Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used the heavy duty battery cable crimpers that are on eBay for cheaps?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used the heavy duty battery cable crimpers that are on eBay for cheaps?

Need to crimp up a bunch of large diameter battery cable, Anderson plugs and stuff, and my old method of using a vice and soldering them is just a pain, even though it works.

Considering buying one of the cheap cable crimpers off eBay to shorten the process, especially now that they are like $40 not >$120 like they used to be.

There are two generic types, one hydraulic style:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Ton-Hyd...sAAOSwbYZXVQZY
    and one manual bolt cutter style:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-6-50m...MAAOSw2gxY1Q2u

Anyone used them? Will they do the job, or will they explode and cause firey death when used?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I have a hydraulic one, it does the job..

Comment

Have used manual one and was fine. Dont have the car anymore tho. So could have been fireball by now but prolly not
      www.holditflat.com

Comment

I've got one that looks very similar to your second link. Works fine. I crimp on supercheap lugs to battery cable and cover with heat shrink and no issues yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones
        If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
        we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Comment

I've got the first one, works awesome (but it could be the user)
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

+1 for the first one working well
            Originally posted by race6.3l
            Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Comment

First one does the job. Battery cables are easy as piss with it

Comment

manual, dont be a fagget.

that second link is a small one, the full size manual crimpers do up to 120mm
                Rdyno rules

Comment

Yup, eBay hydraulic jobby still works.
                  A few tips:
                  1. Buy a pack of the big lugs from ebay too. Supercheap ones are crap and pricey
                  2. Don't open the case upside down in the rain at night while fixing your son's car so that you spend even longer picking up all the bits.
                  3. Spray everything with WD40 so they don't go rusty.
                  4. Don't leave the dies in the jaws for six months since you last used it (see #2 & 3).
                  Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Az has the first one that lives at my place. Works great but have to use the dies that are on size lower than advertised. Works good if you do that.
                    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Used both hydraulic and manual, hydraulic is easier if you are doing lots of connections but do have a little more set-up with finding both halves of the die. When I only have one or two terminations to do I usually grab the manual ones.
                      Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Comment

I have a set of the hydraulic ones they do a really good job. They've done a lot of work over the years and are still going strong.
                        Originally posted by Einstein
                        The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Cool, sounds like the hydraulic one is the go. Dont need 120mm either, hell 2ga/welding cable is more than enough.
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget
                          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I'm going to make some wooden vice jaws to hold the crimper as holding it, aligning the cable and terminal and pumping the pumper is a bit awkward
                            I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

I've used manual 120mm crimpers for everything. They're fine and avoid finding dies.
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              the only decent six pot holden ever put in a car was the nissan RB30

Comment

Working...
                              X