Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nopix seems to be surprisingly OK with me spending the dosh in principle, just gotta wait for our council DA to go through tomorrow night so we can ramp up our home business, and a successful vet check of our horse for sale on Wednesday.
    Can't decide between white or grey on the LR. Surprisingly the white seems to be growing on me more. Just wish they had silver.

Looking into chargers now, we have 3 phase on the farm, was looking at putting in a 32A 3 phase socket into the carport. However I noticed these pigtails for the included charger only appear to draw from one phase? Is that a limitation of the included charger, or something else? Just wondering how I get the full 11kW from the 3 phase socket? ie 16A per phase. 7.2kW is not too bad, but would be nice to have the load balanced across phases.

https://evchargers.com.au/product/va...onnector-gen2/
    https://www.evseadapters.com/product...r-tesla-gen-2/

Comment

Hmm appears that the single phase limitation is the UMC itself. Still, that gets me 50km range per hour @7kw, 20% to 80% in 6 hours, and also means I'm unlikely to draw from the grid at all if charging during a summer day (20kW solar, 10kW export limited due to Origin).
      If I want 11 or 22kW I'll need to install a dedicated 3 phase charger like Zappi etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
        Hmm appears that the single phase limitation is the UMC itself. Still, that gets me 50km range per hour @7kw, 20% to 80% in 6 hours, and also means I'm unlikely to draw from the grid at all if charging during a summer day (20kW solar, 10kW export limited due to Origin).
        If I want 11 or 22kW I'll need to install a dedicated 3 phase charger like Zappi etc.
        Is your 10kw Solar on a single phase? Probably better off with a single phase charger in that instance.
        Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post
          Not concerned about other manufacturers, it sounds fanboyish but they are a long way behind. A full model cycle at least.
          From a purely sales point-of-view, most of them are better than Tesla at doing the same sort of stuff that makes people choose to buy a $35k Golf over a $25k Corolla.
          I know that doesn't have a bearing on what is attracting you to Tesla, but I do think it can affect resale.
          Having said that, I'm fully aware that all resale-related predictions are just crystal ball gazing, and that even if you'd told me we were going to enjoy ourselves a Worldwide COVID Event I'd have predicted used car values above ~$5k going down ...
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
            From a purely sales point-of-view, most of them are better than Tesla at doing the same sort of stuff that makes people choose to buy a $35k Golf over a $25k Corolla.
            I know that doesn't have a bearing on what is attracting you to Tesla, but I do think it can affect resale.
            Having said that, I'm fully aware that all resale-related predictions are just crystal ball gazing, and that even if you'd told me we were going to enjoy ourselves a Worldwide COVID Event I'd have predicted used car values above ~$5k going down ...
            If you are talking $$, I'd say they are at least 2x model cycles from a competitive price.

Comment

If you are talking $$, I'd say they are at least 2x model cycles from a competitive price.
              Well if a 2022 R5 is going to be $33k, that has to nibble into Tesla's sales & demand & hence resale? Alternately if Tesla keeps reducing the price, that's also a resale thing.
              I can't see all new cheaper Teslas being out that soon, how old is the Model S?
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Well if a 2022 R5 is going to be $33k, that has to nibble into Tesla's sales & demand & hence resale? Alternately if Tesla keeps reducing the price, that's also a resale thing.
                I can't see all new cheaper Teslas being out that soon, how old is the Model S?
                I'd seriously look at the 3 if it was cheaper, but I can't justify $60k for the SR+ vs Hyundai i30 elite for about $32k. I don't care about the performance and the range is more than we need. I don't know if the performance adds to cost, but does anyone buying an SR+ really want a mid 5s 0-100km/h car? I expect they just want the range. The i30 will cost more to run, but even after 10 years I don't think the running costs will be close to the price gap.

I think perhaps I'm not the early adopter target especially as its the 3rd car for an L plater.
                Last edited by biteme; 12-07-21, 04:21 PM.
                When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Well if a 2022 R5 is going to be $33k,
                  Things that aren't to happen.

Comment

Things that aren't to happen.
                    Fuckwit-me memory-pegged the wrong years; the 2022 from that article was some awful $35k CCP-Mobile, the $33k R5 isn't until 2024.

Comment

Are they though? Tesla doesnt spend a cent on advertising and never has sales yet it cant make Model 3s fast enough to keep up with demand. I would think most other manufacturers would be envious of that position
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                        Are they though? Tesla doesnt spend a cent on advertising and never has sales yet it cant make Model 3s fast enough to keep up with demand. I would think most other manufacturers would be envious of that position
                        That's because they're electric, and is despite apparent build quality like panel-gaps & interior presentation/feel.
                        So if something comes along that is also electric (ie. the thing that sells Tesla) but has the appearance of higher quality & doesn't have all those internet rumours about not being able to onsell options you pay for etc ... ?

Comment

Latest EV sales figures out of Europe show Tesla is very quickly going from sector leader to being left behind.
                          https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=587774a66f4c That shows how quickly Tesla could be left behind by the normal manufacturers once they get into gear. Tesla held the lead in Norway for some time, is now 4th on the list similar picture is several european countres where Tesla previously held the lead

Comment

Thats because Tesla isnt in the cut-price volume selling part of the market. Last time i checked in the UK there were about a dozen EVs for sale under the price of the cheapest Tesla, (and theyre all models that have neither the range nor the performance of a Model 3)
                            Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Not concerned about other manufacturers, it sounds fanboyish but they are a long way behind. A full model cycle at least.
                              Mazda MX30 just came out, it is the same price as SR+, but has 107kw and 200km range, and the home charger is $3000. That's not even in the same ballpark
                              Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

Mazda MX30 just came out, it is the same price as SR+, but has 107kw and 200km range, and the home charger is $3000. That's not even in the same ballpark
                                And it needs regular servicing.... aids.

Comment

Working...
                                X