Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leave mine on %

as distance is epa distance and not tied to actual consumption

and you need to go into the energy screen to see an accurate estimate

the leaf was miles better at displaying the distance to empty range

that said % is fine, no anxiety

I only charge to 70% as well and I know it’ll get me 400km around town at that level

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

Pretty much guarantee you that if you take it on one road trip it will be every road trip afterwards. Absolute beasts on a road trip, super comfortable, relaxing. Autopilot (even without FSD) is great.
      Agree with you about trip planning - I tend to stop every two hours or so anyway so doing a charge while I get coffee/lunch is no big deal.

The biggest issue for us is there just isn’t much room behind me if I’m driving, and we have two kids. Might have to see how far forward/high I can put the seat before I get uncomfortable. I guess one of them could sit in the centre rear but I reckon they’d get the shits sitting that close to each other.

Then there’s charging in Sydney, our most common trip. My parents live near Liverpool - have a look on Plugshare for how few charging options there are near there. ABRP reckons my best strategy to get from here to Liverpool and back involves supercharging at Goulburn both ways, and then Broadway once I’m in Sydney.

That will surely get better in time, but it’s not good now. Still, I’m keen to try it if the rear seat space issue can be worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

Then there’s charging in Sydney, our most common trip. My parents live near Liverpool - have a look on Plugshare for how few charging options there are near there. ABRP reckons my best strategy to get from here to Liverpool and back involves supercharging at Goulburn both ways, and then Broadway once I’m in Sydney.

That will surely get better in time, but it’s not good now. Still, I’m keen to try it if the rear seat space issue can be worked out.
        Supercharging at Goulburn is OK but if I was staying in Liverpool i'd add on a full charge on the way through at Picton (NRMA 50kw charger/free) depending on what you were doing during the week or so / opportunities for Destination charging.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

SR+ is 68K (Drive Away) and LR is 84K (Drive Away).

Compare away say 84K sedan (no some tiny hatchback) that will do 0-100 in 4.4 secs, 3.7 (with a 3K upgrade), "in gear" acceleration that nothing shy for 200K will come close to??? Not filling up is also a bonus.
          Pondering this the only thing I can see that comes close for $135k is the M550i pure. Full size sedan. AWD, 0-100 in 3.7, 80-120 in 2.0 and 11.7@125mph quarters. Personally I went M550i as I wanted a V8, a bigger car and I like to tune my cars for more performance (not a china upgrade but 3k is about right).
          When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

That’s cool and all but it’s 50k more and costs you money to run, my 3 is zero for me to refuel and that’s handy as I’m driving 30-40k a year for some reason… I only work 10 fucking km from home!

ill still take my LR and then a bike and a cool old valiant

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
              That’s cool and all but it’s 50k more and costs you money to run, my 3 is zero for me to refuel and that’s handy as I’m driving 30-40k a year for some reason… I only work 10 fucking km from home!

ill still take my LR and then a bike and a cool old valiant
              Each to their own. I've always wanted a performance v8/daily and this fits the bill well with a comfort/room and a the interior is a lovely place to be. 3k of mods and its a high 2.x 0-100 mid 10 second car which appeals along with the sound and fury. Plus its a sleeper which has its own appeal.

For us now that the road from Sydney to Gold Coast is dual carriageway most of the way is we can do the run up in about 8-9 hours with minimal stops. Saves an overnight stay in a crappy motel which I hate and in the diesel Macan which we've used up until now no fuel stops either.

That's a lot of kms a year!!! I think the most I've ever done is 20k.
              Last edited by biteme; 19-04-21, 11:34 AM.
              When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Autonomous Tesla crashed and burned with no one behind the wheel, I guess lucky it didn't take anyone else out.
                Wonder who is responsible for the crash?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...exas/100078068

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                  Autonomous Tesla crashed and burned with no one behind the wheel, I guess lucky it didn't take anyone else out.
                  Wonder who is responsible for the crash?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...exas/100078068
                  The comments at Jalopnik say that the crash happened a couple of hundred metres away from the spot when they jumped in and took off, also it seems strange that autopilot would have allowed it to get to a huge speed on a suburban side road. I wonder if the dashcam footage was salvaged
                  Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctorias-ev-tax

A coalition of car manufacturers, industry groups, infrastructure companies and environmentalists have branded the Victorian government’s proposed electric vehicle tax the “worst electric vehicle policy in the world”.

In an open letter, published as a full-page advertisement in the Age newspaper on Thursday, the group of 25 organisations lashed the state government’s policy.

“This new tax means the world’s manufacturers are far less likely to send Victorians their best, most affordable, zero emissions vehicles,” the letter states. “That makes things much harder for Victorian families who want to buy and drive electric.”

The signatories include Hyundai, Volkswagen, Uber, Jetcharge, the Clean Energy Council, Solar Citizens, Doctors for the Environment Australia and the Australia Institute.
                    When introducing its plan to make electric vehicle drivers pay by the kilometre, the Victorian state government said it was about ensuring a fair contribution towards paying for road use, because they weren’t paying the fuel excise.

The user-pays system will require drivers to keep a logbook of their travels from July that will then be used to calculate a charge of 2.5 cents/km to be paid when they renew their registration. Records will need to be kept for five years and people who fail to produce records may face charges.
                    In the interests of fairness, since eventually everyone will be driving EVs anyway, it should be mandatory for all Victorian road users right now to keep a logbook of their travels. Lets see how well that goes down.
                    Originally posted by Jim
                    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

The comments at Jalopnik say that the crash happened a couple of hundred metres away from the spot when they jumped in and took off, also it seems strange that autopilot would have allowed it to get to a huge speed on a suburban side road. I wonder if the dashcam footage was salvaged
                      hacked? assassination? or software fault?
                      This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                        https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctorias-ev-tax

In the interests of fairness, since eventually everyone will be driving EVs anyway, it should be mandatory for all Victorian road users right now to keep a logbook of their travels. Lets see how well that goes down.
                        My flatmates tesla has doubled our power bill, I feel like a levy on the power bill will be a the long term option

Comment

Originally posted by omac View Post

My flatmates tesla has doubled our power bill, I feel like a levy on the power bill will be a the long term option
                          Do you have off-peak or time of use? Much cheaper to charge out of peak times. Teslas can be set to scheduled charging.

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post

hacked? assassination? or software fault?
                            or "i did something stupid and crashed my car but will blame it on the vehicle so i dont look like an idiot and also get an insurance payout" like those Prius crashes that turned out to be not the car at all but the drivers being retarded

Not suggesting that line fits this case in particular but never underestimate the ability of people to be idiots.
                            Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

Do you have off-peak or time of use? Much cheaper to charge out of peak times. Teslas can be set to scheduled charging.
                              Don't think he schedules it and we are on single rate I think, but costs aren't my problem. Just more referring to how do you tax it, seems an energy levy would be easy enough enact with smart meters, wall chargers or even just a kW levy for registered owners 🤷‍♂️.

Comment

Or - as i keep banging on about and as the article i posted mentions:

Merzian said it was “somewhat disingenuous” to suggest that roads were funded by the fuel excise because those funds collected by the federal government went towards general revenue.
                                dont have any stupid user-pays tax at all.
                                Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X