Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy at work is ordering a Model 3. Starts at 75 to 105 depending on options.

Trading his 2017 M3.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Model 3's are drive away (NSW at least) 72K to 126K (QLD prices are probably 1-2K cheaper based on state taxes)

Comment

Luxury car brand Jaguar to go all electric by 2025, Land Rover also to produce electric model - ABC News

Struggling luxury car brand Jaguar says it will phase out internal combustion engines in a plan to go fully electric by 2025.
        Key points:
        • Jaguar Land Rover hopes the move will help turn around the fortunes of the 86-year-old brand
        • The more profitable Land Rover brand will produce its first all-electric model in 2024
        • The move has been welcomed by British Transport Secretary and the Prime Minister

Jaguar Land Rover, which is owned by Indian conglomerate Tata Motors, hopes the move will help turn around the fortunes of the 86-year-old luxury brand.

The switch to an electric future will involve moving car production from JLR's Castle Bromwich factory, east of the central England city of Birmingham, to nearby Solihull.

Chief executive Thierry Bollore said the firm was "exploring opportunities to repurpose" the Castle Bromwich plant, leading to speculation it could be used for battery production.

Jaguar Land Rover also said the far more profitable Land Rover brand would produce its first all-electric model in 2024 as it, too, phased out internal combustion engines.

"We have all the ingredients at our disposal to reimagine the business and the experiences our customers seek, to reimagine to benchmark of luxury," Mr Bollore said.

The move has been welcomed by British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps as "a huge step for British car manufacturing". UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson also backed the move.

Comment

Lucas is on the case
          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Most countries have a range of subsidies for EVs to counter the higher manufacturing cost and encourage takeup so the headline price over there is likely not comparable to backwards-ass countries that dont have any subsidies (like Australia....)

The UK for example currently has about a dozen EVs on the market for under $50k AUD
            Australia has one (the MG)
            Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Adjusting LCT for Inflation, or removing it from Low Volume BEV's would be a good start Australia

Comment

Not gonna happen with current mob, that Angus Taylor fuck went as far as to cool the books against BEVs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...to-keep-rising

But whatever I didn't buy one to save the planet, so no fucks given.

Comment

England talking of ending production of ICE cars by 2030, Japan talking about doing the same. I reckon that 2030 will be pushed back by 5-10 years. Where else are our RHD ICE cars going to come from? Satellite plants in Thailand?

Jag going EV. Christ they've got to do something. They are the alternative behind BMW, Mercedes & Audi. They tried going in to the popular 3-series, C-class segment and it didn't go too well. Their SUVs seem to be selling. If they want sales then they are going to have to try bold strategies hence the "fuck it, the whole range is going to be EV" strategy. I hope that it works out well for them.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                    The UK for example currently has about a dozen EVs on the market for under $50k AUD
                    Australia has one (the MG)
                    UK also has categories for "heavy quadricycle"

from the wiki "Quadricycles (L7e), also referred to as Heavy quadricycles, are defined by Framework Directive 2002/24/EC as motor vehicles with four wheels "other than those referred to (as light quadricycles), whose unladen mass is not more than 450 kg[3] (category L7e) (600 kg for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles,"

Landcruiser Vs 600kg of plastic non passenger protecting shell is not something I'd like to hose off the road.

This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post

UK also has categories for "heavy quadricycle"

from the wiki "Quadricycles (L7e), also referred to as Heavy quadricycles, are defined by Framework Directive 2002/24/EC as motor vehicles with four wheels "other than those referred to (as light quadricycles), whose unladen mass is not more than 450 kg[3] (category L7e) (600 kg for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles,"

Landcruiser Vs 600kg of plastic non passenger protecting shell is not something I'd like to hose off the road.
                      Get rid of land cruisers from cities/urban centres, problem sorted i/
                      Last edited by clutch-monkey; 17-02-21, 08:38 AM.
                      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                      Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
                        Lucas is on the case
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	1dsubt.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	7227600

The thought of anything electrical, automotive and English is a terrifying proposition. I've seen the stuff Jack does, seen modern Minis (which are BMW's) and current model Jags.
                        "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post

Get rid of land cruisers from cities/urban centres, problem sorted i/
                          Then how else will Karen drop off Tarquin and Melonoma at school????

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	1dsubt.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	7227600

The thought of anything electrical, automotive and Indian is a terrifying proposition. I've seen the stuff Jack does, seen modern Minis (which are BMW's) and current model Jags.
                            Fixed

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Babalouie
                            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Thinking it over a bit, I'm surprised at just how big a gap Tesla has been able to create back to the established prestige players. I'd have thought the Model S appearing in 2012 and later announcement of the Model 3 would have caused BMW, Benz etc to do something substantial - but all they've done so far is produce some expensive (EQC, E-tron) or oddball (i3, i8) products and left that 3/C/A4 segment wide open. By the time they're in that segment, Tesla will have sold well over a million Model 3s.

Jaguar's play might look bold but it's about the only sensible play left open to them - basically hope to be second behind Tesla in luxury EVs and gain an advantage over the Germans and Lexus that way.

Alfa I assume will arrive at the party circa 2032, announce a ten model EV line up, and actually sell six cars total.

Comment

welcome to the transition phase, will see this kind of setup in more and more performance cars as the years go on. vette will get similar as well except e-awd.
                                this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Working...
                                X