Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question, but are you trying to inflate it while on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post

All this rain we've had has played havoc with the the roads creating potholes everywhere. A couple of weeks ago we ended up with 9 cars in our holding yard, all with flat tyres. All except an Audi Q5 had either runcraps or normal tyres and a can of goop which is useless when you've got a massive split in the sidewall. The Q5's collapseable spare tyre failed to inflate correctly and blew the sidewall, the supplied compressor is a joke and struggles to inflate the tyre. We use the trucks' air supply and it still takes 10-15 minutes to inflate even with a system pressure of 100psi.
      Inflation time aside, damn cool idea, first I'd heard of this:

Comment

Hyundai Ioniq 5 seems a good thing. Due out in Aus soon
        $100k AUD fully loaded seems less of a good thing. $80k maybe... Tesla still has the charging infrastructure.
        Has the option of a solar panel roof (replaces sunroof) ala old Audi A8. This time the panels charge the battery instead of powering ventilation fans.
        https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...h-review/44441

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

Inflation time aside, damn cool idea, first I'd heard of this:
          its a great idea, however in some cars where does the 335/30/20 fucker go for example, sure as shit not where the bicycle tyre came from, and after repair can you shrink it back down, or do you need to purchase a new assembly?

Comment

Theyre shit things and weigh a ton, take decades to inflate with the factory pump

Marginal savings over a traditional space-saver
            Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

In the video, it looks like this can be inflated and deflated no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post

its a great idea, however in some cars where does the 335/30/20 fucker go for example, sure as shit not where the bicycle tyre came from, and after repair can you shrink it back down, or do you need to purchase a new assembly?
                Can't answer where the flat goes since the only cars I've dealt with it have been crossovers, Porsche sports car owners prefer their cars head to the dealer on a tilt tray rather than deal with that thing.
                And you can deflate them after use, nfi how though but I suspect there must be a trick because I've come across a couple that simply couldn't be reinflated, one popped of the bead with scares the absolute shit out of you when you've got 100psi line pressure!

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post
                  In the video, it looks like this can be inflated and deflated no problem.
                  The nopix has a Q5 with exactly the setup as in the video. Ive used it and trust me, id rather have a proper space saver
                  Originally posted by Jim
                  I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                  What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

The old Cayenne had that setup. It was fucked. Maybe it was because it was old, but took hours of fucking around to get it to seal enough to inflate. The one time I needed it it wouldn't work at all.
                    Got another one from a newer model at the wreckers- No better.

Comment

I used one on my Q7 a few weeks ago - blew the rear tyre towing a camper trailer (hadn't got around to organising a full-sized spare).
                      It was a pain switching things around to put the spare on the front, but it inflated fine, (with the standard compressor), I drove about 200km on it (60 or so towing the camper trailer), and when it was time to remove it, it came with a valve removal tool and it deflated and packed back down without a problem.
                      It's 12 years old, and had never been used before.

I'm still on the lookout for a proper spare though.

Comment

Video on YouTube of a plaid running a 9.17 and mentions it ran a 9.14, with seats removed

also apparently there’s more on the table as it’s limited below 70mph from receiving full power

my model 3 now seems really really limp, time for a power bump please!

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                          Hyundai Ioniq 5 seems a good thing. Due out in Aus soon
                          $100k AUD fully loaded seems less of a good thing. $80k maybe... Tesla still has the charging infrastructure.
                          Has the option of a solar panel roof (replaces sunroof) ala old Audi A8. This time the panels charge the battery instead of powering ventilation fans.
                          https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...h-review/44441
                          The solar roof will be for the initial batch, rest will go normal roof
                          Hyundai battery tech is currently the bees knees so should be better than Tesla battery tech kg for kg/ km for km
                          IMHO - It's $100k, the nearest ICE model in their range is the Santa Fe which is $60k with equivalent spec. $40k buys a LOT of petrol

But agreed, the Lanica Delta Intergrale look about it is tits
                          "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Wonder if they could include a supercapacitor in their battery pack to assist with that initial power surge required from the battery. Or is the limitation in the motor/inverter side of things...

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

The solar roof will be for the initial batch, rest will go normal roof
                              Hyundai battery tech is currently the bees knees so should be better than Tesla battery tech kg for kg/ km for km
                              They are?
                              https://www.caradvice.com.au/928558/...-to-fire-risk/

Comment

I assume they use an axial flux synchronous motor. They pull maximum current until the back EMF limits it as rotor speed increases, so limitation could be batteries, wiring, the attachment lugs or the IGBT switchgear for the VFD. I think I read that they changed to Inconel lugs to increase current carrying capacity.
                                Originally posted by ahabthearab
                                If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Working...
                                X