Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

You would think would learn't from Nissan, Mitsubishi and Holden with the pricing of pure electric cars here.
      I predict it will be closer to $50k by the end of the year as dealers try and clear their stock.

Comment

Greedy cunts.

What are they going for overseas then?

Comment

so - saw something about labour gov pushing for 50% electric cars within x years or something - because what we need is more expensive cars and electricity.

but it got me thinking - how much extra strain would that put on the electricity grid - given that sun is out while you are at work - not charging your car.

found this -
          --
          The cost depends on where you live and the capacity of the EV's batteries. For example, the average price for electricity per kilowatt hour (kWh) in Australia is about $0.25 and it takes around 18 kWh to travel 100km in an average EV. So, it will cost approximately $4.50 in electricity charges to travel 100km2.
          --

so thats ~ an average days usage for a house? means that domestic electricity demand (non-sunlight hours) could potentially be *heaps* higher than current.. (badoom tish)

if the electricity cost goes up by 50% - that will make electric cars pretty much non-economical? - also does this mean we are essentially turning the electricity providers into oil companies? can they be trusted? so many questions for a monday morning.
          This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

So compared to the average petrol car at 8l/100km - thats $12 so only nearly 3x cheaper?
            Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

And individuals can become their own mini oil company with some solar panels and batteries. This could be a game changer in remote areas because the electricity for vehicles can be generated and stored locally rather than having to truck petrol in over massive distances.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                So compared to the average petrol car at 8l/100km - thats $12 so only nearly 3x cheaper?
                or not.

our camry will happilly turn 6's - 6x$1.50 = $8/100

$4.50 * 1.5 = $6.75/100

$1.25/100km going to take a fair while to pay off that price difference.. and range etc.. I guess I just thought electric cars were way cheaper to run.

Comment

The timing of the policy is also pretty smart because EURO7-exposed manufacturers will be focusing on electric/hybrid in order to meet emissions targets. Thats where the market will have to go.
                  Originally posted by Jim
                  I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
                    or not.

our camry will happilly turn 6's - 6x$1.50 = $8/100

$4.50 * 1.5 = $6.75/100

$1.25/100km going to take a fair while to pay off that price difference.. and range etc.. I guess I just thought electric cars were way cheaper to run.
                    You cant talk about average electricity costs and average vehicle range etc and then compare to best-case scenario fuel use (also why are you multiplying $4.50 by 1.5?)
                    Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Best case fuel use (factory rating) is like 4.5L - on average we get 6's around town...

1.5 - because I was talking about a 50% increase in electricity price...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

So lets say petrol is $2/L then to be fair, if youre talking about electricity doubling.

@6L/100 = $12
                        @8L/100 = $16
                        Originally posted by Jim

Comment

I was listening to Matt Farrah Smoking tire podcast recently and he had an Jag I-Pace for a week or so. He said even in LA, the charging infrastructure is pathetic. This will be the biggest problem and a possible money making idea for someone to get in early and be involved in them.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                            You cant talk about average electricity costs and average vehicle range etc and then compare to best-case scenario fuel use (also why are you multiplying $4.50 by 1.5?)
                            I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Whats impressive is I nearly do maths for a living too.

sure - perthy - so it's $2/L and 37.5c/kwh - so $6.25/100 elec & $12/100 petrol - my point is - it's not $2.50/100 (like it would have been off-peak charging 3 years ago) - there's like 3k? electric cars in australia, and at least 1000 of them are plug-in hybrids.. we buy about 1.1m new cars /year - so in a few years they are saying 600k electric cars/year being sold.. the only way it becomes actually economical is if you do a fair few km so for the sake of numbers, call it 500,000 x 100km/day - the equivalent of 500,000 new houses per year in electricity use.. thats some scary shit - if it was feasible.

I guess I'm just thinking - it's going to be less economical for electric cars as demand for electricity increases & demand for petrol reduces.. without tax/excise incentives..

Comment

You city folk better be buying these suckers up
                                I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Working...
                                X