Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get where youre coming from but there are a whole bunch of other factors here, not the least of which is purchasing cost which given increased volume and assuming a government which actually provides meaningful incentives will decrease significantly

On the flipside if we get a government which actually has something resembling a policy on energy prices there will drop too. Contrast to petrol and diesel where there is no reason to suggest prices wont continue to trend up
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Financially, you'd be far better off putting that $25k into rooftop solar with battery storage and continuing to drive a regular petrol car.

Even in CO2 terms, I did some looking into this a month or two back and it seemed I'd have a greater impact solar powering my house than I ever would by electric powering my car.

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
        so - saw something about labour gov pushing for 50% electric cars within x years or something - because what we need is more expensive cars and electricity.

but it got me thinking - how much extra strain would that put on the electricity grid - given that sun is out while you are at work - not charging your car.

found this -
        --
        The cost depends on where you live and the capacity of the EV's batteries. For example, the average price for electricity per kilowatt hour (kWh) in Australia is about $0.25 and it takes around 18 kWh to travel 100km in an average EV. So, it will cost approximately $4.50 in electricity charges to travel 100km2.
        --

so thats ~ an average days usage for a house? means that domestic electricity demand (non-sunlight hours) could potentially be *heaps* higher than current.. (badoom tish)

if the electricity cost goes up by 50% - that will make electric cars pretty much non-economical? - also does this mean we are essentially turning the electricity providers into oil companies? can they be trusted? so many questions for a monday morning.
        Can't remember where I read it, but there were some estimates of 15% extra grid load if 50% of cars were replaced by electric ones. Some clever control methods, and cars being able to serve as grid batteries when not being used might be able to even this out.
        Originally posted by ahabthearab
        If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Leccy garbage trucks make sense - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-...cebook_Organic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
          This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Electric cars need to be affordable for people who might have previously been in the market for say a new i30, mazda 3 or a suzuki swift etc.

A 50k+ Nissan leaf will simply be way out of reach for most traditional new car buyers in Australia

Comment

Leccy garbage trucks make sense - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-...cebook_Organic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
              Volvo has started putting electric trucks into service in Sweden doing garbage and distro work.
              Pretty amusing that SEA-EV are using ACCOs for their EV conversions, given the damm things were released when petrol engined trucks were still common.
              I think one stumbling block for acceptance of EVs is their looks.
              http://www.ace-ev.com.au/ These things look fucking stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by awdmoke View Post
                Check out the Rivian in "Tank Mode"
                Basically skid steer like a bobcat.
                That thing has some brilliant design features.
                Example of said tank turn in an audi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL4U...ature=youtu.be

Should also add that it is 50% of new car sales from 2030 not 50% of the cars on the road. it is also harsher emissions but that just means get a hybrid you will notice that most of Toyota's vehicles come in a hybrid option in preparation for new EPA law's
                CISCOKIDS
                The Gentlemen's Club
                Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by LB-XP View Post
                  Electric cars need to be affordable for people who might have previously been in the market for say a new i30, mazda 3 or a suzuki swift etc.

A 50k+ Nissan leaf will simply be way out of reach for most traditional new car buyers in Australia
                  Nissan Note E power are available for import, Im going to wait a few years before getting the sportier Nismo S model, 100kw and 320nm. Small 1.2L motor charges the battery so no plug in required. 0-60 in 3.8s 0-100 in 8.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
                    Should also add that it is 50% of new car sales from 2030 not 50% of the cars on the road. it is also harsher emissions but that just means get a hybrid you will notice that most of Toyota's vehicles come in a hybrid option in preparation for new EPA law's
                    I thought it was aimed at sooner than that - meh.. Toyota should do a camry plug in - with a drive-on type charge system.. gains in winter might not be much though - using the engine to heat the car etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Sathanas View Post
                      Can't remember where I read it, but there were some estimates of 15% extra grid load if 50% of cars were replaced by electric ones. Some clever control methods, and cars being able to serve as grid batteries when not being used might be able to even this out.
                      I only recently installed my home battery (and smart meter) so only just got access to all the power monitoring data, but with just a 5kw solar system in Adelaide in March, I still exported 240kwh to the grid. Putting all of that into an electric car gets me about 1,500km per month...WITHOUT using the grid. Now March is still pretty sunny and it's not going to continue to be that good, but for a car that only does a ~600km a month commute I'll get close to running it purely off the sun all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle View Post
                        I only recently installed my home battery (and smart meter) so only just got access to all the power monitoring data, but with just a 5kw solar system in Adelaide in March, I still exported 240kwh to the grid. Putting all of that into an electric car gets me about 1,500km per month...WITHOUT using the grid. Now March is still pretty sunny and it's not going to continue to be that good, but for a car that only does a ~600km a month commute I'll get close to running it purely off the sun all year.
                        What size is your home battery? - how much power do you use overnight? (assuming your car isn't home during the day most of the time) - might take some pretty complicated control algorithm.

Comment

The battery is a powerwall 2: 13.5 ish kwh.
                          The car is a leaf, so 24 kwh. It's not here yet.

We would only use 20% of car car's capacity most days so slow charging overnight isn't a problem, and at the moment (without the car) we're cycling between 100% and 60% on the powerwall, so we're only using about 6kwh while the sun is down. That gives plenty of scope to charge the leaf overnight without depleting the house battery (assuming the car leaves in the dark and returns in the dark, which it won't).

There are smart controllers out there that can charge your car based on current solar output(https://evolutionaustralia.com.au/pr...rgi-zappi-7kw/) but I don't think I need to go that far just yet. You could conceivably link that to weather forecasts too, like some house batteries currently do.

Comment

These could be fun:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...605f21c0j4Rwje

Comment

or not.

our camry will happilly turn 6's - 6x$1.50 = $8/100

$4.50 * 1.5 = $6.75/100

$1.25/100km going to take a fair while to pay off that price difference.. and range etc.. I guess I just thought electric cars were way cheaper to run.

There should be no price difference but that will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini View Post
                                There should be no price difference but that will never happen.
                                Yes it will.
                                Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Comment

Working...
                                X