itself. Extra power isn't so bad. (not saying you can't overpower a speaker)
                Now if underpowered, and you're pushing it hard to get the volume you want, you risk clipping, when clipping the amp is essentially a DC power source and the speaker isn't moving = no air flow = no cooling = cooks the voice coil = dead speaker.
                GT-P
                Bandsenkowagon

Comment

fwiw,

I've got 145WRMS amp channels powering my tweeters rated at 50W, 145WRMS powering some midranges rated at 60W, and 445WRMS powering midbass rated at 70W. cranks hard and no damage.

when playing music, the actual power over any period of time is pretty low (average). so the speakers can handle extra power happily - and love it cause there's plenty of power to move the cones accurately.

DC voltage (clipping) is high average power, and what will cook them.
                  GT-P
                  Bandsenkowagon

Comment

So, having trouble with 8 down. 'Late wisdom utilised by rifleman? (9)'. Ideas?

Comment

data_mine, thanks for that info mate. Helpful.

Comment

What's important with amps & speakers is headroom. Headroom is where you have a big fuck off amp that's so powerful you never have to crank it past half way to get the volume you need. The less you crank it, the less distortion you get because amplifiers have an inherent distortion that increase with gain. The by keeping the gain low the less noise you get as well. Have you ever turned up a stereo to max but had nothing playing? The hiss, the noise. It's there even if no signal is running through the amp. Low gain, means low noise. Some distortion is good, it makes a system sound "warm" but too much distortion just sounds like, distortion. Same for the noise. By oversizing, but under-utilising your amplifier, you will have less distortion, less noise. Say for example a 1000W amp driving a 500W speaker it's good, just keep the gain down low. You get less noise & less distortion. /rdyno
                        Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                        Originally posted by nutttr
                        People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Ah gotcha. That goes against my initial (and obviously misguided) thinking. Cheers.

Comment

Another way to look at it... if you have a 500W amp and you crank it to 11 so it's putting out 500W, the output will be noisy and distorted, clipping like fuck. This will kill your 500W speaker in no time. You have a 1000W amp and your crank it to a 500W output, the signal will much much cleaner and with less distortion. So although both scenarios are 500W going into a 500W speaker, the end result is very different.
                            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                            Originally posted by nutttr
                            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

data_mine is right about the voice coil results from clipping, but not why. DC through a coil turns the whole coil into a heater element. It isnt just because the voicecoil isnt moving.

It is also super easy to limit the power output from an amp to your speakers. Its called a multimeter. Use ohms law. set your headunit to the max voltage you use (may not be full max, often head units distort and clip before max), now set your meter to AC voltage, and without a speaker connected - up the gain on the amp to suit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2gl-fz2Qc
                              "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Disgruntled please View Post
                                So, having trouble with 8 down. 'Late wisdom utilised by rifleman? (9)'. Ideas?
                                Hindsight?
                                "I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames"

Comment

Working...
                                X