Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brasher View Post
    electric would kill it at pikes peak, no loss of hp due to the thinner air up the top.
    Came 10th outright and 1st in exhibition class. AFAIK it’s just got suspension, brakes and tyres.
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

So it sounds like it does 2.1l/100km because it has 50km of electric-only range and presumably uses 4.1 the rest of the time - which still isn't too bad. OTOH Model 3 Long Range is about that price too, so you'd have to really want a Mercedes or really want a backup petrol engine.
      It would be ideal if you already had a Tesla and needed a second family car. Would be great for your usual commute running electric only, and then you could do interstate road trips in it as well.

Reasonable value as a performance option too.

Comment

I used to think PHEVs were an awesome idea ever since seeing the Chevy/Holden Volt. 50-70 KM pure EV range, Petrol engine when required for longer trips. Would be great for commuting to work, basically paying zero for petrol, then for longer trips, the range wouldn't be an issue. But you have two of everything, and it's a compromise. Shit electric range, shit petrol engine performance (zero go fasts), servicing and maintenance of a petrol engine, complexity etc etc.

I pure EV one out for me in the end, because it was a clean-sheet design with performance to match. Now with charging dotted all over major routes range is a non-issue as well, but I need to some not serviced by the network, I'll just take a petrol car.

Comment

As soon as you put a ICE into an EV design you get rid of half the benefits of having an EV in the first place. I cynically think they exist purely to placate people who want an EV but cant get over their range anxiety
          Originally posted by Jim
          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Hybrids (plug in or otherwise) are retarded, you get all the bad parts of both ICE and EV in the same package with none of the benefits.

Just came back from a big road trip, 740kms in 8 hours, Tesla Model 3 SR+. Standard speed limit +9%. Auto pilot the whole way, charged at 125kw at each of the 3x Tesla Superchargers I hit on the way. Charged at a bunch of NRMA, Chargefox chargers whilst away too.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post
              Hybrids (plug in or otherwise) are retarded, you get all the bad parts of both ICE and EV in the same package with none of the benefits.
              I’m sure taxi drivers in their Camrys would disagree. Especially when they are doing I don’t know, 1000kms a day or more.
              When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Originally posted by biteme View Post

I’m sure taxi drivers in their Camrys would disagree. Especially when they are doing I don’t know, 1000kms a day or more.
                Wait, i'm not sure, are you putting this forward as evidence to support the claim or dispute it?

Comment

Wait, i'm not sure, are you putting this forward as evidence to support the claim or dispute it?
                  Dispute...

However my assumption may be wrong.

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/u/publ...rification.pdf

The analysis indicates that 95.7% of taxi travel days can be successfully completed by a 250-mile-range electric vehicle assuming access to overnight and public charging infrastructure. However, when no overnight access is available to fleet vehicles, only 39.9% of taxi travel days are possible with 250-mile range electric vehicles.

You'd assume most would have overnight charging Australia, but hybrid means that the 4% of travel days can always be completed.
                  When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

There is a few Model 3s being used for Uber (uber luxury?) style taxi services with the drivers reporting much reduced running costs. Highest km one that I saw was 140k.

Taxi drivers and their minions are dopes, they do dumb shit all the time and occasionally luck into something that works which they wont change forever because no one else has changed even if there is better/cheaper.

I reckon they will be onto the Hyundai EVs at some point.

Comment

I agree hybrids are at best a temporary solution.

I have no idea why Toyota seems to be hanging their hat completely on the hybrid option. There there is allegedly a Lexus system in development with 300kW electric only, it'll be interesting to see if it eventuates.

Comment

Toyota has been pushing hydrogen since forever, I think that's why they're not going all in with proper EVs. I reckon they'll have to concede soon though.
                        Norbie!

Comment

It's kind of odd how Japan is so late to the EV game generally, or has thrown away early advantages.

Would have been a no brainer for Toyota to leverage its hybrid lead into full EV, or for Nissan to leverage its early EV lead with the Leaf into a range of products (like a Leaf small SUV). Instead we basically got the same Leaf for a decade (admittedly with battery upgrades) and then finally the Ariya is on the way. Could also just be that Nissan was broke and/or too busy trying to sell huge volumes of shit products in the US under Ghosn.

Comment

^ They know that their current business model isn't going to create a competitive EV that they can make profit on so they are waiting until they can.

The Euros can leverage their euroness and will always have purchasers even if their vehicles are slower, have less range and are far more expensive than the market leaders.

Hyundai / KIA are backing themselves on being able to get there eventually whilst losing money along the way and are only selling in small numbers because of it.

That doesn't leave much space for Toyota and co.

Last edited by Dominic Perrottet; 01-07-21, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hyundai / KIA are backing themselves on being able to get there eventually whilst losing money along the way and are only selling in small numbers because of it.
                              I hope hyundai sell a few IONIQ5's as i do enjoy a good retro boner now and then

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-Hyundai-Ioniq-5-SUV-grey-1001x565-1_0.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	7266810
                              www.holditflat.com

Comment

jetcharge install these chargefox units in private/shared spaces for punters to charge from and then they get billed via the app.

Comment

Working...
                                X