Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

Just got this email from Shipito.com... seems that govco is starting to finger people buying stuff from overseas...

------------------------------------------

We want to update you on changes affecting customers shipping into Australia. New commerce regulations require stricter labelling on imports shipped into Australia. You can find the official labeling requirements on border.gov.au. Shipito system has been updated to comply with these regulations so you can continue to use Shipito to fill in your customs declarations.

FedEx Australia will no longer ship parcels containing consolidations from different vendors. FedEx has chosen to be a courier for single package shipments only. You still have options. Combining packages economizes space and weight, which can save you a ton on shipping costs. You can consolidate packages to Australia and ship these consolidations with Shipito Preferred AU Post, DHL, USPS or Airmail Economy.

If you have any questions please reach out to our Support Team...

------------------------------------------

I can't find shit about this on the border.gov.au site, would this have something to do with the threats to impose GST on all goods imported / bought from overseas online sellers?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Clusterfuck
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Comment

Ebay is telling me everything I sell in Australia with have 10 gst
      Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Is it the 30th of June that the GST kicks in? Need to buy a couple of lenses.
        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Well I just ordered a heap of parts from the UK and US so I seriously hope I don't get fucked by customs, will be three separate shipments each under the existing $1k limit so let's see, with some luck they will be in before EOFY but I have to wonder what happens after that...
          Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
          Originally posted by nutttr
          People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Applies from July apparently.

Thanks for reminding me - putting together a Summit order now!

Comment

^I wonder if it's from the order date or arrival date?
              The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

As an individual importing under $1k seems fine unless you are using a consolidation service which the Govt now classes as a supplier.

Hence the email Jack received is Fedex saying they won't deliver consolidated goods as the AU Govt would class them as a supplier and therefore require registration for Australian GST.

The details are:
                Suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST.

make supplies of goods valued at $1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are purchased by consumers and are brought into Australia with the assistance of the supplier;
                treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator;
                treat redeliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the redeliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer;
                allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia to elect to access the simplified registration and reporting system; and
                prevent double taxation.

This change will apply from 1 July 2017.

Comment

Having gotten past my initial knee-jerk response, I've decided I don't really care ... if a place here were only 10% more than a place OS I'd always have opted to buy from here anyway.
                  I'm usually saving more like 75% by buying something from OS, so now I'm only saving ~72% ... meh.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

As someone who deals with international freight on a daily basis I can comfortably say Fedex are cunts anyway so just dont ship with them
                    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Shizzle, I buy a lot of used videogames from overseas for the collection, generally bulk buy - most of the time it's shipped with DHL though I assume its no change providing under $1000 value?
                      '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

So GST will apply on all goods purchased from a retailer that sells over $75k pa (excluding goods over $1,000AUD) to Australian customers. Don't know how they plan to enforce this? Are all international retailers going to have to submit their tax returns to the ATO? They also point out we are the only country cunty enough to our citizens to ever try this... End result will simply be non-compliance, or retailers refusing to do business with Australians. Thanks

Comment

Fucking Gerry Harvey. I hope he drowns next time he's bathing in all his money.

I still don't understand how this clusterfuck can even work. They've managed to alienate every entity involved. People are not going to sell to Australia because it is all to hard. At which point local retailers will go back to gouging us like they did before we discovered the internet.
                          At the end of the day it won't even be revenue positive - and they still haven't told us how they plan to do it. Last time they held my parcel to ransom they charged $90 to 'manually process' the form. That'll never work on one dollar items from China.

Comment

I'm wondering how this will impact on Steam and other software retailers.

Comment

I'm taking a guess that they will focus on companies with an Australian footprint like Kogan, eBay etc

I suspect they'll try AliExpress but I doubt they'd get very far with that.
                              ---
                              Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Working...
                              X