Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shonky
    replied
    Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    Interesting breakdown of a full-"autopilot" drive using the latest Tesla beta software. Some crazy real-time computing going on there!
    Impressive to do autonomously. These Tesla FSD videos always seem the same. Such a rave even when it does something specific you'd say wasn't very good.

And I fucking hate "bayta"

Leave a comment:

• poid
    replied
    The Outback I had would nail the brakes at virtually anything, my favourite being a particular street which has a bend right before a set of traffic lights, causing the car to think I was going to hit the car opposite and nailing the brakes in full emergency stop mode. It was a big reason why I got rid of it and won't get another Subaru, it's bloody dangerous as far as I'm concerned. I can also see how it would prevent incidents for the typical Subaru SUV driver that can barely operate a vehicle and that's the crowd it is designed for...

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by nastysven View Post
    The yaris has flashed up the big red warning for me a few times. I've also had it try and stop me changing lanes at short notice to.
    The system in the Commode, GM 2012 spec so I guess German or Japanese 2002 spec, would be fucking dangerous if it took control rather than just beeping & whining (it's bad enough when you're enjoying a piece of music with some volume and it decides a hazar'd coming so it screems BEEP-BEEP-BEEP at you all of a sudden at a volume intended to be louder than the music).

Leave a comment:

• nastysven
    replied
    The yaris has flashed up the big red warning for me a few times. I've also had it try and stop me changing lanes at short notice to.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Purple
    replied
    A similar thing happened to me a few years back. Accelerating from the lights, and the guy in a Civic in front of me missed a shift. Because I was actually paying attention I just backed off the throttle but my BMW decided the AEB needed to save my life and stopped me on the spot. Fortunately there was no-one behind me.

I'd been told it didn't actually have AEB, so that was fun. Our Lexus routinely does the whole 'flash the brake now' lights thing at shadows, so I'd hate to think how that's set up. Surely the cars can be interrogated afterwards somehow to work out if it was the car or the driver responsible.

Leave a comment:

• perthdrivers.txt
    replied
    TBH that seems pretty straightforward - whoever rear-ended you is at fault as per normal rules. If the truck went into another lane and hit a car in the process he would again be at fault for unsafe lane change.

Yeah it sucks but you have to consider what any other drivers' reaction would be from the cyclist - maybe your mate didnt see the need to slam on the brakes but someone else might have?

Also factoring into that though is the "intelligence" of the detection system in the car. Not surprisingly Tesla is way ahead in this area as can be seen from the vid above. Only if you can confidently say *no* driver would have taken the action the system did to avoid the cyclist could you then say "hey this system is unsafe"

Leave a comment:

• Grungle
    replied
    Had a bloke at work recently describe an incident with his new Touareg, with auto emergency braking.
    Cruising along a busy dual carriageway at 60, and a cyclist pulls straight out of a side street into the bike lane, right next to the car.
    Driver is ok with it - plenty of room, but the car freaks out and hits the brakes, coming to an immediate stop, in the lane. Which was fine, apart from the loaded semi trailer that locked up behind him and skidded into the other lane, unbelievably missing everything.

Within a couple of seconds the car realised there was no impact and it let the brakes off, but old mate then got abused by the truckie and other people around him. He was a total passenger in the whole thing, and actually tried to accelerate through the brakes when he realised he was about to get nailed by a truck.

So no-one injured and chalk another one up for automated safety devices, but he raised the question - who would be liable if:
    a) The truck hit him?
    b) The truck hit someone else?

We all assumed it would be him, as he's the one that's 'controlling' the car, even though the car automatically performed an extreme action to a non-existent 'threat', but would an insurance company see it that way? He was glad he didn't have to find out.

Leave a comment:

• perthdrivers.txt
    replied
    Interesting breakdown of a full-"autopilot" drive using the latest Tesla beta software. Some crazy real-time computing going on there!

Leave a comment:

• TriPod1
    replied
    Oh he doesn't look to bad..

Car looks very cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Derek-cropped-1-1024x768.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	7305083

Leave a comment:

• TriPod1
    replied
    Originally posted by Smudge View Post
    Anyone heard of this McMurtry Spéirling?
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...fine-supercars
    https://mcmurtry.com/speirling/
    https://mcmurtry.com/wp-content/uplo...fact-sheet.pdf
    David McMurty is an 80yr old Irish billionaire who was involved in designing the engines for the Aerospatiale-BAC Concorde. He's developed this compact single seater track car 1000kg/750kw.
    The idea is that it is low drag with electric fans for downforce when you need them. The fans work in auto mode (?) or can be triggered by a paddle. Dereck Bell is helping as a development driver.
    Derek Bell is still alive?

Will look at links now...

Leave a comment:

• Smudge
    replied
    Anyone heard of this McMurtry Spéirling?
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...fine-supercars
    https://mcmurtry.com/speirling/
    https://mcmurtry.com/wp-content/uplo...fact-sheet.pdf
    David McMurty is an 80yr old Irish billionaire who was involved in designing the engines for the Aerospatiale-BAC Concorde. He's developed this compact single seater track car 1000kg/750kw.
    The idea is that it is low drag with electric fans for downforce when you need them. The fans work in auto mode (?) or can be triggered by a paddle. Derek Bell is helping as a development driver.
    Last edited by Smudge; 19-10-21, 12:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Falc&Send
    replied
    Porsche Taycan electric car outsells 911 in Australia

https://www.drive.com.au/news/porsch...-in-australia/

The zero-emission Porsche Taycan has outsold the German brand’s iconic 911 sports car so far in 2021 in most countries, including Australia.

Between January and September, 28,640 examples of the electric sedan were delivered to customers globally, compared to 27,972 examples of the 911.

Over the same period in Australia, 445 examples of the Taycan were reported as sold according to the latest VFACTS industry sales figures, while 316 examples of the 911 were delivered.

However, last month (September) the Porsche 911 made up ground for the third time this year, outselling its stablemate (25 sales, to 17).

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Major View Post

If you are going to buy an Isetta, you might as well buy an Iso, and if you are going to buy an Iso you might as well buy a Grifo.
    This logic cannot be faulted.

Leave a comment:

• Shonky
    replied
    Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    you’d think being an EV they would’ve got rid of that godawful grille
    They did. It's now a panel.

Leave a comment:

• MexicanBatman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic Perrottet View Post

I dont mind driving it low as long as i'm heading to somewhere where I know there's a charger, you can go a few % worth of travel past 0 and the vehicle tells you to slow down if you need to.
    Put mine in dyno mode and the actual % was different to the reported %

seems to under state a few % so explains why it keeps going when it’s 0%

Leave a comment:

Working...
X