Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripper
    replied
    Originally posted by data_mine View Post

this.

the indicator 'light' is just a rudimentary hydrometer (measures the acid concentration) only good to tell you if the battery is charged or flat (and they're not that great at doing that either). won't tell you if it's dropped a cell and won't start you any more.
    Idiot light for the battery

Leave a comment:

• data_mine
    replied
    Originally posted by wazza View Post

Get the battery tested, likely well under the CCA rating so doesn't have enough amps to start.
    this.

the indicator 'light' is just a rudimentary hydrometer (measures the acid concentration) only good to tell you if the battery is charged or flat (and they're not that great at doing that either). won't tell you if it's dropped a cell and won't start you any more.

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
    Nylocs will be fine, pretty sure most of the aftermarket replacements come with nylocs as standard issue.
    Agreed. Last control arms I replaced came with nylocs nuts for the ball joints. Even if I desperately wanted castle nuts, there was no provision for use of a split pin.

Leave a comment:

• wazza
    replied
    Originally posted by F3ARED View Post
    This is probably a bit stupid but ill ask anyway.

Work hilux, current gen with shitbox 2.8. Cunt refused to crank after work unless it was jumped off my car despite battery having 12v and indicator light being green. Why?!
    Get the battery tested, likely well under the CCA rating so doesn't have enough amps to start.

Leave a comment:

• horrace
    replied
    Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
    Nylocs will be fine, pretty sure most of the aftermarket replacements come with nylocs as standard issue.
    Cheers for the reply mate! I wouldn't worry if it was just me but I have to take my stupid family and kids places haha

Leave a comment:

• 080GMH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• horrace
    replied
    I broke the castle nuts on my tie rod ends when changing the lower ball joints on my prado, I could not get replacement castle nuts in time so used nyloc nuts to do a trip. I took my touque wrench checked them once we got there and when we got back back (1000km round trip) and they hadn't moved. Should I get castle nuts now i'm back? Will I die? the nyloc nuts look way more beefy compares to the others........

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    On the battery thing, the Fiesta battery kept growing fuzzy crystals all over the negative battery terminal. I’d clean and lube it all and writhing a few days it’s be under a golf ball sized mount of stuff.

Battery never had an issue starting, little light was green just the fuzz.

Google said this was a sign that the battery was failing, except the battery worked fine right until the day it didn’t.

Got a new battery. Battery shop guy cleaned the terminals when chucking the battery in and there’s not been a trace of fuzz since.

Quite surprised by that.

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    Didnt check if voltage dropped on crank. Earths are ok, jumped it with mine and it was fine after that. I just cant understand how 12v wouldnt be enough to start it
    If the battery is marginal (aka rooted) the voltage will drop when loaded up trying to crank the engine over. And the green 'health' indicator will stay green.

Often occurs 1-2 months outside the warranty period.

Leave a comment:

• Tripper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
    You need amps to start, more so than voltage.
    me battery is not dead cause the lights work.

Leave a comment:

• Sturmovik
    replied
    You need amps to start, more so than voltage.

Leave a comment:

• F3ARED
    replied
    Didnt check if voltage dropped on crank. Earths are ok, jumped it with mine and it was fine after that. I just cant understand how 12v wouldnt be enough to start it

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    Does it stay up around 10-12V while cranking or does it drop suddenly when you turn the key?

Those green 'eye' indicators are pretty useless.

Leave a comment:

• FioriGuy
    replied

Work hilux, current gen with shitbox 2.8. Cunt refused to crank after work unless it was jumped off my car despite battery having 12v and indicator light being green. Why?!
    battery earth ok?

Leave a comment:

• F3ARED
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X