Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post
    I got a HC35 in the 300zx. Seems to be holding up well. It was 215 delivered.
    Update, no issues to report.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
      Think the one I got was a HC20. Much lighter than stock battery but only use if trying to save some weight for a track car. Each weight saving helps. For street use, I'd be using something bigger.
      How's the Hc20 going? I'm looking for a lightweight battery for my car but Ls motor? :/
      I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

I start mine with a HVT-2.

http://www.ssbpowersport.com.au/Prod...5/Default.aspx

Not super light at nearly 10kg, but it's pretty compact, price is good and is rated at over 500cca. New, I tested mine on an old style carbon pile load tester and it'll easily put out 800cca for 5 seconds.
        Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
        This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
          How's the Hc20 going? I'm looking for a lightweight battery for my car but Ls motor? :/
          Can't fault the HC20. Still going strong. Been flogged in cold weather at track days with E85 and thermos fans.
          BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Update, no issues to report.
            Thanks to a certain retarded panel shop, they sent my HC35 totally flat!

Charged it back up on the AGM Reco setting on my charger and seems to still be good. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
              Can't fault the HC20. Still going strong. Been flogged in cold weather at track days with E85 and thermos fans.
              This ain't your daily drive though, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
                This ain't your daily drive though, is it?
                It was my daily drive for nearly 9 years, until I bought the M140i.
                Now the XR6T is a road registered track car that's just driven to and from various circuit/hillclimb events.
                BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Has no problem starting the 4.0 litre?

Comment

Main thing with lithium batteries is they don't like being floated or overcharged, you'll get permanent damage VERY quickly. They don't like being run too low either. They are happiest between 20% and 80% charged.
                    Most "12V" Lithium batteries are made of 4x 3.2V LiFePO4 cells, with a battery management system inside to keep the 4 of them in balance with each other, and to cut off any loads if the voltage gets too high or too low. Some have current limits of 50A, 100A etc even though the cells can do 500-1000A easily. You would need to find one with a BMS that has enough current capacity to run your starter. I think alternators put out a higher voltage than these batteries like, but I believe the battery management/protection systems should handle this. Some of the better ones even have bluetooth.

Batteries don't like heat, I'd recommend relocating to the boot. You get peak power at 35 degrees C from a lithium battery. They don't like being charged too fast when they are cold either, but can handle cold starts fine. Lithium batteries don't really suffer from the Puekert effect either.

Lots of interesting reading here:
                    http://nordkyndesign.com/category/ma...ttery-systems/

Comment

Registering interest as I've been thinking about either an Optima or Lithium battery in the Nova as it will probably need a new one in the near'ish future. No idea what size lithium or good brands but like the lightness and general no fuss of them (plus I don't have to bother putting a lithium or optima in a box in the boot and can just leave it open/behind a panel)

Who makes the hotness in lithium car batteries to reliably kick over an LS?
                      Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

I'd considered going something funky for the Valiant like that but really can't be bothered because there's loads of room in the boot and the whole car needs to be rewired anyway. Plus weight saving in our old barges isn't a big issue!

Are the Optimas actually worthwhile? Or should I just buy a generic AGM battery that happens to fit in the Moroso boot box.

Comment

I haven't put mine in a box yet so will get a wrist slap if pulled up. Given I'll need a new battery soon I figured for the same as a new battery and box I can just stick an Optima in at least, lithium is more $'s but having run one faultlessly in the bike for years (and for how light they are!) I am interested.

And hey mine only weighs 1250kg! I can probably drop 12-15kg off the rear passenger corner with a lithium version. :D
                          Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Thanks to a certain retarded panel shop, they sent my HC35 totally flat!

Charged it back up on the AGM Reco setting on my charger and seems to still be good. Time will tell.

Almost 2 years on the HC35 is still kicking. Would bang again!

Comment

I switched to dual 220cca SSB lithiums in my SR3 (Hayabusa motor, 12v system with 24v start). Haven't had the best run but I can't exactly blame the batteries I've killed 2 in a month so I need to first try and relocate them out of engine compartment. One physically bulged up from heat after idling too long and the other I dunno I had a few electrical issues and now the battery won't hold charge. I have a feeling the Radical charging system may be overcharging them.
                              In dirt bikes they only last 2 years, they die just after the warranty period but I still use them. In the case of the SR3 I saved 10kg with lithiums and aluminium brackets compared to the Odysseys and steel brackets they come with, but then lately they have caused a few DNS's so there's a price paid there :rotflol:

Comment

I am very happy with the Optima D31 I have in the Datsun. $400
                                Starts like it's been kicked in the nuts by a mule now.
                                The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X