Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ing-it-nowhere

Jafari says if they go ahead these plans would make Australia the first place to make using the developing technology more expensive, rather than trying to bring down the price. “We would absolutely become a laughing stock for telling people not to buy electric vehicles,” he says.

Trent Zimmerman, a moderate federal Liberal MP representing North Sydney, agrees now is not the time. “I think introducing road user charges for electric vehicles any time in this decade would be a mistake,” he says.
    But Whitehead says there are already several examples of auto-makers ignoring Australia with new models in favour of more mature markets. For example, Korean manufacturer Kia dropped plans to introduce new EV models here, instead focusing on countries with more ambitious policy support. He says it is a sign of what lies ahead.

“We need a clear target and a clear set of policies to get us there,” Whitehead says. “If Australia continues down this pathway of non-existent policy we will be left behind, and we’ll all suffer for that.”
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 22-11-20, 08:08 AM.
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Once Australia gets slapped a tariff on everything we sell, because we don't have a zero emission target, maybe then they will have to change tact. Even the Chinese might do it for a laugh.

It'll drive some many of them bonkers, but Biden will be going pretty hard on more renewable energy and vehicles, which us look even more silly.. Our line from the last 4 years of "but but America" will no longer hold up.
      RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Congrats on the purchase Babs. You’ll love it. We’re now a bit over a month into ownership of our 2016 model S and totally love it. Smashing the throttle off the line never gets old. Can comfortably do a return trip from Brisbane to the Gold Coast with 100km to spare. Last weekend we hit heavy traffic on the way home and autopilot was amazing.

I bought a wall charger and got it installed by the sparky from work. It works well. Before that we were getting by with the 10A plug. charger. I’ve just switched to a time of use tariff that gives 7c/kWh after midnight. I’ve setup the car so it starts charging at midnight. So I think that means a full charge (60kWh battery) costs about $4. Typically a top-up takes a couple of hours.

I’ve got it booked in at Tesla for a couple of minor things fixed. At the same time I’m getting the charging port retrofitted to CCS2 standard that the Model 3 uses, so it opens up all options to use the Qld electric superhighway chargers all the way up the coast.

Anyway, no complaints here.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          Congrats on the purchase Babs. You’ll love it. We’re now a bit over a month into ownership of our 2016 model S and totally love it. Smashing the throttle off the line never gets old. Can comfortably do a return trip from Brisbane to the Gold Coast with 100km to spare. Last weekend we hit heavy traffic on the way home and autopilot was amazing.

I bought a wall charger and got it installed by the sparky from work. It works well. Before that we were getting by with the 10A plug. charger. I’ve just switched to a time of use tariff that gives 7c/kWh after midnight. I’ve setup the car so it starts charging at midnight. So I think that means a full charge (60kWh battery) costs about $4. Typically a top-up takes a couple of hours.

I’ve got it booked in at Tesla for a couple of minor things fixed. At the same time I’m getting the charging port retrofitted to CCS2 standard that the Model 3 uses, so it opens up all options to use the Qld electric superhighway chargers all the way up the coast.

Anyway, no complaints here.
          Yeah we're looking forward to it, just 4 weeks to go. I've bought the wall charger already (plus the mats and roof sunshades since the SR+ doesn't come with any) and had the sparky over for a quote today.
          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Make sure you get some "jacking pucks" - there are a heap of them around but i got these ones as they come with a case/tube and are lower profile than others - once installed your ground clearance reduces a bit.
            Also, perhaps think about an emergency puncher repair kit since the car has no spare or kit/tools. You should get Tesla Road Side Assist with the car, which includes tyre replacement, but my experience has been "i wouldn't want to rely on it".

Spare Xbox Controller for the games doesnt go a miss either

Also, i wish i had applied PPF to the front of the car, the paint is the softest i've had on any new car in the last 10 years, it chips very easily.
            Last edited by to4garret; 24-11-20, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Model 3 wait times are 9-12 weeks up from 4-8 weeks.

Comment

Is that for new Model 3 orders MZ? or an update on your delivery?

I got jelly than new Model 3's come with power tail gate so i ordered one from the Black Friday sales

Comment

Originally posted by to4garret View Post
                  Make sure you get some "jacking pucks" - there are a heap of them around but i got these ones as they come with a case/tube and are lower profile than others - once installed your ground clearance reduces a bit.
                  It's got porka-style jacking points? I've got this

Only one, but this is nopics car and I figure I'll never have it on stands, maybe one corner may be up on the trolley jack for a pad check or something
                  Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by to4garret View Post
                    Is that for new Model 3 orders MZ? or an update on your delivery?

I got jelly than new Model 3's come with power tail gate so i ordered one from the Black Friday sales
                    ​​​​​​For new orders. Mine is still scheduled for December delivery.

On a side note.......

Changed my order to a Model 3 Performance from an LR AWD. Had to take white interior upgrade but fuck it when test drove them back the back performance is savage in its acceleration. There where two unsold Performance cars in the current shipment.

This will make make feel less bad about buying a Model 3 over a Porsche.

Comment

Nice

it’ll be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post
                        Changed my order to a Model 3 Performance from an LR AWD. Had to take white interior upgrade but fuck it when test drove them back the back performance is savage in its acceleration. There where two unsold Performance cars in the current shipment.
                        Haha yes! 430+kw of no regrets!

I've heard this happening to a lot of people who manage to get test drives

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

It's got porka-style jacking points? I've got this

Only one, but this is nopics car and I figure I'll never have it on stands, maybe one corner may be up on the trolley jack for a pad check or something
                          That looks like it might do the trick if you have a LOW profile jack. The only time i could see 4x pucks coming in handy is if you were getting all the wheels balanced/rotated at a tyre shop and their scissor lift doesnt have the right pads to lift the car. On that note - i've had two tyre shops refuse to work on the car as they didnt want to deal with something different.

Comment

MZ21: fucking nice work on the model 3 performance. I’d love to take one for a test drive.

Comment

So I did this. Well sort of. I invested $150 to get to the back of the queue for a Cyberturck. Yes, the world's ugliest vehicle. I think the only thing uglier is perhaps the wheels or wheel caps on the Cybertruck, but they can be switched out in week one.

I'd been holding out for a Rivian or an F150 EV, or even some other version that just looks normally ugly like a Triton, but it seems there is little or no chance of them in RHD within a decade. Whereas this will still be 3 or 4 years away, but at least it's allegedly coming here. By the time it lands we will be full solar/battery at home so bye-bye fuel bills. Well unless I take one of my old cars (None of which I plan to sell) for a Sunday drive.

I've gone the full Tri-motor mostly for the range, 500 miles/800 km is great, even if it drops to 600 in the real world, that will be enough. Performance-wise the dual-motor would be fast enough for what will be a daily but the 500 km range is on the edge.

It's a big bastard. At 5.9 m long and just over 2.0m wide. I hope it comes with some of the Rivian's practicality. I've skipped self-driving and that non-sense. In fact, I wish that I could delete 1/2 of the driving aids and save the $$$. But the options are 1, 2 or 3 motors and self-drive.

It feels odd to order what will be a 100K+ car with such little info but The order fee is low, and so, therefore, is the risk. I assume at some point closer that will turn into $2k and non-refundable. If it drives as well as model 3 it will be awesome.

The EV tax whilst stupid is not really a deterrent. I calculated that will be about $300 pa which is 2 fills in a RAM or similar full-sized pickup.

This will be interesting.
                              Last edited by MotherTrucker; 30-11-20, 02:56 PM.

As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Comment

I thought the Cybertruck wasn't coming to Australia? (Be cool if it was, I love it TBH)

Comment

Working...
                                X