Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by fury View Post
    ^ a little related to the above...

    I did find this semi-interesting: https://www.caradvice.com.au/943132/...-drive-review/ as a comparison, as this is what our stupid muppets in Canberra think is an actual alternative to EV's ..while being completely sucked off by the ff industry so they can still continue to sell a "fuel" in 10 years time.

    So a car that is very much as slow, under-powered, and no doubt as boring to drive as my 20 year old SUV... has range of 650km, so not much more than a SR+ or at least the LR.. storage space of a tiny hatchback, and worse still costs the same as a Tesla 3 SR+ (or a couple of other EV),

    Yes, the major plus is that you can recharge in 5 mins if one day there is hydrogen stations around, however this does require quite specialist tech to produce; rather than the more general idea of generating some electricity from whatever sources are available. Also comes with the downside you can't just charge it in your home, or anywhere with a power socket overnight, which would suit 95% of the use cases for nearly everybody, nearly all of the time.
    Well done Government for trying to back something that seems to completely suck balls!
    and if Shell/BP/Caltex etc are involved in supply of Hydrogen you can bet it will be getting produced from fossil fuels (gas) not electrolysis.
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

    Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

      Agree with you about trip planning - I tend to stop every two hours or so anyway so doing a charge while I get coffee/lunch is no big deal.

      The biggest issue for us is there just isn’t much room behind me if I’m driving, and we have two kids. Might have to see how far forward/high I can put the seat before I get uncomfortable. I guess one of them could sit in the centre rear but I reckon they’d get the shits sitting that close to each other.

      Then there’s charging in Sydney, our most common trip. My parents live near Liverpool - have a look on Plugshare for how few charging options there are near there. ABRP reckons my best strategy to get from here to Liverpool and back involves supercharging at Goulburn both ways, and then Broadway once I’m in Sydney.

      That will surely get better in time, but it’s not good now. Still, I’m keen to try it if the rear seat space issue can be worked out.
      Reading this highlights why people are still "Scared" or have range anxiety etc when it sounds like such a pain in the ass / inconvenience just to drive from our capital City to our largest city and back.
      Surely if any 2 cities where going to not be a headfuck it would be these 2. I guess a Kings Generator on a box tailer could sort it out for you. Where still a loong way off EV's being the norm here or at least thought of as the go to purchase for anything other than a city car that can do 0-100 quickly.
      I climbed Mt Druitt

      Comment


        Hop in Tesla, set destination, start driving. It will tell you where to stop and for how long. Done.

        Examples Marty have where to "optimise" the trip. If you're going somewhere not serviced by network take your other car. It's not like of members done have 3-4 cars minimum.

        In three months of ownership I've done almost 6,000 KM vs about 5,000KM a year in the Focus RS. It my go-to car in the fleet. Comfortable, fast, no stopping for fuel. Do Iiss the smell and sound.yeah for sure, that why I'll be driving my Datsun today.
        Last edited by MZ21; 25-04-21, 10:04 AM.

        Comment


          Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

          Reading this highlights why people are still "Scared" or have range anxiety etc when it sounds like such a pain in the ass / inconvenience just to drive from our capital City to our largest city and back.
          Surely if any 2 cities where going to not be a headfuck it would be these 2. I guess a Kings Generator on a box tailer could sort it out for you. Where still a loong way off EV's being the norm here or at least thought of as the go to purchase for anything other than a city car that can do 0-100 quickly.
          Both your comment and the one you are replying to are from people (no offence) that don't own one.

          When you get one ... it's extremely easy.

          My other vehicle will do 1100 kms without fueling and i'll still take the Tesla every time that's not crossing the simpson desert.



          Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

          Comment


            I'm sure it's quite easy to hop in your Tesla and and it'll tell you when and where to fuel up, when you're only one of 20000 that's on the road.
            Things might be different when you're one of 15000000.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
              I'm sure it's quite easy to hop in your Tesla and it'll tell you when and where to fuel up, when you're only one of 20000 that's on the road.
              Things might be different when you're one of 15000000.
              Don't you think as more people get into leccy cars the infrastructure supporting it will also keep up? It's not like fast chargers out there is a charity. Imagine if every larger servo (you that bigger BP, Shell, Caltex sites) all had, say 3-4 charging stall each, problem fixed. Do you think that fuel companies are sitting idle? They want to cash in as well. In Europe, petrol service stations are already being converted (or I should say adding) to have to charge stalls. Charging from a fast charger is premium $$ in Australia anywhere from 40c-60c per kWh, no brainer for fuel companies to add charging stalls, it's just another revenue stream.

              Comment


                Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

                Don't you think as more people get into leccy cars the infrastructure supporting it will also keep up? It's not like fast chargers out there is a charity. Imagine if every larger servo (you that bigger BP, Shell, Caltex sites) all had, say 3-4 charging stall each, problem fixed. Do you think that fuel companies are sitting idle? They want to cash in as well. In Europe, petrol service stations are already being converted (or I should say adding) to have to charge stalls. Charging from a fast charger is premium $$ in Australia anywhere from 40c-60c per kWh, no brainer for fuel companies to add charging stalls, it's just another revenue stream.
                When I stop at the servo it probably takes 5mins and yet at some servos with 20+ pumps you still end up waiting. Replace that with electric cars all requiring 30-60mins.

                Now the counter to that is lots of people will never need to charge away from home. But in the short to medium term I think the pain point will be at these big stations on main highways half way between major centres that get used by holidayers.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                  I'm sure it's quite easy to hop in your Tesla and and it'll tell you when and where to fuel up, when you're only one of 20000 that's on the road.
                  Things might be different when you're one of 15000000.
                  In the countries where they have more of them, they funnily enough added more chargers.

                  Australia is no different, there's a few competing companies out there doing them already for profit, not for charity. Tesla again has a bit of an edge here due to the extra information they are getting from the vehicles and can do real time availability/demand etc but the other brands are still networked.



                  Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

                    When I stop at the servo it probably takes 5mins and yet at some servos with 20+ pumps you still end up waiting. Replace that with electric cars all requiring 30-60mins.

                    Now the counter to that is lots of people will never need to charge away from home. But in the short to medium term I think the pain point will be at these big stations on main highways half way between major centres that get used by holidayers.
                    You spend more time charging (not that much more because you don't "fill up"..) but you save time in not waiting in line to pay like a homeless cunt.

                    I save time because whilst my car is charging itself im off taking a shit/grabbing lunch/grabbing a coffee instead of having to do that after fueling/paying.
                    Last edited by KarenHusseinXF; 26-04-21, 11:57 AM.
                    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

                      When I stop at the servo it probably takes 5mins and yet at some servos with 20+ pumps you still end up waiting. Replace that with electric cars all requiring 30-60mins.

                      Now the counter to that is lots of people will never need to charge away from home. But in the short to medium term I think the pain point will be at these big stations on main highways half way between major centres that get used by holidayers.
                      Norway seems to managing just fine with 75% of new cars being Electric. Fast charging is only really needed when not able charge from your regular setup, 6,000 KM I've fast charged about 900KM and half of that was because it was included free for 1,500 KM of charging.
                      Last edited by MZ21; 26-04-21, 12:00 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
                        Aaaaaaand what happens when 99.9% of folks don't bother to keep a diary of every journey
                        Surely its just the planned sequence to get to full big brother so our vehicles movement is logged 100% of the time including speed, locations, acceleration rates, driver weight, no passengers etc. It makes my skin crawl thinking that freedom is going to be taken away from the public

                        Comment


                          it’s not really the same scenario as refuelling at a servo because
                          *charge points can exist in far more places than servos can - car parks, shopping centres, lay-bys, etc
                          *a significant number of cars will rarely if ever charge at a public point because they charge from home
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

                          Originally posted by elfturbomax
                          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

                          Comment


                            5000km in 6 weeks in my model 3 so far

                            still never been to a chargers other than at home

                            i might have to go visit a SC just in case I do a road trip so I know how to do it, car goes far enough around town I only charge to 70% now
                            ..........

                            Comment


                              Now here's a case of actual range anxiety:

                              https://www.caradvice.com.au/947573/...out-of-charge/

                              Comment


                                Soooo the Rimac c_2 is pretty fast...

                                "There are three types of people...Those who can count and those who can't"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X