Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    Puff-piece on Polestar 2:
    https://amp.news.com.au/technology/m...2bd9b2210d7185

I guess the most interesting part is where it undercuts Tesla 3 in Yewrop.
    Got a bit excited ‘til I saw Made In China … a bit boooo about that.
    It's also the most incorrect part.

Tesla Model 3 SR+ Europe (239kw, 0-100 5.6 sec, 440km wltp range) from 40k euros
    Polestar 2, front wheel drive (160kw, 0-100 yes, 415km wltp range) from 40k euros with everything as a 4k+ euro option that comes standard on the Tesla (heat pump, lane assist etc).
    Last edited by Dominic Perrottet; 07-08-21, 01:33 PM.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

I didn't realise it was front wheel drive - no thanks. I guess that's what comes from building it on an existing platform and having to adapt it to electrification.

Wall charger install this morning went smoothly. About three hours and they were all done. Tested it out at the full 32A and it was putting 52km/h into the battery - nice. Given my battery was already about 90% charged when I tried it out, is it likely to be a bit faster if the battery is closer to empty, or is that just a DC fast charging thing?

Anyway, have dialed it back to 16A for the time being so it stays within the limits of solar generation on these winter days, but as we approach summer I should be able to turn it up - maybe even right up to 32A on some days. (My home solar maxes out at 8.2kW so on a perfect day with not much else using power, it's doable).

Comment

You will pretty much max out an AC charger (even the 3 phase running 11kw) until its very close to full, 98/99% style.

Single phase 32amp is 7.5 ish kw so you will be able to let it rip in Summer and stay green.
        Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Does the Tesla have an onboard DC-DC converter? I wonder if there is a market for PV inverters having a DC output plug for car charging, to skip the DC-AC-AC-DC conversion inefficiencies. Hell, have it do MPPT as well and plug straight into the solar array, skipping the PV inverter entirely
          Last edited by Sathanas; 11-08-21, 04:15 PM.
          Originally posted by ahabthearab
          If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Whats the go with the new kia offering?
            .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Sathanas View Post
              Does the Tesla have an onboard DC-DC converter? I wonder if there is a market for PV inverters having a DC output plug for car charging, to skip the DC-AC-AC-DC conversion inefficiencies. Hell, have it do MPPT as well and plug straight into the solar array, skipping the PV inverter entirely
              If you can make it do CCS, then that's DC charging.

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                It's just a Kona drivetrain underneath - isn't it?

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                  The EV6?

Yes looks interesting.

Base model is 55Kwh RWD
                  GT model is 77Kwh AWD with 0-60 in 3.5 with 500km range.

Comment

Originally posted by break View Post
                    It's just a Kona drivetrain underneath - isn't it?
                    Nope, completely new platfrom which is shared with the new Hyundai Ioniq 5. I think you're thinking of the e-niro which is the Kia version of the electric Kona I think. The Ioniq 5 based off the road tests is a pretty good thing and that Bjorn guy on youtube has done lots of range and charging testing with the Ioniq 5 and it looks to be pretty damn competitive with better range and faster charging than it's competitors. The main advantage it has over the Model 3 is the fact the EV6 and Ioniq are a SUV/crossover platform which people want and as a 5 seat SUV they are actually huge on the inside compared to most 5 seat SUV's so far more practical than your typical 5 seat SUV or a Model 3.

The downside is only 5 seater at this stage for EV6 and Ioniq 5 and Model Y is coming and depending on pricing the Y may be similar or slightly more for 7 seats though I'm sure Hyundai (Ioniq 7) and Kia will have a stretched version of that platform in the works for 7 seaters coming down the pipeline in the next year or two.

EDIT: Ioniq 6 due 2022 and Ioniq 7 due 2024. https://topelectricsuv.com/news/hyun...niq-7-details/
                    Last edited by Luke352; 12-08-21, 02:08 PM.

Comment

In relevant news, I want to bolt one of these where my LS is - https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...APOqhQJUgFWy1k

Not sure where I would put batteries which is a bit of an issue.
                      Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

There's plenty of cars I reckon they'd be great in, but I think they're ideal for older US pickups and the like. Put a battery pack in or under the tray and it's still usable.

I don't mind this sort of conversion at all where the ICE isn't an essential part of what made that old car great in the first place (or where they're just so common that you're not messing with anything special).

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                          There's plenty of cars I reckon they'd be great in, but I think they're ideal for older US pickups and the like. Put a battery pack in or under the tray and it's still usable.

I don't mind this sort of conversion at all where the ICE isn't an essential part of what made that old car great in the first place (or where they're just so common that you're not messing with anything special).
                          Sensible candidates would be something like a Citroen DS (where the engine wasn't very good) or old Caddy/Lincoln/Rolls/Bentley where the original engine is more or less silent like an EV anyway.

I reckon something like an old F-truck or muscle car, the rumble is a big part of the appeal. Swap in a Tesla donk, you lose the character and are still stuck with the downsides of vintage handling and brakes
                          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Not to mention the the engine covers up the awful NVH issues these cars have built in.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

Sensible candidates would be something like a Citroen DS (where the engine wasn't very good) or old Caddy/Lincoln/Rolls/Bentley where the original engine is more or less silent like an EV anyway.

I reckon something like an old F-truck or muscle car, the rumble is a big part of the appeal. Swap in a Tesla donk, you lose the character and are still stuck with the downsides of vintage handling and brakes
                              Yeah - I wouldn't put one in a muscle car, but I would put one in a pickup that had a wheezy old inline six or emissions strangled V8 to begin with. And definitely old luxury cars would be perfect, especially if the engine was nothing special (ie I wouldn't replace a Jag V12).

Comment

southern cross university conversion of 76 kombi to electric.

farkin uni students - get a job

Kombi Diary - Southern Cross University (scu.edu.au)

Last edited by 9triton; 14-08-21, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X