FWD Commodore

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that these have been canned, they seem to be at clearance pricing. Local dealer had a demo Calais Tourer today (so V6 AWD wagon), RRP $51-something, sticker price $39k. Gotta be better than most other family car options for that sort of money, and even if depreciation is awful you’re starting from a much lower figure.

Comment

Seriously tempted to look at an RS wagon, McGrath has a few for >$30k with 30k on the clock. Nopics reckons they look good and can't believe they failed so badly.

Comment

I liked my RS sedan, the motor is a gem and the handling/braking is a bit more "European" than the aussie Commodores. I'm not sold on how long they will last in the Aussie environment as some things didn't seem the best quality/finish but they are nice to drive even if wrong wheel drive.

The turbo on the 2L is pretty small but handily located and just begging for something larger to be put on. Not sure if anyone is modding the GM 4-cyl?
        Marvellous things so quickly get mundane

Comment

I'd be worried about depreciation, even at already reduced prices. After all, who is going to want to buy these from you in 3 years time?

Its like weird French cars - worthless!
          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
            I'd be worried about depreciation, even at already reduced prices. After all, who is going to want to buy these from you in 3 years time?

Well i suppose techically they are a weird french car, just with Holden badging that may or may not be able to be replaced with a chev badge, a peugeot badge, or a mopar pentastar in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
              Well i suppose techically they are a weird french car, just with Holden badging that may or may not be able to be replaced with a chev badge, a peugeot badge, or a mopar pentastar in the near future
              It's a bit worser than that; they're not going to be made or sold under any badge, so you wouldn't expect any sort of parts availability long term.
              But buying one for $30k and it only being worth $5k in 3 years is better than buying one for $60k and it still being worth $30k in 3 years ... assuming it doesn't break. Except you'd only buy it if you wanted to keep it a bit longer than that IMHO, ie. if you know it's got no resale you'd have to be planning to keep it "forever".
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

a mates picking one up a Calais V tourer from Sydney for 37ish on the weekend. will report back. they plan to keep it until it dies....
                ~~ ~~
                ~ (**) ~
                ~~ /\~~
                ~ mmm...stick boobies~

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post

If you’re buying anything new and turning over after three years then you probably already accept epic depreciation as a fact of life

For someone like me who buys a new car to keep anywhere from five to ten years, it’s a non event.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                    Seriously tempted to look at an RS wagon, McGrath has a few for >$30k with 30k on the clock. Nopics reckons they look good and can't believe they failed so badly.
                    Thats 30km not 30,000km right?

Honestly if my nopics could be convinced to drive a car of that size, it would be ideal for us at those sorts of prices.

Its arguable that that they didn’t fail that badly. As a Commodore, sure, given its predecessors sold in massive numbers. As a medium to large sedan/wagon in the context of SUV-mad 2019, it was second only to the Camry in sales.

Comment

Recently I was in an uber of said vehicle.. Seemed quite nice inside.

Would buy for $8k surely in ~3 years.
                      your former friendly cambodian dictator

Comment

As mentioned awhile back, local Holden dealer has 0km base model sedans at $25k drive away and I figure he's negotiable.

Personally if I was in the market for a car at $25 k I'd get a hatch back version. You get a new car with safety and tech, decent engine with a warranty of sorts (who knows how long they will last as a company) and the thing doesn't look as bad at that price point. At the end when it finally lets go of a part thats worth more than the car eight or ten years away, dig a hole and bury it. You've had a brand new car for $2500 a year.

Comment

The only way to offload one of these in 5 years time will be with a tin of mower fuel and a rag.

Comment

Yeah even at those prices i wouldn't bother. There dead and the parent companies future is so bleak it is like buying a Saab a week before they shut up shop.
                            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                              The only way to offload one of these in 5 years time will be with a tin of mower fuel and a rag.
                              Given how they rate against their competition, I'm with mizone - it doesn't matter. You could be all excited about offloading your $50k Mazda6 for $25k in 5 years, when the $25k-new Commodore was a better drive & had more room & has cost you less over that 5 years so you can afford to park it in Scruby's front yard after 5 years & set it alight ...
                              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Driven past a couple of WA dealers and they're offloading them at 24,990 with alloys, looks to be leather trim and all.
                                Still not selling. No pics doesn't even want a bar of it, one Holden is enough apparently.
                                At that price point they seem perfectly disposable. Once the warrantys up trade it in for $1000 on the next car and it's still cost you fuck all. Realisticallt it can't be any worse than a VE so they'll have a solid 8-10 year lifespan before they fall apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X