Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    got new wheels, on my pretend P Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1731.jpeg Views:	36 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	7276593
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	7276673

235 on 9 inch wheel - stretched sidewall and very exposed and heavy wheel , i replaced them with 18 x8.5 235/45 PS4s.
    Last edited by Sumodog; 30-07-21, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah I’m running 255 PS4’s chunky enough to have a bit of rim protection too

I have the brand new 235’s for sale if any one wants them

They are a bit heavier than the 19’s not extreme though

however, quality aftermarket wheels would be way lighter

Comment

Originally posted by Sumodog View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	7276673

235 on 9 inch wheel - stretched sidewall and very exposed and heavy wheel , i replaced them with 18 x8.5 235/45 PS4s.
        You sell them?

maybe Glenn is a buyer at a Pf discount

and to answer him

i got raped!

paid over $4k

however didn’t bother me as I was about to click buy on the Tsportline copies for $3300 and they are heavier and would take forever to arrive

and no shit the ride is better for me than it was on the 19’s

they we’re on 255/40 PS4 tyres

however it’s noticeably noisier now

but it could be my imagination but the wider track slightly more weight too has more leverage on the suspension and it’s taken a tiny edge off the eibachs harshness on small sharp bumps

so overall I’m very happy

So far I’m 20wh /km worse off, but let’s see what happens over the next few weeks, I’ve been using the heater non stop 21° and heated seats and wheel too

Comment

I've decided to just install the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger in my garage and be done with it, for a couple of reasons:

1. The standard 10A mobile charger is fine most of the time, but in trying to run the car from excess solar generation as much as possible, days where it isn't sunny have exposed the limitations of that approach;
          2. I'm a little concerned about running 2.4kW for hours on end through the standard wiring in my garage. I've been using a power point which I'm sure is just branched off the regular light circuit, which was meant to be for a powered roller door, and I'd wager that the builder in 1993 didn't use anything more than the simplest and cheapest wiring option. There must be a reason appliances like ovens and air conditioners which draw big power all the time are on their own circuits; and
          3. I was very keen on the 32A adapter tail for the mobile charger, but getting an electrician to even be interested in quoting that job is proving to be a PITA. Nobody wants to do it.

Given all that, and the probability that in the coming years we'll own more than one EV anyway, it seemed to make sense to upgrade to a more permanent solution that can charge faster on sunny days etc. The return on investment probably isn't great compared to just using fast chargers if I really need to, but I've convinced myself now and nothing you say will stop me

Gen 3 wall charger should get better over time too as it's wifi and able to talk to other Tesla products.

Comment

If I ever get a Tesla, the plan was to put in a 32A 3 phase outlet in the shed, with a Fronius Wattpilot alongside. This adjusts the charge current to follow the solar output, so you don't pull from the grid.

Comment

^^ Why? When single-phase will do 32A. If you don't already have 3 phase it's not worth the price of getting it installed, unless you want it for other stuff like lathe, hoist etc.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/...wall-connector
              Last edited by MZ21; 03-08-21, 05:10 PM.

Comment

3 phase FTW, if the supplier already ran all 3 live wires into your box then it's a no brainer to get the meter swapped out and a new breaker box etc.

You typically have to run a dedicated circuit anyway for the 32 amp single phase.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                  I've decided to just install the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger in my garage and be done with it, for a couple of reasons:

2. I'm a little concerned about running 2.4kW for hours on end through the standard wiring in my garage. I've been using a power point which I'm sure is just branched off the regular light circuit, which was meant to be for a powered roller door, and I'd wager that the builder in 1993 didn't use anything more than the simplest and cheapest wiring option. There must be a reason appliances like ovens and air conditioners which draw big power all the time are on their own circuits; and
                  3. I was very keen on the 32A adapter tail for the mobile charger, but getting an electrician to even be interested in quoting that job is proving to be a PITA. Nobody wants to do it.
                  Agreed on #3, had the same issue here, which is why im still running the 15 amp adaptor through an amphibian. It only pulls 12 amps in reality though so im not too fussed.

In the new place i'll probably do the same and get the wall charger on 3 phase and be done with it.

Comment

1. The standard 10A mobile charger is fine most of the time, but in trying to run the car from excess solar generation as much as possible, days where it isn't sunny have exposed the limitations of that approach;

Given all that, and the probability that in the coming years we'll own more than one EV anyway, it seemed to make sense to upgrade to a more permanent solution that can charge faster on sunny days etc. The return on investment probably isn't great compared to just using fast chargers if I really need to, but I've convinced myself now and nothing you say will stop me

Gen 3 wall charger should get better over time too as it's wifi and able to talk to other Tesla products.
                    I just installed my Gen 3 wall charger on the weekend. Its awesome getting 50km per hour charge versus about 12 with the 10a tail.

Comment

Yep, it can already talk to the powerwall and only charge your vehicle when the battery is above a certain % for example, so if you have a power outage you don't suck all the power from your powerwalls into your Tesla.

I'm sure being able to charge based on solar input isn't too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post
                        3 phase FTW, if the supplier already ran all 3 live wires into your box then it's a no brainer to get the meter swapped out and a new breaker box etc.

You typically have to run a dedicated circuit anyway for the 32 amp single phase.
                        Yep fingers crossed (fuck covid restrictions) I was supposed to getting a charger fitted by now. Looks like it's 4 weeks away minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
                          If I ever get a Tesla, the plan was to put in a 32A 3 phase outlet in the shed, with a Fronius Wattpilot alongside. This adjusts the charge current to follow the solar output, so you don't pull from the grid.
                          We do this manually, by stopping/starting charging depending on how much power we're making and using for other things. It's only a minor inconvenience as generally if it's sunny we're good, and if it's cloudy we're not.

Plan once I get the wall charger will be to set the default charging rate in the car to something lower than 32A so we're well within our solar generation, maybe 20A so we're still putting in 4.8kWh, and then be able to crank it on the sunniest days where we can make up to 8kW. I don't know what the available steps are in the in-car adjustment so will have to see whether I can do say 20 or my options are only 16 and 32.

Comment

Would be nice if you could control charge rate via the phone app
                            We have 3 phase throughout the farm, so putting a 3 phase point in the shed would be a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
                              Would be nice if you could control charge rate via the phone app
                              We have 3 phase throughout the farm, so putting a 3 phase point in the shed would be a non issue.
                              Use the API.

If you read power being generated by solar you set the charge rate via the API
                              https://www.teslaapi.io/vehicles/commands

Set charge rate

Comment

Puff-piece on Polestar 2:
                                https://amp.news.com.au/technology/m...2bd9b2210d7185

I guess the most interesting part is where it undercuts Tesla 3 in Yewrop.
                                Got a bit excited ‘til I saw Made In China … a bit boooo about that.
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X