Latest insurance go-to for modded cars?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switched to Famous a few years back after Shannons wanted drug money for premiums. Got 2 cars with them, one modified. Agreed values and excess are good. They were also cool with listing 2 garaged addresses on the policy.

Haven't claimed anything major on either but have taken up the free windscreen replacement on both without an increase to my premium. The 86 being over 3 yrs old was non genuine but the Mustang was OEM replacement (told they're $1k as parts alone).

Comment

I said in another thread recently, but Famous wouldnt go above a certain value for my 32 despite being given a spec list.. and premium was same as Shannons

I then called Shannons and raised my agreed value significantly after sending them photos and updated specs

Ive only ever claimed once with Shannons and it was for a free windshield for my SS ute and it was no dramas

Comment

WHats the latest hotness for insurance guys?

Supra and Echo need doing both are modded
        Originally posted by The Property Guru
        don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
        Originally posted by oxy
        No, that's asians
        A80 Supra
        80 Landcruiser

Comment

Try Enthusiast. Guy who runs it is a family friend.
          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

They are actually cheap..but I don't understand how my echo is worth 5k is 750 a year and my supra 40k $777? Lol
            Originally posted by The Property Guru
            don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
            Originally posted by oxy
            No, that's asians
            A80 Supra
            80 Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
              They are actually cheap..but I don't understand how my echo is worth 5k is 750 a year and my supra 40k $777? Lol
              Echos will get into more accidents in a year, which = high risk.

Supras wont get into as many a year = low risk.

Comment

Originally posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
                What KM limit did you place on each ??
                They are HEAVILY weighted premiums if you travel more than 10,000km per year.

Eg, My Subaru Outback $15,000 (Agreed Value) comes in at $1067 for 15,000km+ but only $477 for up to 5,000km (or $303 for up to 1,000km) ( - where as both NRMA & Allianz are under $600 with no km limits) for the same car...

They have a "Don't Bullshit us" additional excess of $2,000 if you have a claim and have exceeded your km limit....

I was looking at them too for my modded Pajero.
                Will be doing a bit more investigation - but on face value - they look reasonable..

Is your Father still on the board, Chris ??

Comment

I'm currently shopping around at the moment and looking at moving several vehicles from Shannon's to Enthusiast. Looks to be considerably cheaper based on the KM usage.

Anyone else deal with the claims process apart from CosRat above?
                  '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
                  '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

Comment

My 32 gtr is $600/yr through Shannon's...agreed value of $30k (I know that is underselling it but still 2x what I paid for it) which I think is reasonable..
                    your former friendly cambodian dictator

Comment

Fucking hell. I just did an online quote for my Evo7. Currently insured with shannons for 17k @ 1800/month. Enthusiast will insure it for 25k @ 700/month

Looks like i'll be changing
                      Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

Comment

Enthusiast seem to be hit and miss - they're either more expensive, or they're loads cheaper than the other sane alternative.

They're about $10 more per month for me with the Stagea, compared to Shannons.

Comment

What's the hotness if you have multiple cars and majority get barely driven ? Old 70'ish cars.
                          Currently sitting with no insurance and it freaks me out !

Comment

I would be talking to Shannon's, enthusiast, famous, NRMA classic to get quotes. Also read each PDS carefully to make sure you know what each product offers and make your choice from there.

Personally, I have house, contents, 4 cars and one bike with Shannon's. Have been with them for over 20 years for various cars, and over 5 years for house and contents. I haven't had a problem with them at all with a few claims over the years, mainly windscreens, a not at fault claim, and one at fault claim.

At renewal time, if they are getting expensive compared to other on line quotes, I ask the question and in most cases, they can help out. Last April I got a sizeable drop in home and contents premium by asking for a review of the premium.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

^ What he said pretty much reflects my situation.

Except to expand on my situation; due to multi-policy discounts (eg. two green slips in NSW too), it's not worth my while to change. Occasionally I could save a few hundred a year by moving something to another insurer (and I've claimed a coupla times through Shannons now with the only slight problem being that they slightly push you towards using the dodgy Suncorp panel-beater unless you have another alternative), but moving ALL insurances or a few policies never works out cheaper than just staying with Shannons.

Having said that, I do live fairly close to the Red Zone, which could be why I'm paying the same for a $15k covered car as fury is for a $32k covered car (and his is a much bigger theft risk if you disregard garaging location!).
                              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Getting cheap premiums is one thing, how they handle a claim is another.

/ --------------- \
                                _/ /___________\ \_
                                /_________|_________\
                                |OOO ___________ OOO|
                                \______|====|______/
                                [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

Working...
                                X