Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Japanese govt has committed to a huge hydrogen infrastructure rollout and no doubt part of that was getting the auto manufacturers on side with it, hence their reluctance to commit to BEVs
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

I thought solar produced hydrogen was the cleanest fuel of them all?
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

I'd be willing to bet Japan doesnt have the physical space to make hydrogen from solar in significant quantities
        Originally posted by Jim
        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Our bloody Model 3 has ruined me for other cars now.

I get in any of our other cars and they feel like antiques. I get the shits about having to go to servos to refuel them. Both the Redline and 86 run rich on startup to warm cats etc, and the smell now bothers me. I read car magazines and skim read or skip articles now because it all seems like outdated tech.

I still love driving the others, but I’ll have a real quandary on my hands in replacing the 86 in a few years if I’m weighing up one last manual petrol sports car or an electric one...

Comment

Question to batman or the others with dual motors, one thing I love about the SR+/Lifepo4 version is that it has the same amount of acceleration all the way down to 5% (and probably beyond that). How much do you really lose with each 10% block in the LR/P?

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

I think mine feels like a fast 4wd (sti/evo) under 20% anything over 30% is bullshit fast.

I don't drop charge down below 30% most of the so never really see a loss of acceleration.

Comment

Bjorn has a graph

although The 2021 P was fucked and slow as, it’s since had an update and I believe it’s much better and like the older car

i could t really say, from memory it was mid 4’s at around 20% with the boost

i hardly go below 40-50% and I drive in chill

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

I get in any of our other cars and they feel like antiques. I get the shits about having to go to servos to refuel them. Both the Redline and 86 run rich on startup to warm cats etc, and the smell now bothers me. I read car magazines and skim read or skip articles now because it all seems like outdated tech.

I still love driving the others, but I’ll have a real quandary on my hands in replacing the 86 in a few years if I’m weighing up one last manual petrol sports car or an electric one...
                  This is pretty much what I thought when I first saw a Model S

I was at the drags with two drag racers. Both hated it, not enough V8 noise. My argument is that you drive the electric car everyday and the old petrol V8 is your weekend car to have fun in
                  "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

I get in any of our other cars and they feel like antiques.
                    It’s a commodore and gt86 they are antiques or to put another way pretty basic compared to nicer specced modern car. Though I might be missing your point.
                    When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

This whole thread has me thinking about an EV for the daughters first car. So we are off to look at an MG ZS today. Won’t buy until Sept to get the $3k incentive from NSW government. We were targeting Hyundai i30 elite, or Kia Cerato sport, but we can get the MG for about $5k more. Seems like it might be a winner.
                      Last edited by biteme; 05-07-21, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by biteme View Post
                        This whole thread has me thinking about an EV for the diabetes first car. So we are off to look at an MG ZS today. Won’t buy until Sept to get the $3k incentive from NSW government. We were targeting Hyundai i30 elite, or Kia Cerato sport, but we can get the MG for about $5k more. Seems like it might be a winner.
                        We test drive the MG, i30 and Cerato GT.

The MG drove fine but the interior was already ratting (parcel shelf especially), and the overall build quality wasn’t great and you’d need every day of the 7 year warranty to keep fixing it. Performance was fine as well. Noise was fine with only the electric engine whine. I found it interesting that it’s actually noisier than my M550i in the engine department when I’m in comfort mode,

The i30 was the most comfortable, pretty quiet, performance was adequate with decent pickup off the line from the NA engine. The interior was miles better than the MG.

The Cerato was the noisiest of the bunch from the engine by a fair margin with intake noise etc. I think they might call it sporty but it was unpleasant to me. The engine was laggy and the DCT was a bit shit and was not fun even on boost with some torque steer. The ride was harsh as well. The interior was equal to the i30.

So I think the i30 is the winner. It’s the cheapest by about $3k compared to the Cerato, and ~$7-10k less than the MG even with rebates coming in September (they have bumped the price $1k already).
                        Last edited by biteme; 10-07-21, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I have been looking at the Model 3 SR+ as my next car before the end of the year, noticed today the price has dropped to $59990 (Qld)! Might end up with one sooner than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                            Toyota has been pushing hydrogen since forever, I think that's why they're not going all in with proper EVs. I reckon they'll have to concede soon though.
                            Switching to a rechargable EV would be pretty simple wouldn't it? Pull out whatever the H2 is stored in & the fuel-cell, replace with the same batteries from a 3rd-party supplier that everyone else is using?
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Sort of want.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/964668/new-renault-5-could-become-australias-cheapest-electric-car-cmf-bev-electric-platform-to-cut-prices-by-a-third/

Though there's also going to be an alleged Alpine version with 160kW. Even better.

Concept drawings only at this stage, unfortunately!

Comment

That's getting there. Keen to see details of the Alpine EV coupe too.

Comment

Working...
                                X