Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality is that if we were all driving electric cars and someone was trying to introduce petrol cars the same people would be saying how stupid it is, how it won’t work in Aus because you need petrol stations everywhere and the distances are huge, can’t fill up in a private garage or apartment block, how will farmers refuel equipment when they have to store fuel rather than charge off solar etc etc. Some people just like to live in the past.

Comment

Completely agree. I think for 99% of drivers the electric car would work 99% of the time. Our daily car will likely be electric next time around.

It's really the towing long distances into the countryside that's limited at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

Answered my own question this weekend: no problems going Canberra to Sydney whatsoever.

Awesome!

How'd you go with auto pilot on the highway? + recommend to change the display to energy/%.
        Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

how does the autopilot work for drink driving laws? you're not technically operating a vehicle?
          '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Youre in control i.e you turned the autopilot on. Something tells me that excuse isnt going to get you far
            Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

To understand how laws relating to autonomous vehicles the new laws coming in in the UK give a good real life example of how they will be introduced. The first rule they're bringing is is that lane keeping will be legal up to 37mph as long as the driver can take over with 10 seconds notice and if the driver can't/doesn't then the vehicle must be able to safely come to a stop with hazards on. Basically, you can use it to drive for you in a traffic jam on the motorway while you read the paper or whatever. Over time as the autonomous systems get better the speeds will increase and the circumstances broaden. We might be a little way away from your car being able to drive you home from the pub pissed but the first steps are now being taken.

https://www.traffictechnologytoday.c...k-in-2021.html

Comment

Originally posted by womblesti View Post
                Completely agree. I think for 99% of drivers the electric car would work 99% of the time. Our daily car will likely be electric next time around.

It's really the towing long distances into the countryside that's limited at the moment.
                Yeah and while there are charging facilities available on certain rural routes it makes the road trip very cookie cutter. The joy of a road trip is taking a random exit to hit up a small country town bakery or cafe for a stop when you decide it's time for a break. I really hope some rural councils can get onboard and maybe partially fund or even provide land for charging facilities within communities. Cafes/local businesses benefit from those visiting buying something to eat or a random nicknack etc. Sitting on the side of the freeway eating some shitty mc franchised food while the car charges doesn't interest me.

Last roadtrip we did the coast road is just depressing for most of it. Sure it's efficient but it's boring as batshit not to pass through towns and actually have a view of a river etc. Just kms of divided road surrounded by some trees. Came home via the inland route and it was infinitely times more enjoyable. Things to look at, roads that are enjoyable to drive and great food in rural towns that you drive through.
                If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                  Yeah and while there are charging facilities available on certain rural routes it makes the road trip very cookie cutter. The joy of a road trip is taking a random exit to hit up a small country town bakery or cafe for a stop when you decide it's time for a break. I really hope some rural councils can get onboard and maybe partially fund or even provide land for charging facilities within communities. Cafes/local businesses benefit from those visiting buying something to eat or a random nicknack etc. Sitting on the side of the freeway eating some shitty mc franchised food while the car charges doesn't interest me.

Last roadtrip we did the coast road is just depressing for most of it. Sure it's efficient but it's boring as batshit not to pass through towns and actually have a view of a river etc. Just kms of divided road surrounded by some trees. Came home via the inland route and it was infinitely times more enjoyable. Things to look at, roads that are enjoyable to drive and great food in rural towns that you drive through.
                  The Tesla superchargers are at great locations, they aren't at Servos typically (or at all?)

I've discovered a bunch of places purely because we put them on the road trip side trip list due to having a Tesla destination or supercharger. (mainly destination).

Get on plugshare.com and check out how many of these destination chargers already exist at out of the way places that are perfect for a side trip adventure.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

You're confusing electricity with petrol. The thing about electricity is those country cafes, restaurants, businesses, farmers can generate, store and dispense electricity themselves. They don't need a council to do it for them, they can do it themselves. Airbnb is the second largest provider of accommodation in the world, I expect we'll be seeing something very similar in the charging space.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

The Tesla superchargers are at great locations, they aren't at Servos typically (or at all?)
                      Not now but when the government does get off their arse their idea will likely be just to shove charging stations in at all the big rest stops on the highway or the old giant servo locations.
                      If in doubt power out

Comment

OK So did a Syd to Cbr trip yesterday and will to the return trip Thursday. Neutral Bay to Braddon starting with 95% charge, arrived with 30% charge.

Edit: PIcked a hotel with destination charger, car was back up to 90 % in the morning (set charge down to 90%)
                        Last edited by MZ21; 01-06-21, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post

You're confusing electricity with petrol. The thing about electricity is those country cafes, restaurants, businesses, farmers can generate, store and dispense electricity themselves. They don't need a council to do it for them, they can do it themselves. Airbnb is the second largest provider of accommodation in the world, I expect we'll be seeing something very similar in the charging space.
                          Big places with land yes, Country bakery or Cafe on the main strip in a rural town not so much they need the assistance of council in some shape or form as they don't own/control the parking.
                          If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

Awesome!

How'd you go with auto pilot on the highway? + recommend to change the display to energy/%.
                            I tried the autopilot but decided after a few km that I preferred to steer the car myself. It did a good job of it, albeit making more frequent corrections than I would have. I just found having nothing to do a bit boring.

Comment

Not now but when the government does get off their arse their idea will likely be just to shove charging stations in at all the big rest stops on the highway or the old giant servo locations.
                              In the past 2 years, we have had 6 service stations open up in the local area. Now one would think, with buying the land building a service station with pumps etc seems to be a lot of money for what 15 years of fuel being the primary source of locomotion?

Nah these cunts are buying the land and then banking on making money through coffee shops, or food outlets in the future while people charge their Electron Volt machines.

Comment

For the towing discussion a little while back:

https://insideevs.com/news/510556/te...wing-boat/amp/
                                Originally posted by Sicarius123
                                Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man :p

Comment

Working...
                                X