Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    At the risk of being called a tesla hater, I was watching something today on TV and regarding repairing them the panel shop (high end one) mentioned how they have to isolate every tesla that comes in due the risk of battery combustion due to accident damage.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
      Probably a dumb question, but can these things tow ? As in a trailer boat or caravan ?

      I think for many people that would be something that removes any barrier towards looking at one...
      The answer on that is a bit mixed. IIRC Tesla doesn't provide a tow rating or sell a towbar in Australia, but it does in Europe. I don't know why that is.

      But I'd guess that most people who want to tow something will want a dual cab or SUV to do it with, so they might be better off waiting for the Cybertruck or Rivian R1T/R1S.

      Comment


        From my limited understanding, even those EVs which can technically tow a decent load will suffer dramatically reduced range (obviously depending on the size of the load) to the point where you might struggle to reach the next charging point.

        Obviously this depends on battery capacity which is bound to improve over time, but I don't think it would be viable to tow a decent sized boat or caravan behind a Model 3 for example.
        Norbie!

        Comment


          I think that's probably right, but realistically nobody is going around towing a boat or caravan behind a BMW 3 series either which is basically the same class of car.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
            Probably a dumb question, but can these things tow ? As in a trailer boat or caravan ?

            I think for many people that would be something that removes any barrier towards looking at one...
            The ones that can tow, tow fine but generally they are the wrong vehicle for towing. You don't tow boats with a BMW 3 series for example.

            Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

            Comment


              Cybertruck / Rivian will tow like beasts but the punters spending 40k on a thaicab aren't going to be interested in the 150k+ price tag.

              The 200 series / F truck / RAM 2500 market would be the comparison vehicles.

              Last edited by KarenHusseinXF; 05-05-21, 11:21 AM.
              Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

              Comment


                Which ones tow?

                I'd only need to tow an absolute maximum of 500kg, probably closer to 250kg.
                .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

                Dr Hoon
                .

                DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

                Comment


                  Electric trucks with "swap and go" batteries to run Sydney- Melbourne

                  https://www.theguardian.com/australi...able-batteries

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                    Which ones tow?

                    I'd only need to tow an absolute maximum of 500kg, probably closer to 250kg.
                    Model X has a tow rating in Australia

                    and they did a head to head with a Toyota abs the model X was miles better at pulling the van but the range was reduced by half

                    im sure goooogle will have the article
                    ..........

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                      From my limited understanding, even those EVs which can technically tow a decent load will suffer dramatically reduced range (obviously depending on the size of the load) to the point where you might struggle to reach the next charging point.

                      Obviously this depends on battery capacity which is bound to improve over time, but I don't think it would be viable to tow a decent sized boat or caravan behind a Model 3 for example.
                      You look to be spot on here, 50% reduction in this test - https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventu...-model-x-74243
                      this signature intentionally left blank

                      Comment


                        That BMW iX is a fucking abortion. What is going on with BMW's styling department these days.

                        Comment


                          https://youtu.be/i7yigpPSu_o
                          When too much horsepower is barely enough

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post

                            Model X has a tow rating in Australia

                            and they did a head to head with a Toyota abs the model X was miles better at pulling the van but the range was reduced by half

                            im sure goooogle will have the article
                            Not trying to take anything away from the Tesla here but miles better? at the moment your basically stuck with following charge stations that are around 250kms apart, any more and ya stuck. The big ol shitty diesel covered the 162km trip from the 2 charge stations with the ability to cover another 576kms without refuelling. Is that really comparable?

                            Comment


                              Nothing less than buying a brand new vehicle specifically to tow a 2-plus ton van on a long country trip makes that a valid conclusion - the Tesla as pointed out in the article is better than the Cruiser in so many ways you'd put up with the reduced range just to have a better all-round car.
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

                              Originally posted by elfturbomax
                              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Gats View Post
                                What is going on with BMW's styling department these days.
                                It's indicative of their #1 customer base by a huge margin


                                Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

                                The ones that can tow, tow fine but generally they are the wrong vehicle for towing. You don't tow boats with a BMW 3 series for example.
                                Why not? Every man and their dog used to tow a boat with a V6 commodore and a current model 3 series is basically that.
                                Last edited by TMM; 06-05-21, 01:43 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X