Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rona View Post
    Wrong. Only one shopping centre local to me has 2 chargers, they are only 7kw so will achieve fuck all in the 30-45 mins it takes to do groceries.
    OK cool, i'll add living in an apartment with no public charging available and you refuse to use DC fast chargers to the list of reasons to not buy an EV right next to that they can't cross the simpson desert.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

OK cool, i'll add living in an apartment with no public charging available and you refuse to use DC fast chargers to the list of reasons to not buy an EV right next to that they can't cross the simpson desert.
      If you actually look at South West Sydney there is fuck all charging support outside people charging at home. Literally 1 charging point within 10 mins of where I live and as mentioned it's a 7kw charger. Within 20-25 mins at a shopping centre that I'm lucky to visit once a year there is a tesla destination charger which is all of 2 bays.

Not arguing for the sake of it, I've looked into it specifically as I need to replace my wifes daily and as it stands the infrastructure just isn't there to support the purchase. Reality is until we get a bigger house with a double garage and an actual driveway instead of the townhouse we are in an ev just isn't viable.
      Last edited by Rona; 23-06-21, 12:20 AM.
      If in doubt power out

Comment

Yeah these are the main concerns for me too. If I don't charge at home, then there's not much out near work to charge at, and only a small amount in Newcastle. I do 600km a week, ideally would work from home 1 day a week, specifically chosen as a sunny day where possible to maximize solar self consumption.

Comment

If you actually look at South West Sydney there is fuck all charging support outside people charging at home. Literally 1 charging point within 10 mins of where I live and as mentioned it's a 7kw charger. Within 20-25 mins at a shopping centre that I'm lucky to visit once a year there is a tesla destination charger which is all of 2 bays.

Not arguing for the sake of it, I've looked into it specifically as I need to replace my wifes daily and as it stands the infrastructure just isn't there to support the purchase. Reality is until we get a bigger house with a double garage and an actual driveway instead of the townhouse we are in an ev just isn't viable.
          yeah this is a bit of blocker for the mass adoption in Sydney atm, hopefully easily fixablle.
          www.markpakula.com
          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

And once again the thread returns to the conversation where it’s easy to transport, store and distribute a highly flammable liquid but installing a power point is technologically completely beyond us.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
              And once again the thread returns to the conversation where it’s easy to transport, store and distribute a highly flammable liquid but installing a power point is technologically completely beyond us.
              Well if you live in an apartment or townhouse with “basement” parking installing a power outlet after the fact is going to be next to impossible.

Renters who have a garage/driveway are also unlikely to be able to access high-speed charging or “just get an outlet installed”.

The place I currently rent for example has an extremely marginal electrical layout, so would need a proper new outlet from the panel. I doubt my landlords are/would pay given they refused to replace the line on the clothesline.
              ---
              Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

SW Sydney is completely hopeless for public EV charging - but also when I go to SW Sydney, I rarely see a single EV. The infrastructure will improve as people who live there buy them.

Realistically though people living in SW Sydney who can afford a $65k EV (or even a $45k one) are more likely to be living in a detached house or somewhere they can charge in their own garage than they are to be parking on the street somewhere.

Comment

And that's fine - if you own an electric car, or have plans to own an electric car, you should select a house/apartment with the ability to charge it. In the same way that if you own a horse, you're not going to be looking for inner-city apartments without a stable. If your current landlord won't allow it, let them know that's the reason you're not renewing your lease.
                  As adoption goes up property owners will realise they can't rent their property without somewhere to charge a car, just like they've realised it's difficult to rent a property without air conditioning, hot water, or a roof.
                  Fortunately, the cost and effort associated with installing a single 10a outlet that will meet the requirements of most inner-city drivers is very, very low.
                  Last edited by Grungle; 23-06-21, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Well if you live in an apartment or townhouse with “basement” parking installing a power outlet after the fact is going to be next to impossible.

Renters who have a garage/driveway are also unlikely to be able to access high-speed charging or “just get an outlet installed”.

The place I currently rent for example has an extremely marginal electrical layout, so would need a proper new outlet from the panel. I doubt my landlords are/would pay given they refused to replace the line on the clothesline.
                    This is kinda like saying that we don't have mobile phones because we didn't have cell towers in 1985. While it won't happen overnight we are moving towards a point where basically every car on the road will be electric and will need to both charge and discharge from a socket on a very regular basis and there will be a price attached to that. This regular charge will fund the capital investment the same way it does for your water, gas, electricity, phone, TV, petrol etc etc etc. We didn't have petrol stations before cars, runways before planes, power poles before power either, remarkably when we need something we build it. Magic.

Comment

Have seen a few of them personally done. It's not great or easy but its doable.

Others have just charged at public charging, easy and convenient.

Comment

I’d agree, and at some stage it will be a point of differentiation of property for tenants. What I don’t see is a ready acceptance $10K per unit cost (real figure that was quoted for a 5 storey appt block here in Canberra) to retrofit for basement charging.

So many people whether they be owners or tenants simply go “no EV yet” because charging is too hard.

Considering new build apprentice ya and townhouse complexes also are not including this at build time says it’s going to be a stumbling block for adoption.

I live at the same end of the ACT and Captain_Slow, and if I had an EV and wanted to charge it on a public charger he and I would occupy 100% of the charging points within about 30km
                        ---
                        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

SW Sydney is completely hopeless for public EV charging - but also when I go to SW Sydney, I rarely see a single EV. The infrastructure will improve as people who live there buy them.

Realistically though people living in SW Sydney who can afford a $65k EV (or even a $45k one) are more likely to be living in a detached house or somewhere they can charge in their own garage than they are to be parking on the street somewhere.
                          they are around you just need to be in the right part of town, i'll commute past the fancy pants McFuckwanker suburbs my area and usually see a tesla in traffic a couple times a week

but in saying that there is still ALOT of detached housing here even in the ghetto suburbs, so no reason to not have any uptake other than price

www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
                            Yeah these are the main concerns for me too. If I don't charge at home, then there's not much out near work to charge at, and only a small amount in Newcastle. I do 600km a week, ideally would work from home 1 day a week, specifically chosen as a sunny day where possible to maximize solar self consumption.
                            Not trying to convince you or anyone else to get one, but for the $16 a week in electricity that the 600kms (90 kwh) a week costs you i'd just be plugging it in when I got home and going back to forgetting about it / enjoying never going to a homeless stinkservo again.

Comment

I live at the same end of the ACT and Captain_Slow, and if I had an EV and wanted to charge it on a public charger he and I would occupy 100% of the charging points within about 30km
                              Really? Do you really live in NSW or in a National Park by any chance?

There's 6 just at the single location at Tesla Supercharger.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

Really? Do you really live in NSW or in a National Park by any chance?

There's 6 just at the single location at Tesla Supercharger.
                                He's not miles off being correct. From my place to the Tesla Supercharger is a 27km one way trip, and maybe a few km less for Aaron.

In the part of Canberra we both live in, there is one fast charger with a single CCS2 and single ChaDeMo plug, a Tesla destination charger, and a public Type 2 charger. That's it. Any other option is at least 20km away.

Comment

Working...
                                X