Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"new" Supra supposedly coming in 2018...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    Its not going to be 1400kg, no way. The original Supra wasnt that light, and theres' been 20 years' of mandated safety shit and trinket creep in the meantime.
    Plus iron block, apparently.
    the mules that were running the B58 were weighing in at 1340kg. The new engine came in at 40kg extra. CGI is the rumour, which is lighter (and stronger) than cast grey iron that the original JZ block was.

A source close to Tada hinted to me to expect around 1400kg

It's pretty much 86 sized (1250kg) and has a lot of lightweight composites in it's construction.

that said, Toyota US' idea for the car tipped it close to 1500, because of electric heated seats and all sorts of luxury bullshit. But who knows. The base chassis and engine combo with the ZF8 is high 1300kg

i've been chatting to people who were working on the project and they've given me as much as possible without breaching NDAs

the older mules did a 7:40 at the ring and offer performance (on paper) almost identical to a Cayman GT4. it is more sports/track focused than any supra before it, but will not be a slouch in a straight line.

apparently straight line performance is very similar to cayman S but with more torque and a ZF8.

The 'new' iron engine is horribly detuned from factory i am told

who knows, the car could suck, i'm enjoying sifting through internet rumours and hunting down info.

hybrid is a 'maybe'

all of the fancy versions are being tested in shibetsu (toyota's facility in Japan) and information is a lot harder to get out. rumour is mid life cycle may add manual option and GRMN option (which will be high power and high cost)
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra 2JZGE track
    '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
    '19 Supra B58 <3

PSN: RyleyMA61
    Steam: FapPappy61

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post

Yeah. If itís basically a Japanese m2 thatís a win.
      apparently the new Z4 is faster around the track than the M2, and the A90 was 10 seconds faster around Spa than the Z4... But i think Toyota assisted BMW in the handling since the Z4 got spanked so hard.
      '84 Supra 7MGTE
      '86 Supra 2JZGE track
      '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
      '19 Supra B58 <3

PSN: RyleyMA61
      Steam: FapPappy61

Comment

Hang on Modern Supra what is arguably the modern 2J engine and you're all whinge like little girls.

There's already an aftermarket tuning industry for these engines releasing 100hp with an intercepter box. As well as a large flash tuning industry where 500bhp isn't difficult to get.

https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ec...151489163.html

This is what a modern Supra should be. A GT car with semi reasonable performance but a massive ability to be lent on by the aftermarket industry for huge power gains.

Comment

The most annoying part is not so much about what it is, but what it could be. Its so easy for this to be a ~450hp 6 speed manual, but no, its gained 20hp in 20 years and is now auto only. Its marketing and bureaucracy insulting the product it was based on.

I like the Z4, I think its a great car. But its not a Supra.
          this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
            The most annoying part is not so much about what it is, but what it could be. Its so easy for this to be a ~450hp 6 speed manual, but no, its gained 20hp in 20 years and is now auto only. Its marketing and bureaucracy insulting the product it was based on.

I like the Z4, I think its a great car. But its not a Supra.
            400hp now is more effective than 400hp then though. Chassis, gearbox, engine tech will make it a lot faster out of the box for the same hp.
            Expect good tune only gains and away you go.
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
              if you're a JZA80 fan (or JZA80 owner) you are most definitely not the target market. People who own or aspire to own 25+ year old cars generally do not have six figures to spend on a new car. Toyota marketing is well aware of this. Sorry fans...
              They just spend 6 figures modifying them for 1000+ hp

In regards to getting knowledge out of japan is hard..... LOL, i work at Toyota head office and even i know a couple drinks with the staff and you will get anything you want.

not sure if these are posted here but infomation is spot on.

CISCOKIDS
              The Gentlemen's Club
              Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                Okay, so we now seem to know it's 250KW, and given an 86 is ~1250kg I'm going to guess at 1400kg. That makes it 179kW/tonne.

That should put it in the high 4.x range for 0-100 and high 12s?

By comparison, a 718 Cayman S is 257kW and 1385kg, and does 4.3/12.4 according to Wheels with PDK transmission. And is $150k plus options and ORC.

So if it's say half the price of a Cayman S it doesn't seem so bad...
                BMW M140is with the same powertrain (B58 and ZF8) consistently run mid 12s at 111mph and they weigh 1550kgs.

People have been getting pretty good results out of the B58 so far with piggy backs. Proper ECU tuning is just becoming available now and should be even better.
                450hp will just require a downpipe and a tune.

Comment

I guess from that pic above,the A80 only went 10PS over the outgoing A70, now the A90 (?) 60PS more than the outgoing A80
                  Originally posted by The Property Guru
                  don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
                  Originally posted by oxy
                  No, that's asians
                  A80 Supra
                  80 Landcruiser

Comment

Looks short!!

Originally posted by oxy
                    No, that's asians
                    A80 Supra
                    80 Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by oxy
                      No, that's asians
                      A80 Supra
                      80 Landcruiser

Comment

The shifter looks exactly like what's in my E61.

The exterior looks very 86ish.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

So does the idrive controller.

CGI Fe is interesting. I still don't buy it.
                          The B58 is BMW's mass production alignment of petrol and diesel engines. Something for example, VAG has been doing for 3 decades now. Basically it also serves as a diesel block that takes a shit tonne of torque as is. It's already a single but you can tell, a small one that runs out of puff at 5500. Valvetronic in the head makes it an absolute basket case to do things like headwork and especially cams. So you're stuck with a piss poor powerband and efficiency when strapping on larger turbos. I hope they "fix" this, but I seriously doubt it. If this comes close to GT4 territory, Porsche might have to give it a real GT engine eventually

Tunability does not equate to sales. Why the fuck would they care what it is worth 25 years later?

Comment

Is it confirmed theyíre using the B58?

M140i owner checking in to pay Toyota prices for BMW tuning!

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                              The shifter looks exactly like what's in my E61.
                              Yeah but it's going to hold together a lot better.

I think the thing looks quality. Like the last Supra, loads of blank plastics annoy me but your not looking at that when the loud pedal is in the carpet.

Still not a fan of the dribble down info. It'll put me off buying a car.

Comment

steering wheels are beginning to look really retarded
                                www.holditflat.com

Comment

Working...
                                X