X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road/track car: Golf 7 R vs M135i. I need a schoolin'

Watched all the youtube reviews, tests.

I'm looking at buying one of these 2 cars and will be modding the shit out of it over the next 5 years, while still keeping it drivable as a daily.

Love the M135i. Looks like a lot more fun on circuit (than the Golf) and I'm used to a rwd ZF Turbo 6 with lots of grunt and 350kg less can only be a good thing

They seem to have ironed the electrical bugs out of them in production racing (coupe version) but how well do they cope with heat? Any tuner recommendations?
    Can 245 front and 265 rears be squeezed on under the guards with wider track rims?

An after market LSD and this thing looks like bargain of the century. The looks are growing on me and I may even turn it into one of these eventually.

The Golf Mk 7 R also looks good and running E85 could be a weapon once I hand my credit card over to APR. 235 tyres the max though?
    Attached Files
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

I've got nothing to add but the m135i is on my short list for next year when my lease is up.

Comment

For fun I think the RWD platform of the beemer will always win out over AWD golf. Nopics has that golf and it's a great daily but a bit dull. More fasts would make it..... More fast..... But still dull.

Comment

Strange thing is I thought these looked ugly as fuck in 2012, but the subtle changes are growing on me.
        Still, not the reason I am considering this car. Light weight RWD beemer. Always wanted a new one but always too expensive.
        (Damn, that's a 125 rear, but you get the picture....)
        Attached Files

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Why not a M235i?

Comment

Focus RS

Comment

Originally posted by redgsr View Post
              Why not a M235i?
              Need 4 doors to fit my short ass children in while they are still short asses.

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
                Focus RS
                Need an auto because lots of peak hour Sydney driving.

Comment

^ That makes me ask what sort of track use you intend for it?

Does M135i in auto form have that 8spd ZF that's brilliant? That'd be a plus for the BMW if so, if it's their dual-clutch automated manual, I believe a Mk7's DSG is prolly better.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

[QUOTE=Forg;842571522]^ That makes me ask what sort of track use you intend for it?

8 speed ZF.

Comment

I had a modded Mk 6 R that I just sold to get into an M135i. I can't think of any way in which is the Golf is better, except maybe looks. If the M135i had an LSD it'd be almost perfect.

I don't track the car, just drive to and from work and try to give it a hit as often as possible. I'm not sure either car is the best choice for a track car.

Tune wise everyone just puts a JB4 piggy back on them. JB4, downpipe and E85 and it's going to be in the high 3xx rwhp range for $1,500 outlay. LSD is expensive though as something is welded in - looking at about $5k.

Comment

Road/track car: Golf 7 R vs M135i. I need a schoolin'

I hired an bog standard M135i through RSR for a track day at Nurburgring. I was so impressed I ordered one in January. It's on the boat from Germany as we speak. Should be ready to pickup first week of April.

babybmw.net is a great reference site. 1addicts.com also has some helpful info. JB4 is apparently the hotness regarding tune. Quaife LSDs are the recommended skid solution according to the internets.

I ordered mine in Estoril Blue with HK sound upgrade, sunroof, 8sp ZF auto and......

Comfort Pack Bitches!!

This will be the first auto trans car I've owned. Yes, the auto trans really is awesome.

Rumour has it there's an M140i in the wings. No idea on when. 20 odd horsepower increase apparently.
                        Pics of M135i in Estoril Blue. Facelifted model looks much better than previous version IMHO.

Comment

Surprising how long these took to catch on. When I bought mine in 2012 I thought they were a ridiculous bargain and expected the price would be revised upwards. Instead the price dropped by around 10%, auto became a no cost option and >10% discounts are pretty normal.

Would have bought another late last year but Golf Rs new were just below 50k and I settled for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

peak hr needs an auto? :rotflol:

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post
                              peak hr needs an auto? :rotflol:
                              Fuck yeah, peak hour needs a fucking auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X