Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light dry cell battery recommendations

My 3 year old PC680 has pretty much died.
    Left to go dead at too many workshops and it's struggling to cope with the multiple thermo fan, fuel pump voltage requirements of my heavy, turbo taxi shitbox.

Constantly run on C-tek trickle chargers but don't have AC at most Hillclimb events I attend, and it dies by PM.
    Alternator is new.

So what are the recommendation for a high quality battery similar to the PC680?

Lithium is the current hotness but how much, seriously?

Other dry cell recommendations or another fresh new 680?
    Attached Files
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Fullriver HC20?

Suspiciously identical to the PC680, about half the price.

Comment

Fullriver HC20 if you want a straight replacement for about half the price. If you want to go lithium, we've been using SSB powersport stuff for about 18 months and it has been brilliant. LH12B-4 is tiny, a bit over 1kg in weight and puts out 400cca. Should be able to find it for under $300. If you don't need so much grunt, they do a couple of different sized 220cca (like the PC680) lithium batteries for under $200. Weigh less than 1kg too and don't need a fancy charger with lots of current to keep them charged.
      Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
      This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
        Fullriver HC20 if you want a straight replacement for about half the price. If you want to go lithium, we've been using SSB powersport stuff for about 18 months and it has been brilliant. LH12B-4 is tiny, a bit over 1kg in weight and puts out 400cca. Should be able to find it for under $300. If you don't need so much grunt, they do a couple of different sized 220cca (like the PC680) lithium batteries for under $200. Weigh less than 1kg too and don't need a fancy charger with lots of current to keep them charged.
        Very interested in this LH12B-4.

I priced these Lithium batteries at World Time Attack last year at SMP and they were much more expensive.
        Have they come down in price quite a bit then?

Will this work with the Falcon?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311397579...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Can these still be placed in the same location as the lead acid batteries and can they still function with some under bonnet heat?

Comment

In the last month or so I've put new SSB Powersport lithium batteries in both the car and bike. No issues with either. Took the bike on a 3,000km outback trip and it worked like a charm.

The 8 year old Odyssey in the car was only holding charge for a day or two so it lasted we but was heavy. The car sat in the garage for over a week between fitting the new battery and taking the car for a drive. Started straight away and has been working great. I had to fabricate a new clamp as the SSB was so much smaller than the Odyssey but other than that it is happy in the original location.

For the car I went with the 450CCA LFP51913 which is probably overkill.
            If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Spoke to some Lithium Battery gurus.

Only one they can guarantee for a race car due to high alternator current are these ones.

http://www.ssbpowersport.com.au/tabi...3/default.aspx

$2k.
              Ouch.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RACE-CAR-...item417b5e7a69

Damn!!

Comment

Got an Ultrabatt in the Fraser, it's bloody excellent.

Comment

i too am using a fullriver, although a smaller unit than the HC20 iirc. hasn't let me down in 5 years and i've run it flat a few times too. really surprised, thought it would be a lot shittier
                  1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                  The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

I run a 550cca Lithiumax battery, $450.. alloy mounting bracket was $70 from them, although we modified it slightly

I run my standard alternator, its less than 2kg and its smaller than a 330cca lead acid..

You do have to run a trickle charger on it if you arent dailying it.. but if you flatten it to 2v like i did, who gives a fuck it'll be fully charged in a couple hours with no damage to the battery.. i use a Ctek lithium charger worth ~$120

Comment

Give me a call when I get back at the end of the week Paul.
                      Or try
                      www.motorsportbatteries.com.au
                      He's local to you and does great deals on the best ones.
                      Maybe tell him I sent you for a great deal.
                      He's got some cool Fords there too.
                      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
                      I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

I've always been paranoid about using the SSB Powersport batteries, as it clearly states on their website " Please note that these are motorcycle batteries and they are not designed for use in cars or to replace much larger lead-acid batteries."

I was looking at using the 400CCA Lithiumax one in my 86.
                        2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                        2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                        2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

I am using SSB Powersport Pro L-HVT-6 in my V8 race car. Yeah overkill, 1000 CCA, but
                          it was all they had in stock at the time I needed it so they gave me this in place of an 800CCA
                          one. Starts an LS even when starter motor is hot etc, which is a common fail point
                          with LS starters. These are their motorsport/race boat series of batteries, was about
                          $700 odd at the time, two years ago. Now done two seasons strapped to the floor in the
                          back of the car. Also have something smaller, can't remember which one, in an FJR1300,
                          again, been flawless for two years now.
                          Radical SR3
                          HSV R8
                          BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                            Very interested in this LH12B-4.

I priced these Lithium batteries at World Time Attack last year at SMP and they were much more expensive.
                            Have they come down in price quite a bit then?

Will this work with the Falcon?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311397579...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            Yes, with a caveat. Engines don't take anywhere near as much current to start as people might think, especially when the starter cables are almost always rated for less peak current draw than your battery can put out. But for those days when it's freezing cold or 40 degrees outside, when your battery is a little older and the capacity has dropped off a bit, a little extra capacity is going to be a good thing to have. So id probably be looking for something in the 350-400 cca range if this is your driver.

I've personally had a couple HVT-4 dry cells which have done nearly 3 years use in cars. No problems with charging from alternator. I haven't even put it on charge periodically to make sure it's fully topped up, they seem to be still working fine.

The warning about the batteries seems to refer more to the noted difference in size. I have no doubt that they have had problems with people buying obviously physically smaller batteries and finding they don't fit their vehicle without modification, then causing issue. Especially since they used to sell on ebay quite a bit. You'd have to speak tot he manufacturer to see if it covers their entire range, but their product spiel for the lithium batteries says they are fine for use on 12v car charging systems and alternators. We use a couple of different lithium ones in carts at work because the fucktards were killing lead acid ones.
                            Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                            This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

I have had used 10 or more SSB batteries in race cars with zero failures
                              Best value lithium I have found ... I use the 700cca one
                              About $350

John P

Comment

Working...
                              X