Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen the back seat on the mx30? It’s not made for humans.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

The polestar looks good tho
      Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
      my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Polestar will be $$$ atleast in decent spec. Also going to be a fairly old car by the time it lands here. There is talk of an all electric XC90 coming in 2022 as well.

Keen to see what Volvo does with with corporate/fleet sales to push them, could get $10-20K off an XC60 depending on the spec when I bought mine in 2019.
        If in doubt power out

Comment

They're talking no discounts of any sort on the $83k electric XC40.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
            They're talking no discounts of any sort on the $83k electric XC40.
            Not even on the corporate program? I could have got a XC60 T8R for $85k driveaway when retail was over $100k. Bought a D5R for $74k when retail was $86k.
            If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
              Thats because Tesla isnt in the cut-price volume selling part of the market. Last time i checked in the UK there were about a dozen EVs for sale under the price of the cheapest Tesla, (and theyre all models that have neither the range nor the performance of a Model 3)
              Do you know what Tesla is losing sales to in some countries? E-Tron, Merc EQC, and Polestar 2 individually are outselling the whole Tesla range in several countries. None of those would undercut the cheapest Tesla they are all more expensive.

As for VW I can't imagine there is much in their EV range that is significantly cheaper than an entry level Model 3.

Think of it this way lots of people buy a $60k Audi A4 with a 1.4L engine or 5-7 seat SUV rather than a Golf GTI or I30N. They care about shit other than 0-100 times and if that's what you care about well than a Tesla kinda loses its main advantage.

​​​​

​​​​

Comment

The article you posted doesn’t distinguish between market segments, it just says “Tesla is losing EV market share”.

At this point I’ll correct myself

https://ev-database.uk/#sort:path~ty...ing:number=all

52 EV models priced less than the cheapest Model 3. And the cheapest VW is some 13000 pounds cheaper than a Model 3.

It’s pretty obvious Tesla was never going to keep it’s early market share when other manufacturers come to market with cheaper EVs.
                Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 12-07-21, 08:30 PM.
                Originally posted by Jim
                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Wife isn’t keen for a sedan, seems there’s a Volvo XC40 recharge that looks pretty cool.
                  will see if any test drives available.
                  2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                  2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                  I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                    The article you posted doesn’t distinguish between market segments, it just says “Tesla is losing EV market share”.

At this point I’ll correct myself

https://ev-database.uk/#sort:path~ty...ing:number=all

52 EV models priced less than the cheapest Model 3.

You’re on crack if you don’t think that’s the main reason why.
                    Except they're not just behind in sales compared to cheaper cars but also cars at roughly the same or higher price as well in some countries, though month to month variation sees the market leaders swing around quite a bit probably due to availability.

The ID4, E-Tron, EQC, and Mach-e are probably the Model 3's biggest competitors at a similar price point and have outsold the model 3 some months. So in Norway April was ID4, May was Mach-e, and June was back to Tesla as the new release sales settled off the other two, but they'll pick up again once stock gets flowing.

Or we could look at Sweden. The Swedes really don't like Tesla's apparently. https://thedriven.io/2021/05/07/swed...ev-incentives/

Also I'll restate my comment from before, when you don't care about 0-100 times there are plenty of options on the table with considerable appeal and not just the cheap ones.
                    Last edited by Luke352; 12-07-21, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile Tesla is having record quarters for shipped cars. These aren't cars made they're cars sold, Tesla doesn't carry inventory (only inventory is cancelled orders).

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
                        Wife isn’t keen for a sedan, seems there’s a Volvo XC40 recharge that looks pretty cool.
                        will see if any test drives available.
                        $83k drive-away single-spec (no options) pricing only announced today AFAIK, doubt there are any in the country to test-drive yet.
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post
                          Tesla doesn't carry inventory (only inventory is cancelled orders).
                          Since when, they literally just bought a shitload into Australia sitting in storage waiting for buyers. They'll get sold quick enough but they are carrying inventory.

Same in the US I saw some articles recently which spoke of large stockpiles Tesla was holding.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

Since when, they literally just bought a shitload into Australia sitting in storage waiting for buyers. They'll get sold quick enough but they are carrying inventory.

Same in the US I saw some articles recently which spoke of large stockpiles Tesla was holding.
                            Those "shitloads" that are on the dock I'm guessing will be delivered from September 1. Have a guess why.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

Those "shitloads" that are on the dock I'm guessing will be delivered from September 1. Have a guess why.
                              You realise those Sept 1 discounts only apply to NSW. So all the cars sitting on docks around Aus are SR+ or LR and only due for delivery in NSW post Sept 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

They aren't waiting for buyers, they are waiting for pre delivery/delivery.

If you order one today you might get it within a month..

The China factory has been shipping bulk out but in most countries the wait is still longer.

It's the reason why even though theres "heaps" of them around, if you want one right now the only option is demo (rare) or second hand at new or near new prices.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/use...?sort=%7ePrice

Last edited by Dominic Perrottet; 13-07-21, 08:48 AM.
                                Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Working...
                                X