X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest insurance go-to for modded cars?

Hi lads

Didn't find much when searching / I'm retarded.

Obviously Shannons is a starting point (despite bad experience & lots of others having the same). As JCI are gone, what's the other goss? Ryno? Famous? Dawes?

* VL Turbo - prettymuch standard (laid up cover only)
    * ED Falcon - heavily modified (currently laid up, but aiming to be on the road in a couple of months so needs to be insurable on the road)
    * Hyundai - shitbox daily Third Party Only

Market Value ok on the VL as that's easy to prove, but the Falcon needs agreed value as it's many multiples of the "normal" market value.
    Originally posted by 350stato
    100% agree with Shifty

Try these guys. Disclaimer: my Dad is on the board

https://www.enthusiast.com.au/

Our list of acceptable vehicles isnít confined to the mainstream.

Even modified cars donít scare us at all. Providing the changes made to a car comply with registration requirements and you can provide engineering approvals for modifications that require them, we are happy to consider it for cover. Enthusiast Motor wants to build relationships with clients of all ages. If youíre young and take a responsible attitude to driving and maintaining your special vehicle Enthusiast will do its best to design a policy that will deliver the cover you need at a sensible cost.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

I have my 2 cars with Famous insurance;

- '02 R34 GTR - $100K agreed value with $3K/yr premium

- '83 AE86 Hatch - $15K agreed value with $450/yr premium (cheap because the car was 25+ yrs old)

Covered with cars parked on either driveway of lock-up car-port (not 4-wall garage), can be driven everyday and parked in odd places (shops, work, mates places etc). Also you can buy additional one-off coverage for CAMS events to cover you on the track also.

NRMA vintage is no longer covering GTRs after the number of claims (engine failures and stolen vehicle) went up. When they were insuring, they mentioned the primary usage of the car should be for A-A trips (ie. car cruises, sunday drives etc.) and did not explicitly include the odd trip to work, shops, mates places. This scared me off as I use the car 2-3 times per week.

Shannons would not quote me due to not having a 4-wall lock-up garage.

Much better service ringing up Famous rather than emailing i have found.

Comment

A friend uses Famous for his Business cars (GT Falcon Sedan and SS Ute) and was happy with conditions and price. Also doing his project etc no hassles with claims etc
        ---
        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

NRMA vintage and classic. Myself and many mates with them now. Very good cover and premiums.
          CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Enthusiast are a bunch of lying thieving cunts

Comment

Im with shannons they've been good, what are the bad experiences?
              meh

Comment

Shannons for me. Never had a hassle and they even paid me out on a claim where I had fucked up and they had no obligation to....what company does that in this day and age? They did go through a rough patch with a shit underwriter a few years back but seems that has long been sorted.
                GT8
                1UZ Celica
                1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
                  NRMA vintage and classic. Myself and many mates with them now. Very good cover and premiums.
                  Just checked their PDC.
                  You now have a choice of repairer; which may not be new, but it's new since I last looked at NRMA.
                  Only sticking point for some might be <9000km/yr (would be fine for me!).
                  Might have to get me some quotes come quote-time ...
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Shannons were twice the price of NRMA. I've been hearing a lot of bad stories about Shannons lately shafting people.
                    CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
                      Shannons were twice the price of NRMA. I've been hearing a lot of bad stories about Shannons lately shafting people.
                      They didn't complain last year when I wanted to use my own repairer, just paid & it was done.
                      I do know people who've been referred to the Suncorp group repairer when they didn't have their own preferred repairer, Capitol SMART, who then totally rooted the repair job & the repair to the repair job & the repair to the repair to the repair job rinse/repeat.
                      I'd be testing the "half price" thing though, that'd put the Commode at ~$50/mo and the Volvo at ~$25/mo, which I suspect to be unlikely. But it can't hurt to ask.
                      On everything but the Volvo I've called around when insurance came up, after the multi-policy discount Shannons has always been cheapest (home+contents, unmodded insurance on Commode); but it's always been a case of not being able to get a multi-policy discount with anyone else.
                      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                        They didn't complain last year when I wanted to use my own repairer, just paid & it was done.
                        I'd be testing the "half price" thing though, that'd put the Commode at ~$50/mo and the Volvo at ~$25/mo, which I suspect to be unlikely. But it can't hurt to ask.
                        On everything but the Volvo I've called around when insurance came up, after the multi-policy discount Shannons has always been cheapest (home+contents, unmodded insurance on Commode); but it's always been a case of not being able to get a multi-policy discount with anyone else.
                        NRMA do multi-policy discounts. Have done forever. I've got two cars, house and contents and roadside assist along with green slip with them. Discounts are decent. Group A is insured for $85k and cost me $450 a year full comp. Shannons for $75k were $880 a year. SV5000 insured for $35k was only $312 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by CosRat View Post
                          Enthusiast are a bunch of lying thieving cunts
                          Do tell?

Comment

Justcarinsurance referred us to AAMI. We have a C63 insured which is $1.6k/yr premium for >25,000km/yr and my lightly modified GT 335 for $1.6k/yr premium for <15,000/yr.

The excesses are the bigger numbers now with special vehicles. The RS5 was tagged with a $4k special vehicle excess on top of the standard and adjusted stuff.
                            It makes sense as i prefer to have a lower yearly premium and get tagged only when i make a claim.

Comment

My excess is $500 on the above policies I mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X