importing cars containing asbestos

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Good idea, will ensure i get the local BMW dealer to write that letter for the e46 to save any stupid hassles. I'll likely get Iron Chef to assist importing my car for me anyway as i don't want to screw it up!

Comment

Check this out!
      http://ferraris-online.com/pages/art...FOC_201707_SS2

Comment

More information about the DKW import fiasco.

http://heinkelscooter.blogspot.com.a...rning-new.html
        Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Comment

thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down? Aside from the people who got caught off guard when the rules first started being enforced this year there doesn't seem to be too much else to read about it...

Its not a short term problem for me, but something I want to stay on top of.. especially if its going to be worth it for me to keep receipts/packaging etc. for any parts I use/swap/upgrade in the next few years to demonstrate that there is no asbestos
          Originally posted by myshortyboomba
          I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
            thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down? Aside from the people who got caught off guard when the rules first started being enforced this year there doesn't seem to be too much else to read about it...

Its not a short term problem for me, but something I want to stay on top of.. especially if its going to be worth it for me to keep receipts/packaging etc. for any parts I use/swap/upgrade in the next few years to demonstrate that there is no asbestos
            I hear it's an ongoing thing. Suspect it's gone quiet because the importers aren't bringing anything in.
            "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Some importers are bringing cars and parts in no worries. Others are copping the studded gauntlet up the jacksie.

The concerning thing is it doesn't appear to be happening at all ports and customs facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
                thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down?
                Yes, it's as strong as ever.

Call BossKraft to help you get a Australian asbestos's certificate whilst in the US. I'm told they can do the remediation works as well.

Comment

Good to see someone over there has picked up on it as an opportunity, how much cost does it add I wonder? I know Shermatt was offering the same sort of thing (not lab testing though just removing relevant parts and replacing with compliant stuff)
                  Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

There was certainly a business opportunity there. We now need similar businesses in the UK, Japan etc.

Comment

Fuck Is there a definitive list of what bits of car they want to check? I know I've got some cracked seam sealer and other things to replace, I don't particularly want to get it all replaced/repainted and THEN have it chipped away for testing.. One overly keen guy did his own testing on his C10 just for piece of mind and came back with some comforting results http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=17

but yes, definitely glad someone has taken the opportunity to help some people out and make some money, thanks for the tip mizone... I'm at least a few years away from needing it, this will be the last thing I want to deal with when I'm in the middle of moving back to Aus one day so trying to stay ahead.
                      Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                      I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

No definitive list but from what I've seen - head/intake/exhaust gaskets, brake linings, underbody protection, firewall and under bonnet linings.
                        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                          No definitive list but from what I've seen - head/intake/exhaust gaskets, brake linings, underbody protection, firewall and under bonnet linings.
                          Clutch friction material, interior sound deadening.
                          They also went for the fibreglass bonnet on the Shelby, and the roof lining.
                          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Caulking, fabric covered wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                              GT350 Mustang and the NSU thingo in Perfs got the full over.

Wish they did that to the Kiddies hospital roof panels. Damn stuff is solid asbestos.

They also need to do it to all imported vehicles. Audi through to ZX need to be done, not just picking on the personal enthusiast importers.

Comment

yeah but high volume car makers are good for society. you cant fuck with any of the big players because trickle down economics bruh
                                1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                                The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X