Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh to clarify, when I said 4hrs for a full tank, I mean that's with the Tesla wall fast charger installed
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

3. Mine max out at 8.2kW, and the car can draw a maximum of about 2-2.2kW from a 10A powerpoint. So it probably makes sense for me to add a better powerpoint/home EV charger to take advantage of that extra solar power. Even on a winter's day, I will regularly see 5-6kW peak solar production, and I generally have enough production to charge the car between about 9am and 4pm. In summer it'll obviously be better with more daylight.
      I've got one of these https://evse.com.au/product/tesla-ge...mp-7-kw-3-pin/ for that purpose. 7kw charging (32 amp) on a single phase, but haven't had the port wired in just yet.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

I've got one of these https://evse.com.au/product/tesla-ge...mp-7-kw-3-pin/ for that purpose. 7kw charging (32 amp) on a single phase, but haven't had the port wired in just yet.
        I was looking at that, seems like an ideal solution without getting a dedicated EV charger installed. Have you had any quotes for the install?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

I was looking at that, seems like an ideal solution without getting a dedicated EV charger installed. Have you had any quotes for the install?
          Just the standard $250 quote that appears to be the minimum for anything/everything around here, assuming they can run it from the sub board.

Comment

These look interesting too.

http://fronius.com.au/en/solar-energ...tpilot-go-11-j

I have a Fronius inverter and smart meter, so in theory I think this lets you export your excess solar to your car, instead of getting SFA for it by sending it to the grid. If a cloud passes over, I think (hope?) it reduces or stops charging until there is solar excess again.

Also apparently there is some acceleration boost you can buy for $2k that takes the LR version down to 0-100 in 3.7-3.9s instead of mid 4's.

Comment

I think its much easier and cheaper to do more normal power points in more places rather than faster chargers in fewer places. Especially with more and more EV's on the road and in the future.
              Charging $ for the charging might be a pain in the arse for that scenario though. Would be easier to integrate it into the general parking fees for shopping centers.
              this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

This might be the go:
                https://evse.com.au/product/kwik-por...stralian-plug/

You can dial it down to 11kw for the Model 3.

I could then do a cheeky DIY install of a 32A 3 phase outlet in the carport, and hook this into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post

I can ask the guy at work how much his Model 3 dual motor was landed?
                  Sounds good, was more interested in how the gov stamp duty incentives in NSW will be applied, is it against the base cost of the car, or is it against the car's final price that includes delivery, CTP etc etc. Current advice seems to state it is against the driveaway price, not the base price

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post

This might be the go:
                    https://evse.com.au/product/kwik-por...stralian-plug/

You can dial it down to 11kw for the Model 3.

I could then do a cheeky DIY install of a 32A 3 phase outlet in the carport, and hook this into it.
                    They are definitely very good but they fail the speed : $$$ measurement for mine.

It's very cool that they are portable, but the extra 1k+ for 4kw faster speeds vs using the one that came with the vehicle makes it sub optimal.

People tend to get a bit hung up on charging speeds at home until they get one and stop caring because it's not like they are sitting there waiting for it to charge like a homeless cunt at a servo. Plug it in whenever you get home/work/whereever and like magic its always full.
                    Last edited by Dominic Perrottet; 22-06-21, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                      Charging $ for the charging might be a pain in the arse for that scenario though. Would be easier to integrate it into the general parking fees for shopping centers.
                      Theres a few different companies who are existing public charging network providers who manage all that for you.

Open the app, ask it to active charging port blah, accept, done.

Comment

Plug it in whenever you get home/work/whereever and like magic its always full.
                        Which is fine if you can but this is not a reality for everyone. Plenty of people don't have garages or charging facilities available at home and therefore do rely on public charging infrastructure or have to connect temporary setups which mean charging speed is important.
                        Last edited by Rona; 22-06-21, 05:37 PM.
                        If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                          Which is fine if you can but this is not a reality for everyone. Plenty of people don't have garages or charging facilities available at home and therefore do rely on public charging infrastructure or have to connect temporary setups which mean charging speed is important.
                          Go and do your grocery shopping twice at a week at a shopping centre with a 3 phase charger (up to 22kw) and it achieves the same result.

The 4 closest shopping centres to where I live all have them, most places wouldn't be too far away.
                          Last edited by Dominic Perrottet; 22-06-21, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Wrong. Only one shopping centre local to me has 2 chargers, they are only 7kw so will achieve fuck all in the 30-45 mins it takes to do groceries.
                            If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post

The bit I'm not currently sure about is whether the manufacture of these EV's makes more of a mess than driving non-EV's around. You probably remember the numbers that were thrown around a few years after the Prius came out, the environmental cost of digging-up the battery-bits & shipping them around the world made the manufacture of a Prius about the same as driving an old V8 for 30 years ... dunno if that has gotten any better, and haven't seen anything at all talking about it of late.
                              https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/...ng-assessments

Click image for larger version

Name:	TE-EV-emissions-graph.png
Views:	122
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	7263726
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                                Wrong. Only one shopping centre local to me has 2 chargers, they are only 7kw so will achieve fuck all in the 30-45 mins it takes to do groceries.
                                solution: don’t buy an EV then.
                                Originally posted by Jim
                                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                                What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X