Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_geez View Post

Except you are moving the source of he emissions to only the power stations, rather than 10 million exhaust pipes.
    And the power stations will be transitioning to renewables, rather than coal.
    You need to look at the end goal…
    What are the ‘emissions’ of concern?
    Lightning is at my discretion - don't fuck with me

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
      Fuck. No one had considered that. Energy sources are becoming greener, some people charge batteries during the day from their solar etc. Even then, large scaled coal fired generation is likely more efficient than thousands and thousands of petrol/diesel cars on the road.

Did you just walk into the 21st century (also see grocery home delivery thread)?
      I don’t get your point, besides the insult?
      Lightning is at my discretion - don't fuck with me

Comment

Originally posted by JESUS CHRIST View Post

Hi there, honours mech eng/business mngt who has worked in coal and at the National measurement institute, with peers working at every point in chain from literal coal face to heaviest industry users like steel and aluminium smelters here.

Even a 100% coal fire steam turbine station powered electric car, with all the line loss, charge and discharge inefficiency produces significantly less CO2 and other emissions than conventional spark ignition or compression ignition engines cars, right now, even on the semi matured peat bog they call coal in Victoria

even running a modern genset as a backup charger is more efficient as they operate targeting peak thermal efficiency.
        Last edited by Slides; 21-06-21, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

And exisiting owners that paid stamp duty are exempt from 2.5c/KM tax when its introduced.

can do a lot of kms before 2027

ill probably grab on come
          september for the daily driver
          Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

And exisiting owners that paid stamp duty are exempt from 2.5c/KM tax when its introduced.
            Im very glad that they kept that clause in. I probably wont even still have the car by then but it's the principle / mabo / vibe etc.
            Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

If we take it as a given that car emissions bad, then even purely powered by coal the EV give off far fewer emissions than an equivalent ICE vehicle.

Any improvement is still an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
                $3,000 rebate and no stamp duty in NSW coming up
                https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...YyGcKmPnjFblLA

That would make an M3 SR+ about $62k driveaway...
                I didn't think you'd get both on an SR+ (it's about $500 too expensive) but could be mistaken.

Comment

My point is your statement about "increasing the burn load of coal" is misplaced. Yes some more coal may be burnt but vehicle emissions are zeroed for the vehicles in question and the energy sourced to power them is much more efficiently generated resulting in lower nett emissions.

That sort of idea is the sort talked by those protecting the coal industry etc. Hence my "insult". Sorry your feelings were hurt.
                  Last edited by Shonky; 22-06-21, 08:26 AM.

Comment

What are the ‘emissions’ of concern?
                    Tailpipe emissions vs emissions from a power plant.
                    Originally posted by Sicarius123
                    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man :p

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

I didn't think you'd get both on an SR+ (it's about $500 too expensive) but could be mistaken.
                      Tesla will drop the price right under the threshold, there's no way they're missing out on the sales. Easy way to do it too, just remove standard functions that people "really want" like spotify, bluetooth integration, drop driveaway price by $xxxx, then make them an in app upgrade for $xxx, done.

Comment

Aside from emissions (plainly obvious they'd be lower) wondering how the sums add up - are they (say, a Tesla with decent performance) really as 'maintenance free' as they're made out (ie brake pads and a quick check up every couple of years)?

The use case/cost of ownership may work out OK, particularly given how shit the solar feed in rates are these days (and an assumption they'll continue to lower over time) - I could charge it during the days that I work from home/weekend days. I get through a tank of fuel every 12-14 days at the moment ($80-ish).

What are people paying (real world) to run one of these per week/fortnight doing a few hundred kilometres?

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
                          What are people paying (real world) to run one of these per week/fortnight doing a few hundred kilometres?
                          0 to $6

Comment

It not uncommon to never change pads or rotors (brake fluid yes). Brakes aren't used very much due to high regen, so most times you find brake application is only when you've misjudged the regen stopping distance.

​​​​​​Tesla does have maintenance guide in the manual, brake fuold check every two years (replace only if required), ac cabin filter every two years, some other ac filter every six years. The rest is as an when required.

Comment

Also zero to 100 in 3.3sec is another reason I’d buy one. Jeez it felt good.
                              2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                              2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                              I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I'm contemplating one of these too as a daily, tossing it up as an option against the Mustang or SLK55. Have 20kW of solar at home.
                                Would want the LR variant though to get 0-100 in the 4's and AWD, is that covered by any of these NSW incentives coming in Sep?

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/t...hicle-strategy

"The NSW Government will remove stamp daty from EVs under $78,000 purchased from 1 September 2021"
                                What is that $78k calculated against? Pre-taxes, or post? I noticed the LR shows as $77900 on the Tesla AU website, if you don't option other colours etc.
                                Or would the LR fall over the threshold, due to LCT, rego costs, CTP etc etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X