Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hostile View Post
    Hindsight?

Comment

Hi Pf Guru's.
      I was after some coolant for my 1948 HQ Falcon and the guy at Super-repco told me they only have Green or Red Coolant but my car is Blue.
      What should i do??
      Thanks in advance. Forg.
      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

You forgot to mention something about gerly trucks.

Comment

Oh fuck. I have much to learn about PF's king of Dad Jokes.
          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
            It is also super easy to limit the power output from an amp to your speakers. Its called a multimeter. Use ohms law. set your headunit to the max voltage you use (may not be full max, often head units distort and clip before max), now set your meter to AC voltage, and without a speaker connected - up the gain on the amp to suit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2gl-fz2Qc
            i should know this but...

internal DAC's in headunits

if you're using line out on a headunit, are you bypassing the internal amp, and if so, do you still get distortion/clipping when you have it cranked?

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron, Brisbane City's friendly local drug dealer View Post
              i should know this but...

internal DAC's in headunits

if you're using line out on a headunit, are you bypassing the internal amp, and if so, do you still get distortion/clipping when you have it cranked?
              Yeah you can. There is still a 'line driver' circuit to feed the RCA out. It hopefully wont be anywhere as significant as the internal amp.
              "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Comment

Ok, again demonstrating my car audio noobness, but I was initially looking at installing a 4 channel amp to power my speaker setup. But would it be just as good if I were to get 2 x 2-channel amps. One for the rear and one for the front speakers (obviously)?

I'm thinking this will avoid me running new cables and allow me to use my existing speaker cable (and also make for a neater install) and just install thicker cabling for the final run from the two amps to their associated speakers.
                Originally posted by XXX19X
                Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Comment

I don't understand how that setup means less wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Long story short, is $4800 excessive for supplying and replacing a broken 6spd auto box on a 2010 Holden Epica?
                    I take photos of shiny things with wheels. www.rohanphillips.com

Comment

$4800 is an excessive price to pay for a complete Holden Epica
                      If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                        $4800 is an excessive price to pay for a complete Holden Epica
                        Zinggg!!

fkn lol
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

An fittings

Bottom of radiator for trasmission cooler lines

10mm - 11mm diameter

Would that be a size An -10?

NFI
                          1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE
                          2013 Opel Insignia OPC
                          2013 Kia Rio
                          2018 LDV T60

Comment

Originally posted by data_mine View Post
                            No. having them in parallel presents the amp with a 2Ohm load, means it can push twice the current, meaning power output is doubled. each speaker still gets 50W (ideal, not accounting losses, amp can run 2Ohm load etc. etc.).

Anyway, it's kind of a useless point.

overpowering speakers is LESS likely to cause damage than underpowering them.

as the speaker moves it pumps air through the voice coil, meaning it's cooling itself. Extra power isn't so bad. (not saying you can't overpower a speaker)
                            Now if underpowered, and you're pushing it hard to get the volume you want, you risk clipping, when clipping the amp is essentially a DC power source and the speaker isn't moving = no air flow = no cooling = cooks the voice coil = dead speaker.
                            No, having a crossover means it's still a 4 ohm load. (assuming decent crossover design)

From a 50W amp you could be driving the speakers with 50W of bass only, which will all go to the woofer, or 50W of treble only which apart from making your ears bleed will all go through the tweeter. So both speakers should be comfortable with accepting 50W.

Don't disagree with the rest though, make sure it is a clean signal not a square wave.
                            Originally posted by PJ O’Rourke
                            Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Comment

Originally posted by Deceiver View Post
                              How can I make nopics' car make pigeon noises with a stock BOV?
                              Hahaha

Block off the BOV

I keep thinking about doing that to my nopics car

Comment

Originally posted by GTREA View Post
                                An fittings

Bottom of radiator for trasmission cooler lines

10mm - 11mm diameter

Would that be a size An -10?

NFI
                                The AN "dash" number is the number of 16ths of an inch the internal diameter is - so -4 is 1/4", -8 is 1/2", -12 is 3/4"... so ~10mm is -6
                                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Working...
                                X