Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an aside, my nopics got in our EV this morning, started to back out, then stopped, got out and fucking lost it - yelling and swearing at herself because she had forgotten to plug it in the night before and didn't have enough charge to get to work this morning.
    Humiliatingly, she had to take our V8 twin turbo diesel Q7 to work, and I got to drive the EV for the school dropoff.

And THAT is what may still cause problems. Despite having it for 2 years, there is the occasional hiccup when there's a power failure, she forgets to plug it in etc - if you can't make it to a fast charging station you're waiting around until it charges at 10amps, or taking the ICE car. Probably still easier than hiking to a servo with a jerry can though...

To her credit, she hasn't run out of power on the side of the road yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle View Post
      As an aside, my nopics got in our EV this morning, started to back out, then stopped, got out and fucking lost it - yelling and swearing at herself because she had forgotten to plug it in the night before and didn't have enough charge to get to work this morning.
      Humiliatingly, she had to take our V8 twin turbo diesel Q7 to work, and I got to drive the EV for the school dropoff.

And THAT is what may still cause problems. Despite having it for 2 years, there is the occasional hiccup when there's a power failure, she forgets to plug it in etc - if you can't make it to a fast charging station you're waiting around until it charges at 10amps, or taking the ICE car. Probably still easier than hiking to a servo with a jerry can though...
      Surely that's forgetting to plug it in multiple nights in a row? A week even? She's not driving 300km round trip to work right?

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle View Post

To her credit, she hasn't run out of power on the side of the road yet.
        LOL, I've had this when I've forgotten to fill up the ICE car and drive at 5km/h to the nearest station hoping I don't run out. Get there and fill up 1-2 litres over tank capacity. Never ran out though, but bloody close I suspect.
        When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
          Surely that's forgetting to plug it in multiple nights in a row? A week even? She's not driving 300km round trip to work right?
          Nah, we have a povo LEAF, so only 120km range. and she burnt through that yesterday going to work, kids to soccer training, going to the shops etc and it probably only started out at 80%.
          But yeah, totally her fault.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

Not trying to convince you or anyone else to get one, but for the $16 a week in electricity that the 600kms (90 kwh) a week costs you i'd just be plugging it in when I got home and going back to forgetting about it / enjoying never going to a homeless stinkservo again.

This is true I'd likely just work from home on Wednesdays or something and just charge it twice a week via solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
              These look interesting too.

Also apparently there is some acceleration boost you can buy for $2k that takes the LR version down to 0-100 in 3.7-3.9s instead of mid 4's.

it’s $3000

and it takes 0.5 sec off the 0-100km/h time

3.9 is a stretch….

mine was 4.5-4.6 stock on the draggy and it did a 3.95 once and 4.0

but I’ve only given it 3 runs

and haven’t bothered since

all that being said it’s still held back, and capable of much more, however Performance owners wouldn’t be happy

that said there’s literally nothing in it other than launch with the LR pulling on the P in the midrange and up top, don’t know why

either way I drive in chill like an old man

Comment

Audi to produce final ICE model by 2025, new cars to be EV only one year later

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...FU4KUsbpF5NmOg

The exact timing of the combustion engine's demise at Audi, it says, will ultimately be decided by its customers and varying legislation around the world.

The company says however, it expects to see continued demand in China beyond 2033, which is why there could be a supply of vehicles there with combustion engines manufactured locally.
                By 2025, the brand aims to have more than 20 e-models in its line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post

it’s $3000

and it takes 0.5 sec off the 0-100km/h time

3.9 is a stretch….

mine was 4.5-4.6 stock on the draggy and it did a 3.95 once and 4.0

but I’ve only given it 3 runs

and haven’t bothered since

all that being said it’s still held back, and capable of much more, however Performance owners wouldn’t be happy

that said there’s literally nothing in it other than launch with the LR pulling on the P in the midrange and up top, don’t know why

either way I drive in chill like an old man
                  Pretty sure the LR and P drivelines are identical, other than P having Panasonic cells. Main difference is the bigger brakes and track mode.

Comment

Different rear motor

LR has the 990

some had the 980

all The made in China have LR the 990

Also it has an Lg battery

not the NMC battery, but so does the made in China Performance

that said the tech told me Tesla use Panasonic CATL and LG and other than a tear down even he couldn’t tell me what cells it actually has, but he said it’s LG

either way there’s more left on the table especially at launch, top end is good enough now, especially compared to sustained performance VS the older model S, even though the P90D was much more powerful and quicker the 3 is excellent, just needs a better launch
                    Last edited by MexicanBatman; 23-06-21, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falc&Send View Post
                      Audi to produce final ICE model by 2025, new cars to be EV only one year later

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...FU4KUsbpF5NmOg
                      Good. They can build all the EV shit they want.

All the cars I want to own have already been built and I can restore them to my hearts content. 1990 to about 2005 and the 60s.

Comment

May as well put this here:
                        If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

electric would kill it at pikes peak, no loss of hp due to the thinner air up the top.

Comment

In a slightly related note, the new c300e looks pretty decent.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/876081/...-c300e-review/

$84k plug in hybrid, 245kW and 0-100 in 5.4 seconds for claimed fuel economy of 2.1L/100km (but really 4.1L/100km).

Could be a decent family truckster.

Comment

Originally posted by brasher View Post
                              electric would kill it at pikes peak, no loss of hp due to the thinner air up the top.
                              an electric car took the outright record in 2018...
                              This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                                In a slightly related note, the new c300e looks pretty decent.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/876081/...-c300e-review/

$84k plug in hybrid, 245kW and 0-100 in 5.4 seconds for claimed fuel economy of 2.1L/100km (but really 4.1L/100km).

Could be a decent family truckster.
                                So it sounds like it does 2.1l/100km because it has 50km of electric-only range and presumably uses 4.1 the rest of the time - which still isn't too bad. OTOH Model 3 Long Range is about that price too, so you'd have to really want a Mercedes or really want a backup petrol engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X