Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    any reason why there is no electric "peoples car" yet?

you'd think the manufacturers would be stinging to tap that market, what am i missing?
    I think it comes down to cost. Building an electric car with the range people expect is more expensive than building an equivalent ICE car. Since you're talking about a price-sensitive market it's not going to fly until the economics change... which they inevitably will, it's just a question of when. 5-10 years maybe?
    Norbie!

Comment

you'd think the manufacturers would be stinging to tap that market, what am i missing?
      Cost.

VW don't even have a Hybrid model here in Australia but they do overseas. Also the E golf. Same thing. They just don't want to setup shop here yet with tooling up dealers and training everyone.

The amount of consideration that needs to be put in place at a dealership for electrification is quite substantial in regards to servicing the batterys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
        Aston on the bandwagon with a full-electric Rapide.

I like how they have kept out the same shape as the old Rapide, so it looks like an ICE car, not the weird proportions of some other electrics.
        From what I've read it's not a clean sheet design like a Jag I-Pace. It's a redo of the ICE Rapide meaning that the batteries, inverters, motors go where the existing NA Rapide's motor, gearbag, fuel tank, diff went. They could fiddle with front grille size due to less cooling & rear diffuser.

Comment

So Telsa have a handful of Model S 75D's on runnout. Theses are Std battery not long range, or so the guy said. From here on in Aus all model S will be the long range batteries.

These are 70kwh (whatever that means) D = dual motor, and brand new. 8 year unlimited km warranty. So Uber drivers and VHA plate holders go nuts.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/inventor...=0&redirect=no

Disclaimer. I don't work for Tesla and i don't care if you don't buy these things. Also this is what the salesman told me. Note Sales people not always reliable.

As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Comment

75D is 75kWh battery.

Comment

$103K - thats a good deal.. oh.. $120 by the time it's in your name...
              This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Economies of scale.

Toyota has recouped the vast bulk of the R&D cost of the camry in previous years, and the R&D cost of the new model is spread between the several million of them produced this year. Plus the manufacturing process uses parts from companies that have also paid off their production line.

The EV is a growing market and I think it will be many years after the artificially imposed "2030" deadline before we see an electric family car cheaper than the ICE equivalent.
                Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Comment

Batteries certainly are a big cost. Eg I converted my farm kart (Toro Workman MDE) from lead acid to lithium at home and the 5.2kWh lithium pack cost me $2500 just in batteries, not including the management system and other bits I had to buy. Probably $4k all up. And that was for LiFEPO4 cells, the NCM and higher performance cells likely cost more. For a 100kWh battery there's $50k right there, without adding the required cooling, balancing modules, fuses, protection systems, inverter, battery casing etc etc. So a Tesla for $100k is actually not bad value for all the comforts you get, crash compliance, R&D etc.

Comment

I think thats why the camry and the prius etc run some sort of nickel metal jobs.
                    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

*Monthly repayment amount based on drive away price on a secured Consumer Loan with a null month term and 4.79% p.a. interest rate. Repayments must be made monthly and cannot be made weekly. Dealer commission, standard fees and charges apply.

What does a null month term mean?

Comment

Originally posted by bryan View Post
                        *Monthly repayment amount based on drive away price on a secured Consumer Loan with a null month term and 4.79% p.a. interest rate. Repayments must be made monthly and cannot be made weekly. Dealer commission, standard fees and charges apply.

What does a null month term mean?
                        Means their web developers stuffed up maybe making a database call or something. Shows as 60 months for me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                          Means their web developers stuffed up maybe making a database call or something. Shows as 60 months for me though.

Comment

Ok. So it's right in one place and not in another. Website's fucked like I said.

Comment

Know that it's coming. But Jesus, about 5-10 years earlier than I was expecting! (can see potential for people to hang on to older polluting cars)
                              VW group out of internal combustion engines (not just diesel) by 2026
                              https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...engine-115942/
                              [edit: VW heading is deceptive. Doesn't mention Lambo, Porsche, Bugatti sub brands, wiggle room to 2040 for countries without charging infrastructure.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles

Comment

Why Converting Classic Cars to Electric Drive Is A Thing

https://hackaday.com/2019/01/04/why-...ve-is-a-thing/

Comment

Working...
                                X