Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.carsguide.com.au/urban/n...he-20-years-we

Comment

I thought the only issue with hydrogen was producing it in a clean manner ie solar.

To me it has always made more sense considering there is already the infrastructure to distribute it.
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

There is certainly a case for it with commercial transportation where you have the combination of repetitive, long-distance, time-critical journeys

However for anything else there is literally no reason why it cant be done better with BEV

The production of hydrogen for example is little better than the production of diesel and petrol, considering you still need the fossil fuel (gas) plants to create it, then pressurise up to 10,000psi to enable it to be stored and transported, plus run all the service stations to supply the vehicles.

Then you still have to convert it back again to electricity to power the vehicle

It is a massively less efficient process than just creating and powering vehicles directly by electricity in the first place.

I still contend the pushing of hydrogen as a fuel is more about oil companies securing their business model than it being a superior way to go over BEV.
        Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 05-11-20, 01:52 PM.
        Originally posted by Jim
        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

You can produce it with microwaves. Problem is storing it. It boils at 20 kelvin. It seeps through solid steel, and makes it brittle on the way through.
          https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/...ter_splitting/
          Check out the comments section on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
            Check out the comments section on it too.
            Science nerds trying to out-nerd each other

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
              I thought the only issue with hydrogen was producing it in a clean manner ie solar.

To me it has always made more sense considering there is already the infrastructure to distribute it.
              The electricity transmission grid?

Comment

biggest problem for electric cars is that everyone generally can get electricity
                This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Well it was just announced the SA Government are backing a hydrogen plant in Whyalla (https://reneweconomy.us4.list-manage...c&e=44de392fe1). Producing hydrogen with an electrolyser for the export market. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Having said that, green hydrogen is incredibly energy intensive to produce, store and transport as you guys have been saying. I've heard a few podcast discussions on it over the past few years. One of them basically summed up that it did not make economical sense for Australia to produce hydrogen and export it due to our remote location. They came to the conclusion that we are better off producing end products (such as green steel) from the hydrogen we produce locally and selling that to the global green market. The transition will be interesting...

I don't think hydrogen for EV cars stacks up. Batteries are leaps and bounds ahead.

Comment

except the electricity is from coal.

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

depends on your State... that is anyway a separate issue, BEVs will exist whether the electricity is from coal, wind or the solar panels on your house
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

just spent all morning on a harley livewire

very nice bike. very well put together.

i know the word "harley" puts imagery of skulls and leathery women in peoples minds, but this things a super naked like an MT07 or street triple and rides like one.

probably as fast if not similar acceleration to my 130hp harley lowrider.

other than that.... it rides, stops and handles brilliantly. on par with any other super naked.

but... it just left me wanting more. so incredibly easy to ride, if i rode one every day i could definitely see my getting complacent with my riding.

too much of a good thing maybe? i don't know. i'm just a lot less excited after getting off it than i thought i'd be.

Comment

Interesting 'ring lap in a model 3 with suspension mods. Uses 35% of the battery doing the GP + ring lap. It's fast, very clinical though.

Comment

Originally posted by FioriGuy View Post
                            just spent all morning on a harley livewire

very nice bike. very well put together.

i know the word "harley" puts imagery of skulls and leathery women in peoples minds, but this things a super naked like an MT07 or street triple and rides like one.

probably as fast if not similar acceleration to my 130hp harley lowrider.

other than that.... it rides, stops and handles brilliantly. on par with any other super naked.

but... it just left me wanting more. so incredibly easy to ride, if i rode one every day i could definitely see my getting complacent with my riding.

too much of a good thing maybe? i don't know. i'm just a lot less excited after getting off it than i thought i'd be.
                            Because no clutch so it’s twist and go and $50k

if there was more engagement and it was $25k you’d be ordering one today?

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post

Because no clutch so it’s twist and go and $50k

if there was more engagement and it was $25k you’d be ordering one today?
                              Well no, or I’d just own a street triple or MT07

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                                However for anything else there is literally no reason why it cant be done better with BEV
                                How so?
                                Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X