X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me put my argument betterer,

- Cars containing asbestos are banned - Fair enough
    - Let major manufacturers import asbestos - Just not individual imports - Go fuck yourself Gymbyment and Border Farce

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
      thats bullshit because any late model stuff can still come in easy and most of the stuff being currently targeted are cars that would have been piss easy to import using the already existing pre-89 rule
      The manufacturers/offiicial importers have been against imports for years, even before the prospect of being able to bring new/late model cars over. In their mind any unofficial import harms their business. The theory being if someone has the funds to import a used car, then they have the funds to buy a new car. And by allowing importing of used cars it reduces the demand on local used cars which in turn results in less people buying new cars.
      Of course we all know this is all complete and utter garbage because the guy looking at importing a 1969 Dodge Daytona Hemi is hardly going to go out and buy a Yaris.

Originally posted by mizone View Post
      Let me put my argument betterer,

- Cars containing asbestos are banned - Fair enough
      - Let major manufacturers import asbestos - Just not individual imports - Go fuck yourself Gymbyment and Border Farce
      Which major manufacturer is importing asbestos?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
        Which major manufacturer is importing asbestos?
        Well lets not read the past few pages where I've listed both Polaris and others have listed Chinese importers.

Take a look at this.

The Perth Childrens Hospital. Built over the past three years.

It's got cladding like that tower that burnt in both Melbourne and London. But the kiddies will be safe because the tiles are asbestos will protect them and the lead water pipes will melt and put out the fire.

I shouldn't complain at all.

Comment

Ah, so you were talking about the manufacturers who were caught importing asbestos illegally and penalised accordingly.
          Slightly different to your implication that big business is allowed to bring the stuff in with no issues.

Comment

Ah, so you were talking about the manufacturers who were caught importing asbestos illegally and penalised accordingly.
            Slightly different to your implication that big business is allowed to bring the stuff in with no issues.
            Huh?

Polaris brings in SXS with asbestos. Gets told to put sticker on it. Does recall.
            Cherry Automotive - Puts stickers on cars
            Great Wall - Sticker
            John Holland brings in asbestos panelling. So far, nada.

Sorry, you think they got charged and fined for it. Bullocks.

Comment

Huh?

Polaris brings in SXS with asbestos. Gets told to put sticker on it. Does recall.
              Cherry Automotive - Puts stickers on cars
              Great Wall - Sticker
              John Holland brings in asbestos panelling. So far, nada.

Sorry, you think they got charged and fined for it. Bullocks.
              Didn't Chery/Great Wall also get fined and forced to do a recall?
              I see where you're coming from though, maybe we should start donating as much as ATECO and John Holland to the major political parties.

Comment

Didn't Chery/Great Wall also get fined and forced to do a recall?
                just the fine and sticker on the cars
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

If one was tempted to import a 70’s or 80’s Japanese car, what are the chances of getting a green light without being arse rapped by customs to prove everything is “safe”?

Comment

I don't think anything gets through now, call an importer but I daresay you will be pulling it apart in Japan.

Comment

I wonder what this mean for the value of the cars already here. There still seem to be good buying in the late 70's, early 80's American Muscle cars.

Comment

shame theres no car ferry from nz / png. get it shipped there then drive it in.
                        Originally posted by Marv
                        Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post
                          If one was tempted to import a 70’s or 80’s Japanese car, what are the chances of getting a green light without being arse rapped by customs to prove everything is “safe”?
                          I was going to write that Japan banned asbestos in the 1980's, they didn't. They only started banning it in 1995!

http://www.ibasecretariat.org/chron_ban_list.php
                          https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664762/
                          https://www.jisha.or.jp/english/pdf/...n_Japan-01.pdf

Comment

That kinda sucks given the usual import companies posting on Facebook tempting people into these quite attractive propositions without stating that customs will probably slap double the amount you paid for the cars at auction.

I presume there’s not register to say which cars were build without asbestos or not. Way to fucking ruin it for everyone.

Comment

I was going to write that Japan banned asbestos in the 1980's, they didn't. They only started banning it in 1995!

http://www.ibasecretariat.org/chron_ban_list.php
                              https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664762/
                              https://www.jisha.or.jp/english/pdf/...n_Japan-01.pdf
                              Japs were still using it in brakes and clutches up until 2004.

Comment

I spoke to an importer at McLean's bridge classic car meet on the weekend. He said he can "de-asbestotise " cars easily from

NZ
                                South Africa
                                England
                                USA

Is actually a reasonable business idea for a mechanic, head over to Japan, set up shop, pull apart, put back together, profit.
                                Originally posted by thebluerx7
                                The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Working...
                                X