Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

importing cars containing asbestos

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    I spoke to an importer at McLean's bridge classic car meet on the weekend. He said he can "de-asbestotise " cars easily from

    NZ
    South Africa
    England
    USA

    Is actually a reasonable business idea for a mechanic, head over to Japan, set up shop, pull apart, put back together, profit.
    Who was it that you spoke to?
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

    Comment


      Originally posted by I'm DJ! View Post
      I spoke to an importer at McLean's bridge classic car meet on the weekend. He said he can "de-asbestotise " cars easily from

      NZ
      South Africa
      England
      USA

      Is actually a reasonable business idea for a mechanic, head over to Japan, set up shop, pull apart, put back together, profit.
      Without a NATA recognised certificate though all the mechanic pulling apart and putting back together with non killy substances isn't worth shit as they will still want proof and once it lands here the only way to prove it is pull it apart and test it. Agree there is opportunity there (hence a number of yank importers I know of can do it already) but for the unsuspecting there is also the chance you pay a man overseas and then get shafted by customs anyway if you haven't got all the right bits of paper.
      Hide yo' wife!!!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Old Major View Post
        Who was it that you spoke to?
        Ditto - a mate has identified some stuff he wants to bring in.
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

        Comment


          Originally posted by Old Major View Post
          Who was it that you spoke to?
          Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
          Ditto - a mate has identified some stuff he wants to bring in.
          This guy. He was super commercial and creative in answering the weird questions I had.
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by thebluerx7
          The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

          Comment


            Managing the risk of asbestos when importing a motor vehicle
            Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

            Comment


              Wow thats fucked

              So how has the entire grey-market import sector not disappeared overnight? The only possible guarantee you could have of no asbestos is (in a JDM vehicle at least) if the vehicle is post-2004?

              Originally posted by Jim
              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
              Originally posted by elfturbomax
              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
              1UZ+1NZ...

              Comment


                Has anyone any recent experience on this more recently? I am considering looking for and bringing in a 60's classic next year and am keen to understand the risk. I have contacted an importer and they haven't given any certainty to the issues with asbestos, other than they clean the car and will dismantle to remove asbestos if requried. I need to tease this out further to understand if this relates to the entire engine or just manifolds, etc.

                All help appreciated.

                Comment


                  Tipper, your best bet is a to call a importer and ask them whats required as of today. They will be bringing cars in and will know the senarios.

                  Comment


                    IMPORTING CARS CONTAINING SNAILS

                    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...opod-mollusks/

                    As reported by Australia’s Car Advice, five shipments totalling 900 Mercedes-Benz vehicles have been ordered to turn around and go home after Aussie authorities discovered a type of snail unknown to the land Down Under. The island nation doesn’t take too kindly to new species that could disrupt the country’s fragile ecosystem, forcing dealers to tell buyers their new car will have to wait.

                    Apparently, the snail infestation — the publication notes that the suspect in question is the Heath snail, native to southwest Europe and parts of North America — was caught by Australia’s Department of Agriculture, which placed $50 million worth of vehicles in quarantine as it worked on a solution. That solution, it turns out, was to send boatloads of sedans, SUVs, and vans back to a port in Belgium

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                      IMPORTING CARS CONTAINING SNAILS

                      https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...opod-mollusks/
                      As reported by Australia’s Car Advice, five shipments totalling 900 Mercedes-Benz vehicles have been ordered to turn around and go home after Aussie authorities discovered a type of snail unknown to the land Down Under. The island nation doesn’t take too kindly to new species that could disrupt the country’s fragile ecosystem, forcing dealers to tell buyers their new car will have to wait.

                      Apparently, the snail infestation — the publication notes that the suspect in question is the Heath snail, native to southwest Europe and parts of North America — was caught by Australia’s Department of Agriculture, which placed $50 million worth of vehicles in quarantine as it worked on a solution. That solution, it turns out, was to send boatloads of sedans, SUVs, and vans back to a port in Belgium
                      Did it just happen to be Mercedes because they are currently opposing the LCT? Asking for a Bavarian car importing company friend.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by mizone View Post

                        Did it just happen to be Mercedes because they are currently opposing the LCT? Asking for a Bavarian car importing company friend.
                        LOL... Boat loads of other cars from non-Euro manufacturers have also been sent back for biosecurity reasons, it's not a particularly uncommon thing.

                        1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                        2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

                        Comment


                          Turn back the boats.

                          sounds like a big fuck you to importers Why couldn't they send in nuclear grade agent orange canisters and kill anything in the whole boat.
                          What would merc do once it gets back to Belgium. .?.. Send in agent orange and resend boat back to australia. With a certificate.
                          Last edited by 9triton; 24-10-19, 12:06 PM.

                          Comment


                            Sent to Belgian, snails recovered and sent across the border to France, certificate to say "clean", send boat back. If they find enough snails they can offset the extra boat trip a little.
                            Hide yo' wife!!!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X